No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

How about shipping them all to a big trailer camp on an outer island and setting up a work program?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      How about shipping them all to a big trailer camp on an outer island and setting up a work program?
      You're kidding...right?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Then we start from the beginning...again. "What can we do to help the homeless?"

1. Find solutions in bringing down the high cost of living in the State.

2. Rental Control

3. Family Education (Domestic, Child Abuse, Drug Abuse, etc. etc. etc.)

4. Job Opportunities, Education, Skill Training and Job Placements

The list goes on and on.

Have a team of people who have been there and done that. Not people who go by books and only stay in offices who push pencil and pens. But who go out into the areas and talk to the people one on one.

It can be done. It should be done.

Auntie Lynn

btw: No listen to me. I'm MENTAL.hehehe

Well, here are my $.02.

1) Get rid of GET tax. This tax is levied at all levels from manufacturer to wholesaler to distributor to customer. Read somewhere if you factor in the multiple times a product gets taxed, the customer ultimately pays something like 15% in tax. So let's switch to a sales tax or even a VAT tax. Even if the sales tax is set at 10%, it looks crazy compared to 4.5% but it's a simple sales tax only levied at the customer level. And in addition, no tax on food. This will shift the burden of taxes away from the poor as food is a necessary expenditure, not a luxury item.

2) Not too big on rental control because that sorta distorts a market economy. Rather, I like to see new zoning laws approved where ultra high density buildings are allowed. People tend to freak out and think, omg, it's gonna be a NYC or Tokyo. But no, I'm not saying develop the entire island. I'm saying zone open spaces as that to preserve them and then zone developed areas to permit even more density. A developer will gladly build 500 units that are only 350 sq feet each in a 50 story building if allowed and there is money to be made. But such a small unit will command a lower rental price, at a level the poor can afford. I don't see why the poor would reject that. It may be small but it's your own unit, you are protected from the elements, it gives you a home so you can rebuild your life and work your way up to bigger and better homes.

3) Privatize the public school system. Make each public school run independently and have them vie for a piece of the state budget based on their performance results. That will improve the quality of education without the usual "let's throw more money at the issue". Also give each child tuition vouchers so they can choose where they want their education.

4) Diversify the economy. It's always just talk, little is really done to grow Hawaii's economy into a multi-facet economy. Without that, there will always be limited careers and growth. Why else do Hawaii's brightest always leave the state for greener pastures?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          You're kidding...right?
          Well...yeah. But so was Auntie, when she made that list of suggestions...wasn't she?

Comment

Well...yeah. But so was Auntie, when she made that list of suggestions...wasn't she?
            Susie, I don't kid about the Homeless! It is one of my Passions I take very SERIOUSLY!

K-den...I'm outta hea. I gotta go to go see my Heart docta!

Auntie Lynn

btw: joshuatree, great ideas! Keep um coming...hopefully, somebody high in office reading!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Susie...you're suggestion compared to Auntie's suggestions is like comparing apples to oranges. Lynn said it best herself. I have nothing more to add.

Comment

Okay, den....trailor parks and not work camps. On Oahu.

Comment

On KITV4 WebSite http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...38/detail.html

Police Evict Homeless From Ala Moana, Thomas Square
                  Homeless Say They Have No Where Left To Go

"HONOLULU -- Police and parks workers swept through Ala Moana Beach Park and Thomas Square on Wednesday evicting a number of homeless campers who said they have run out of places to live.

The campers said shelters are full and that they were not doing anyone any harm at the park.

"The whole blame goes on people who were paid to help and to plan to see that people have housing," Thomas Square camper Robert Fortune said. "Why should we be criminalized simply because we have no place to live?"

Ok. What is happening? Is it a one a year clean thing? It happened last year about the same time. Remember? Last year, it started about this time with the Ala Moana eviction. So...maybe Mufi wen look at his calender and decided to do a annual clean-up?

Da nerve!

Where do the Homeless go? I'll tell you. They will go into your neighborhoods. They will go wherever they can. In doorways, under bridges, anyplace where they can find some place to sleep. They are Humans ...just like us. Down and out. Once again...many of us are just one pay check away from being like them.

Compassion. Show Compassion. Love and Aloha. It DOESN'T COST ANYTHING!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

It's really, really hard to watch this happening from this side of the world.

What's going on?! How did this get to such a horrific point? How far will it go to?

I don't like clicking onto this thread.

Comment

It's really, really hard to watch this happening from this side of the world.

What's going on?! How did this get to such a horrific point? How far will it go to?

Susie, if there was an easy answer there would be no problem. Unfortunately, there isn't. The fact is Homelessness has always existed and the worst is yet to come.

