No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

I took the Bus. I couldn't carry all the items I have ~ so I took just one BIG bag full. I left it with "Uncle John." A homeless man, an icon of sorts on Ft. Street Mall, selling his newspapers seven days a week ~ rain or shine.

He will give it to Sharon when she arrives.

I had to hele back home to take care of MAMA.
    (and go back on my computa)

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

fuck the homeless bums!
      lousy leeches dont deserve working taxpayer money just extermination!
      when america collapses the cities will burn and the lowlife welfare scum will be the first of the undesirables to be hunted down and extinguished!
      cant wait for the cleansing!
      darwins law!
      evolution!
      depopulation cycles!
      its about time!
      the world will watch and celebrate!
      free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Comment

Originally posted by arrakis
        fuck the homeless bums!
        when america collapses the cities will burn and the lowlife welfare scum will be the first of the undesirables to be hunted down and extinguished!
        darwins law!
        evolution!
        depopulation cycles!
        its about time!
        Hala! Ya wen use BAD BAD WORD!

hANACOOCOOLEILEI!!! yA GONNA GET IT!!!

btw: The "POOR" shall be "RICH" in Heaven!

l.v.
        Last edited by 1stwahine; February 5, 2006, 02:34 AM.

Comment

fuck the homeless bums!
          darwins law!
          evolution!
          depopulation cycles!
          its about time!
          Would this include those under 4 feet tall?
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

fuck the homeless bums!
            darwins law!
            evolution!
            depopulation cycles!
            its about time!
            arrakis
            Keiki Join Date: Jun 2005

Camping before renting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is my plan to get home to hawaii. Fly our conversion van over; cost around 1200.00. Buy 6 tickets around 169.00;one way to oahu. Camp at the state parks that have showers and restrooms. We have a huge family cabin tent. "
            ...........etc...

DUDE THIS IS WHAT YOU YOURSELF POSTED A WHILE BACK!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              arrakis
              Keiki Join Date: Jun 2005

Camping before renting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is my plan to get home to hawaii. Fly our conversion van over; cost around 1200.00. Buy 6 tickets around 169.00;one way to oahu. Camp at the state parks that have showers and restrooms. We have a huge family cabin tent. "
              ...........etc...

DUDE THIS IS WHAT YOU YOURSELF POSTED A WHILE BACK!!!!
              OMG!!! You da man manoasurfer123! Excellent Detective work!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

there are no easy quik fix solutions but it is sad to see the homeless problem escalate from so many different angles...

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/06/b...s/story01.html

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  there are no easy quik fix solutions but it is sad to see the homeless problem escalate from so many different angles...

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/06/b...s/story01.html
                  This is completely heartbreaking. And you're right, Kimo...there are just no easy or quick fixes.

Comment

it's just part and parcel of the model of the societal/economic structure - format that we "chose"...

We implicitly accept this small fragile island will be over run and many lives displaced on many levels, for we have become another burg resembling a hamlet of El Lay. It's the amerikan dream. Say 'aloha' to the Hawaii we once knew. It didn't die a natural death. We didn't simply kill it either. We requisitioned its death, accellerated it, commanded it to stand out on the road nekkit, while we gleefully ordered an asphalt paver run over it repeatedly til it was nothing more than a grisly bloodsplotch on the road that backs up with 3 mph traffic all day and nite.
                    Last edited by kimo55; February 6, 2006, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Ahhh...the plight of the Homeless escalates again? Mahalo Kimo for the link from SB. I read and re-read the article. My heart goes out to the mother and her daughter.

However, as a resident of HCCDH - I understand the rules and the regulations that must be followed. It is not hard at all. Rent is adjusted accordingly to a criteria in which is based upon one's income. There is allowances for being disabled and for utilities.

When one is late for payment - it is only too easy to make arrangements with Management. I know. I have upon many times been LATE. Infact, last month - I was Late due to some misunderstanding in recieving my Widow's Benefits.

To have gone without paying rent that long is both Management and the Renter's fault. Yes, maybe she didn't understand. Why didn't she have someone help her instead of waiting so long?

There are many agencies available to help. Unfortunately, many tenants don't want the help till it's too late. HCCDH sends out a Newsletter to all their tenants every month along with the rent bill. It also lists numbers in which Tenants can call to ask for assistance.

