Seeking Local Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seeking Local Advice

Auntie is sooo right. She makes so many good points.

Here's a recent, minor experience: on my drive back from a short Los Angeles vacation last week, I stopped off at a Paso Robles winery, near Hwy 46 / Hwy 101. Three workers served several other tasters, who arrived after I did, at the small tasting bar and ignored me for a long time. While easy to do, I won't assume that my being ornamental had anything to do with this uncomfortably long delay.

Still, I ended the $10 tasting of its red wines by purchasing a couple of $35 bottles of cabs. Now, I know there are other reputable wineries along Hwy 46, but would have missed this delicious cab had I left.

Advice (appropriate, even if from the mainland): You just roll with the punches. Most times, like this one, it's worth it.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
      "I believe racial pride is wrong. I am entitled to that opinion. I don't think people should be "proud" of an accident of birth, whether Hawaii, Indian, Scottish or anything else. Ooh, I'm such a hater!"

Racial pride is wrong? I don't get it. Aren't you proud of who you are? I'm proud of my accident of birth, of everything that I've been blessed with; diseases and all.

I don't think you are a hater; although you do come off that way. I think you're unhappy. But thats just my opinon I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
      Perhaps she was referring to the concept of racial SUPERIORITY? Thinking one is better just because of color, ethnicity, etc?
      Now THAT'S got to be on everyone's list of "wrong."
      To take pride in one's heritage, IMHO, is not wrong. Sharing traditions is a great thing. To hold up that heritage as superior to the heritage of others and rubbing the noses of others in it is way wrong, however.

Comment

My take is that if you expect to be discriminated against you'll let those little things bother you. Those things are common occurences. I was born and raised here and that stuff happens to me too.

Kinda like when I first went to Georgia and Florida to visit my wife's side I was so apprehensive at first, being a "brownie". "Whoa did you see how that guy was sizing me up?" "Why's everyone looking at me?" My wife and her family laughed at me and told me I was paranoid. Turns out that people there are really nice and dare I say more respectful than here.

Anyway, I'm glad that your feeling like your finding the groove here in Hawaii.

Comment

Because if she meant "superiority" she would have said so. Maddie is an incredibly articulate person with an editor's eyeball. It is that this topic sees more of her visceral nature than her cerebral, and I for one am always frustrated when something as profoundly insipid as race comes up, particularly when it becomes a guise for classist warfare.

Of course, that stems from the countless times over the years that I have been asked if I was going to pay for my big gulp with cash or food stamps. Even if I am clean and casually dressed, I apparently look the part. One can console herself only so often that it is because of a modest and humble demeanor, but even that wears thin over time.
          Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; June 12, 2006, 10:21 AM. Reason: there are only so many adjectives necessary for healthful daily living.

pax

Comment

A lot of the misunderstanding comes from the way mainland haoles (myself included) were raised. I didn't know that I was part French-Canadian/Iriquois until a relative did some genealogical research. I don't identify with that culture, because my parent's generation did everything they could to assimilate, to the point of being ashamed of their heritage. My dad never spoke French around the house, but he didn't learn English until he was a teenager. My mom got angry with me when I challenged our relatives to use their given name Ostrovski instead of the Anglicized Ostroff.

I make it a point to respect the positive aspects of others' cultures (food, music, etc.) but ignore the negative aspects (macho posturing, clannishness, etc.)

Comment

Quote:
              Kittens, sunrises and long moonlit walks on the beach don't piss me off.

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Where's Kimo when you need him?
              Kimo pisses off Maddy enuff as it is. Prolly cuz he hasn't taken her on beachlit walks on the moon lately. Or whatever it was.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                Quote:
                Kittens, sunrises and long moonlit walks on the beach don't piss me off.

Kimo pisses off Maddy enuff as it is. Prolly cuz he hasn't taken her on beachlit walks on the moon lately. Or whatever it was.

Or play wit her kitty
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  Or play wit her kitty
                  OMG! I just spilt my dessert of chocolate ice-cream with hot fudge on my desk! Luckily, it didn't go on my COMPUTA!!!!

Kitty? ROFLMAO

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Or play wit her kitty
                    too furry.

Comment

Working...
                    X