I know many stories of individuals who work and are homeless. One of a Police Officer, another of an Airport Inspector, Yes! TRUE STORIES!! Both Homeless. There are many like them.

For many ~ they live in their automobiles. Still, many are fortunate to live with relatives. For the rest...they seek wherever they can find. Hoping and praying Society lets them rest for just a while.

They are the Forgotten...but not to some.

They exist.

People do care but not enough.

It will get worse before it gets better...as the saying goes.

It doesn't have to be.

For every problem there is a solution.

Just gotta get those with 'brains' and doer's together instead of bull watchamacallits and wishful thinkers.

Four years of Non-Compassion is Enough. I'm looking forward to the next Mayoral Election! I dunno who is going to run but I am going to work my arse off for the candidate that runs against you know who!

ED CASE for Mayor!heheheh

Auntie Lynn
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; March 29, 2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

That's understandable, Susie. Homelessness has become one of the most difficult issues we face as a nation - and it's extremely unpleasant to see. Yet, if we have compassion in our souls, we can not turn away from it. But it's hard to know just what are the best things to do, isn't it? Ignoring it isn't among the useful options, I fear.

Susie, if there was an easy answer there would be no problem. Unfortunately, there isn't. The fact is Homelessness has always existed and the worst is yet to come.

Four years of Non-Compassion is Enough. I'm looking forward to the next Mayoral Election! I dunno who is going to run but I am going to work my arse off for the candidate that runs against you know who!
                        I sure wish we could trust politicians to be involved and to fund and support the reasonable solutions that people close to the crisis have put forward over the past decades - but I don't believe we can. It would be easy for me to fall back into my own liberal mindset and blame past and present GOP administrations - but it's not that simple (and saying "I told you so" will feed and house no one.)

Until our elected representatives are willing to listen and to fund effective solutions that may not be popular with a majority of their constituency, then as Lynn says, the worst is indeed yet to come.

Comment

I know many stories of individuals who work and are homeless. One of a Police Officer, another of an Airport Inspector, Yes! TRUE STORIES!! Both Homeless. There are many like them.

For many ~ they live in their automobiles. Still, many are fortunate to live with relatives. For the rest...they seek wherever they can find. Hoping and praying Society lets them rest for just a while.

They are the Forgotten...but not to some.

They exist.

People do care but not enough.

It will get worse before it gets better...as the saying goes.

It doesn't have to be.

For every problem there is a solution.

Just gotta get those with 'brains' and doer's together instead of bull watchamacallits and wishful thinkers.

ED CASE for Mayor!heheheh

Auntie Lynn
                          I've said it once before and I'll say it again. Someone in a position of power, please step in encourage building a high density, 350 sq ft or less per unit, apt building. Use people's greed as leverage to solving the homeless issue. Developers will build such a building if money is to be made. The state will not have to fork over a dime. At a smaller size, a smaller unit will command a smaller rent premium which would be affordable to those homeless such as the Police Officer or Airport Inspector. It would help them. It's a win-win scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            I've said it once before and I'll say it again. Someone in a position of power, please step in encourage building a high density, 350 sq ft or less per unit, apt building.[...]would be affordable to those homeless such as the Police Officer or Airport Inspector.[...]
                            What about families? I'm very familiar with small space living (and love it, btw!) but I can't imagine more than 2 people living in my current 400 sq. ft., one bedroom condo. To be honest, I wouldn't even think of sharing that small space with another person but I'm fortunate enough to not have to. Four people are allowed per the house rules. There was once a family of 5 living next door in the same floor plan as mine. Two were young teens. I don't know how they did it. Come to think of it, there were a lot of "domestics" comin' out of that small space.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              What about families? I'm very familiar with small space living (and love it, btw!) but I can't imagine more than 2 people living in my current 400 sq. ft., one bedroom condo. To be honest, I wouldn't even think of sharing that small space with another person but I'm fortunate enough to not have to. Four people are allowed per the house rules. There was once a family of 5 living next door in the same floor plan as mine. Two were young teens. I don't know how they did it. Come to think of it, there were a lot of "domestics" comin' out of that small space.
                              There's no doubt a small unit would be far from ideal for a family. But if you're homeless, would you rather be able to afford a roof over your family's head, albeit a small roof, or roughing it out in a tent on the beach or park? These high density buildings should have a nice large park next to them so people won't go crazy with the cramp space. They can step out, get some air. What I'm describing is basically what many Asian cities do with large housing projects. I think we can take a page out of their play book to help address our homeless situation.

Comment

I think I've said this before (maybe on this very thread?)...but campers might be a solution. They are tiny little compact houses, that can take you to work, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X