No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

Originally posted by GnosticWarrior View Post
    Okay, ultra high density buildings can be built profitably. They would also help increase the supply of affordable housing. It is using the land for its maximum potential. Now, is it residents of these certain areas who oppose the zoning changes for this to happen? Are developers just complying with current laws and if given the option to choose a UHDB design, they would? Does it entail a lengthy process with community input?

It could be possible that local govt. can’t think out of the box, that’s expected. However, it must be UHDB’s are not profitable enough for the industry players to really push for it. Seems like they can do it to build new hotels and resorts. I believe they could buy local govt. if they wanted to get the zoning changes done. I don’t see residents being as resistant with UHDB’s as they are with the North Shore resort development.

So if there’s profits to be made and residents are for it, I can’t understand why UHDB’s can’t be done? I believe it has to do with demand. Hawaii has sex appeal and that sells. People want to buy their fantasies, not practicality. This demand creates higher prices. People see their friends making money flipping houses and this creates more demand and higher prices. Those who actually want to own a home to live in fear that if they don’t buy now, they’ll be none left later so they do what it takes and pay these higher prices. This higher demand, higher prices scenario plays out, till no one can afford or demand cools off and no one wants to buy.

I think only if the demand is still high but there’s too many credit worthy individuals who just can’t afford to pay the high prices, would developers then consider building UHDB’s. It hasn’t reached that point yet. Practicality ultimately must prevail over fantasy. So I think in the long run the invisible hand will work. In fact after writing this, I have more confidence that most people; community, industry, local govt., and buyers will eventually come to their senses. It is unfortunately, that homelessness due to unaffordability is part of the market cycle. However, these homeless cannot be avoided. They will either play a role in creating lower demand and price declines for existing developments or greater demand for new UHDB’s being built.
    Yes, I would say there would be residents of an area opposing to UHDBs. Everyone has this notion that a UHDB will block their view, although I have to laugh at that because if you're a resident living in and around metro Honolulu, what view? If anything, people tend to forget that buildings themselves are part of the landscape in a city and UHDBs can create new views.

I don't pretend to know all the zoning regulations out there but clearly developers are building only what's allowed. For instance, the current building height limit is 400 feet. First Hawaiian building is the only exception at 438 feet, making it the tallest building in the state. I see no reason why the limit can't be pushed to 500 or 600 feet. Guess people feel that all of a sudden, every new construction project will hit 600 feet. But that's a lot of baseless hysteria. For instance, the construction at the Ward Villages will only hit 220 feet, far short of the 400 feet limit. The govt can also set certain areas with regulations that encourage UHDBs, maybe property tax breaks, or allowances in permitting 4 people to live in less than 400 sq ft?

It is because of all this real estate speculation that has increased the homeless population as not everyone can afford to play this game. Therefore, the opportunity already exists for UHDBs to cash in. I think another problem is the psychological factor. People in Hawaii/US are ingrained with the mentality that everyone's gotta have a nice front yard, back yard, two car garage, etc, as the definition of a home. If people start accepting the living habits of people in Asia with the UHDBs, they will readily be accepted. But I strongly believe this wouldn't be an issue if you build a UHDB and charged "affordable" rental rates. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of homeless with jobs that bring in smaller incomes that will jump at the chance to have a roof over their heads vs a tent on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      I don't pretend to know all the zoning regulations out there but clearly developers are building only what's allowed. For instance, the current building height limit is 400 feet. First Hawaiian building is the only exception at 438 feet, making it the tallest building in the state. I see no reason why the limit can't be pushed to 500 or 600 feet.
      Just so happens there was a write up in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin on the City Council passing a resolution urging the building permit department to allow more flexible height limits in downtown Honolulu. Hopefully they'll allow up to 600 ft. Maybe a step in the right direction but not necessarily addressing UHDB's.

Comment

I'm sure most of the readers in here are aware of my aversion to reading, so take this with a grain of salt (or he hasn't read anything previously posted)

Has government assisted/provided housing accomplished much? I ask this question b/c I'm not sure I know enough about it - however my own exposure to public housing has led me to believe that the government, despite it's good intentions, is wholly incopetent when it comes to operating housing. Any thoughts?

I always imagined as a youngin' that I would be a millionaire (gotta dream) and I would be able to build public housing with a catch. There would be a job that each apartment/house mate would provide for the betterment of the building. I guess we have to be dreamers, or life would lose it's meaning. I guess as long as we live our lives in a drunken stupor, we'll be okay. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Has government assisted/provided housing accomplished much? I ask this question b/c I'm not sure I know enough about it - however my own exposure to public housing has led me to believe that the government, despite it's good intentions, is wholly incopetent when it comes to operating housing. Any thoughts?
          Which is why I rather push for an ultra high density dwelling built entirely by the private sector for profit. But each unit is ultra small which translates to affordable rental rates.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Which is why I rather push for an ultra high density dwelling built entirely by the private sector for profit. But each unit is ultra small which translates to affordable rental rates.
            If you stick poor people into tiny apartments, you might end up with even more troubles.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              I'm sure most of the readers in here are aware of my aversion to reading, so take this with a grain of salt (or he hasn't read anything previously posted)

heheheh...so early in dee morning. But I'll give ya my thoughts.