Each Project has their own Tenant Association. Also, another place to ask questions and recieve help.

It is unfortunate that she is in this situation. I am not heartless but the reality of it all is ~ it could have been avoided.

Sincerely,

Lynn Vasquez
                      Mayor Wright Housing Resident
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; February 6, 2006, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Auntie procrastinating is one of our most evil traits as human beings. We wait and wait until we actually believe that the problem is so far away it's forgotten.

Too bad about that wahine and her child but part of being independant is being responsible too. Unfortunately many of us choose not to be responsible and expect someone else to fix their problems.

Stories in the papers tell a story a certain way (spin as we call it) but there are two sides to a story and I'm sure there is more to this one than the reader is lead to believe.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Auntie procrastinating is one of our most evil traits as human beings. We wait and wait until we actually believe that the problem is so far away it's forgotten.

Too bad about that wahine and her child but part of being independant is being responsible too. Unfortunately many of us choose not to be responsible and expect someone else to fix their problems.

Stories in the papers tell a story a certain way (spin as we call it) but there are two sides to a story and I'm sure there is more to this one than the reader is lead to believe.
                          I agree the spin is thick on this story...but it's still unfortunate.
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

Of course, there are always 2 sides to every story...maybe even more. The woman in the article has a language barrier but, more important, she has lupus which can be debilitating, especially when flare-ups hit. Those can impact sleep which then impacts emotions. Depression sets in. That downward spiral can reek havoc. Getting out of bed can be an overwhelming decision...much less trying to make financial arrangements with limited language skills. My heart goes out to this woman. I can't imagine being homeless with a chronic illness. Auntie Lynn, shouldn't someone within DHHS have been appointed as her case worker? I'm not familiar with the system at all so I may have stated this inaccurately. Or did she just slip thru the cracks?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                              Of course, there are always 2 sides to every story...maybe even more. The woman in the article has a language barrier but, more important, she has lupus which can be debilitating, especially when flare-ups hit. Those can impact sleep which then impacts emotions. Depression sets in. That downward spiral can reek havoc. Getting out of bed can be an overwhelming decision...much less trying to make financial arrangements with limited language skills. My heart goes out to this woman. I can't imagine being homeless with a chronic illness. Auntie Lynn, shouldn't someone within DHHS have been appointed as her case worker? I'm not familiar with the system at all so I may have stated this inaccurately. Or did she just slip thru the cracks?
                              Dear Tutusue, I also feel for this woman and her child. As I stated in my prior post - I believe this was all avoidable. Yes, if she is recieving Welfare, she certainly has a case worker. Being disabled also enables her to have a Social Worker...more importantly because she has a child. Her child's Counselor at school should be have been well aware of the situation and should have brought it to the attention to agencies who could have assisted the woman. The list goes on and on.

An excellent Agency that helps those who have "Limited English" is Pacific Gateway Center 808 484-5437

Bottom Line ~ Rent wasn't PAID. No excuses. "Spin" or not!

How do I know all of this? I've been there. Done that.

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; February 6, 2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The media spotlight on Josephine Wong's case has brought offers of help, including one from Peter Gellatly and Network Media. Similar to the story of Corona Teo, who was profiled by KHON a while back and also found a benefactor in Tim Guard.

Sadly, media spotlights on individual family plights and the resulting acts of sympathy aren't a sustainable solution. And they actually leave me wondering about the hundreds of others in similar circumstances whose stories will never be tragic or compelling enough for TV or the papers, but are no less real.

The Star-Bulletin notes the HCDCH "faces a huge backlog in public-housing demand." While there are many legitimate, unfortunate reasons why a family might not be able to pay their rent, and end up tens of thousands of dollars behind... isn't allowing them to remain almost indefinitely as the wheels of bureaucracy grind nearly as unfair? At least to another family that's in a shelter or on the streets right now, a family that would consider paying $315/mo. for a place in public housing a miracle?

That said, I really feel for Josephine Wong and Corona Teo and everyone else in a similar bind. I honestly wonder myself just how far my family might be from homelessness -- just how many wrong turns or accidents it would take to be suddenly stuck with no place to go. This is a "big picture" problem, but it definitely hits home when examined on the personal scale.

Comment

Working...
                                X