I live in Public Housing. Rules and Regulations ARE supposed to be followed and abide by. But are NOT! There are Tenants whom get evicted for breaking Rules and Regulations and there are the privelge who don't.

What kind of Rules? The continiung Drama of Drugs and Illegal Activities which are known by management! I could go on and on but I won't...it's too early in da morning. I need my coffee. It's Monday.

Plus, dis is the Homeless Thread.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                If you stick poor people into tiny apartments, you might end up with even more troubles.
                In what way? If someone is prone to be a troublemaker, it's not gonna matter if they get to live in a tiny apt or a large home in Kahala.

Comment

Note to Joshua Tree

Real Estate Speculation only happens in markets where SUPPLY is restricted. The amount of protest and activism in the State of Hawaii virtually guarantees that SUPPLY is restricted, but not because of government failures. The reason for RE speculation in Hawaii is rooted in activist liberalism. The irony is that many of the folks doing the protesting often do not own their own dwelling. So by their protest, they exclude only themselves. Remember, THERE IS NO DWELLING SHORTAGE IN HAWAII if you have enough money.

Real Estate Speculators love markets that are filled with protest and activism towards the construction industry.

This is not my "opinion."
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

In The Honolulu Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...04070331/1001/

N. Shore homeless numbers climbing

By Eloise Aguiar

"The homeless population in the North Shore, though small compared with Wai'anae and Honolulu, is growing, according to advocates who are concerned about what they say is a disturbing trend.

The homeless problem on the North Shore has grown slowly but that could change as housing costs increase, development expands and the homeless are pushed out of other communities such as Honolulu and Wai'anae, said Darlene Hein, program director for the Waikiki Health Center's Care-A-Van."

Homelessness is not only in one area. It is everywhere. Look in your neighborhoods! Remember ~ many are only one paycheck away from being Homeless themselves.

Love and ALOHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In The StarBulletin this morning Police, Fire, Courts http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/16/news/briefs.html

Homeless man robbed in Nanakuli

"Two men were arrested for allegedly stealing a homeless man's backpack and groceries outside a gas station in Nanakuli early Saturday morning.

The men, ages 17 and 18, approached the 50-year-old homeless man sitting in the Tesoro gas station parking lot on Farrington Highway at about 3 a.m."

They were arrested.

This pisses me OFF! The Homeless do not have NUTTIN! Yet, there those who have the nerve to go after them and cause more grief. It boils down to being brought up without any sense of respecting others or having compassion.

Auwe!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Hui Auntie Lynn,

I really enjoyed helping you to feed the homeless today. It really gives you a warm feeling inside to know that you have positively impacted a person in need.

It also makes you realize how fortunate you really are, in comparison to people who don't even have a permanent place to call home.

Comment

The StarBulletin started a three part series on The Homeless yesterday. Written by By Nina wu.http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/21/news/story04.html So far I like what I've been reading. I had a hard time where to put my comment on this morning.

Here or on the Urban Myth Thread.heheheh

Well, I put it hea cause it is about The Homeless in general.

Today's story "Not Seeking Shelter."

Most of the ones who were "interviewed" were not from here. Hmmm..what Samurai123 posted on the Urban Thread? I not in good in math but the percentage is pretty high for neba mine.

Homeless is still HOMELESS!!!

Don't get me wrong. I feel and care for the Homeless. However, I don't give a rat's butt if a person don't want to help them self to get get betta. Look at the picture in the Newspaper. Sitting on the arses as if no care in the world. Receiving Government Assistance for Christ's sake!

There are those without any limbs working!!! People who are blind and working!! People who are deaf and working!! And they get their nerve to sit on their okoles to wait and grumble....THE NERVE!

Only in Hawai'i ~ we have FAT and HEALTHY HomeLESS and Hungry people.

This past Saturday, a woman came up to the line where I was standing and asked if she can have her sandwich without any cheese.

"Wat!! Dis not McDonalds!!" I sarcastically told her.

I had enough. Sharon looked at me and told me I needed a break.

Yes...I got tired of people taking ADVANTAGE of the System and of US!!!

But I had my break.

I can not judge and be MAD at them. For they are Homeless and without. I must remember the time when I was also without. It doesn't matter whether one is Fat, Skinny, Tall, Short, Black, White, Hawaiian, Japanese, Filipino, Local, etc. Homeless and Hungry hits everyone ~ we are all HUMAN!

Prejudice has no room in my HEART.

I APOLOGIZE.

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; May 21, 2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

"Can I have my sandwich without cheese?"

Yes you can. Just open the sandwich, and remove the cheese. Duh?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              "Can I have my sandwich without cheese?"

Yes you can. Just open the sandwich, and remove the cheese. Duh?
                              Tim, Sharon's son did tell her and another man that same answer.

The woman and man walked away. All HABUT and too lazy to do it.

Another homeless man looked at me and told me...

"Have it your way Auntie! Burger King!!"

I told um "SHUT UP!!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I still say that a nice little camper would solve many a homeless family's problems.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X