Seeking Local Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seeking Local Advice

I think what I said may have come out the wrong way. I spend a lot of time in Japan, and if you have ever rode on a Tokyo subway during rush hour you would know what I am talking about. Ride a subway during rush hour and stand in the area in front of the door. I have experimented with this by looking right at people as they got off and trying to hold my ground until they say something. I got pushed all the way out on to the platform with not so much as a direct look in the eyes or an excuse me. It was pretty funny. Now go to a building somewhere and try holding a door open for someone. It doesn't matter who you are. Whether you are white or Japanese. 9 times out of 10 you will not get an "Arrigotto" or a "Sumimasen." It is a cultural difference about saying excuse me. For someone (most likely an American) who is not used to it, it comes off as rude. There are a lot of Japanese transplants here. I just didn't want him to take it personally when it most likely has nothing to do with him.

Comment

Originally posted by haole_pupule
      I think what I said may have come out the wrong way. I spend a lot of time in Japan, and if you have ever rode on a Tokyo subway during rush hour you would know what I am talking about. Ride a subway during rush hour and stand in the area in front of the door. I have experimented with this by looking right at people as they got off and trying to hold my ground until they say something. I got pushed all the way out on to the platform with not so much as a direct look in the eyes or an excuse me. It was pretty funny. Now go to a building somewhere and try holding a door open for someone. It doesn't matter who you are. Whether you are white or Japanese. 9 times out of 10 you will not get an "Arrigotto" or a "Sumimasen." It is a cultural difference about saying excuse me. For someone (most likely an American) who is not used to it, it comes off as rude. There are a lot of Japanese transplants here. I just didn't want him to take it personally when it most likely has nothing to do with him.
      I don't think that that Tokyo subway rudeness is specifically a Japanese thing. I think it's a big-city thing. People in New York and Hong Kong are known for their rudeness, too.

Comment

As far as the Domincan Flag that you have in your car, be proud of who you are. I think you should get a big f'n flag and have it mounted in the center of the roof, or get one of those airbrushed flags. Those are cool. I saw a pickup truck the other day that had a hawaiian flag airbrushed across the tailgate...very nice...made me want one.

Comment

Originally posted by haole_pupule
          I have experimented with this by looking right at people as they got off and trying to hold my ground until they say something. I got pushed all the way out on to the platform with not so much as a direct look in the eyes or an excuse me.
          See, there's the problem. You tried to do something outside of the usual, accepted procedures for riding on/entering-exiting from the Tokyo subway at rush hour.

Japan is a land filled with proper ways of doing things, where most of the people know what each other will do in circumstances such as these, so everyone knows their part and the process flows smoothly. That's why the trains run on time, for example.

You tried to circumvent the standard process (which some would view as you trying to impose outsider ways) with your experiment, and people chose to ignore you as if you didn't exist - you created an air of potential conflict with your "look-me-in-the-eyes" attitude, and direct conflict is to be avoided at all costs in polite Japanese society.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down. If people were to validate your unusual actions, the trains would run late, and the Jenga tower that is Japanese behavior would erode and collapse. That is how it would be seen.

Comment

Nice one leo. That was awesome...jenga tower.

It is a very machined society.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              Don't get me started on those idiots who fly the state flag upside down, then walk into the grocery store and buy cigarettes and shitty green beer with their cash while they pay for their Cheetos, Pampers and TV dinners with EBT cards.

Stop the hypocrisy!
              And I thought I was the only one who painted with a broad brush. It's good to know that I am in company, perhaps not good company, but company nonetheless.

If you really want to stop the hypocrisy, start with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
                And I thought I was the only one who painted with a broad brush. It's good to know that I am in company, perhaps not good company, but company nonetheless.

If you really want to stop the hypocrisy, start with yourself.
                Well, that made no sense. But thanks for playing!

Comment

I should put this stuff in the "what pisses me off" thread. Vanity, racial pride and/or stereotyping, and foul language/behavior displayed publicly really piss me off. And makes me depressed about the human race.

Don't get me started on those idiots who fly the state flag upside down, then walk into the grocery store and buy cigarettes and shitty green beer with their cash while they pay for their Cheetos, Pampers and TV dinners with EBT cards.

Stop the hypocrisy!
                  "These are for people who have not actually accomplished anything, so they fall back on their race/ethnicity in a sad attempt to hitch their wagon to someone else's ... what, I'm not sure."

ooooooooooooo.... You know what? I'm 28 years old, a 30% disabled veteran an I'm already in the senior ranks of the federal civil service. I hate a$$ hats like you who scuttle out from under the dusty refrigerator, belch out ignorant bliss and disappear among the dried pasta sauce, beer bottle caps and dust bunnies. I'm the only one of 250 of my peers that stood up and said I will sacrifice my freedom, possibly lose my life and risk financial hardship to protect YOUR right to show everyone in this forum that you are a bigot.

I'm proud to be a Dominican/American.BTW.. everyone else who offered their input (not ignorant insults) I appreciate your input and advice. All of you except for the bigot were of a great help to my PROUDLY HISPANIC family.

Chris Collado
                  everyone else bigot
                  Last edited by chriscollado; June 11, 2006, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Any follow up to how things are going now?
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Things are ALOT better. We have alot of local friends now and we all get together at least once a week. We have settled in just nicely now. I'm glad my wife is feeling better, that is all that matters to me, you know ...If momma ain't happy....

Thank you.
                      not the bigot

Comment

Originally posted by chriscollado
                        I'm proud to be a Dominican/American.BTW.. everyone else who offered their input (not ignorant insults) I appreciate your input and advice. All of you except for the bigot were of a great help to my PROUDLY HISPANIC family.
                        I wasn't referring to people who fly their ancestral nation's flags. I think that's great and adds to the wonderful tapestry of the U.S.A.

I was referring to people who fly the Hawaii state flag upside down, then take government benefits. It's hypocritical.

Thank you for your service to this country. I appreciate it more than I could ever express. You are an honor to the uniform.

P.S. I honestly have no idea why you called me a "bigot," but I'm pretty sure you grossly misinterpreted one of my posts. I did say that I am opposed to people using race as a way to get special treatment, but that's not bigotry -- it's the opposite. We all should be treated equally. Why should I be treated differently because I'm American Indian? It makes no sense. I am as strong and as hard-working and as intelligent as you or anyone else. I don't need to be treated like a child. Yes, that offends me, and it should offend you, too.

Now I'm pissed off that you called me a bigot!
                        Last edited by MadAzza; June 11, 2006, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I wasn't referring to people who fly their ancestral nation's flags. I think that's great and adds to the wonderful tapestry of the U.S.A.

I was referring to people who fly the Hawaii state flag upside down, then take government benefits. It's hypocritical.

Now I'm pissed off that you called me a bigot!
                          You want to know what is really hypocritical.. making sweeping assumptions like the one above.

You get your granny panties in a bunch anytime you construe someone's post to be bashing haoles and then have the nerve to make the same type of inflammatory post. Do you think you're better than everybody else? grow up!

Comment

You want to know what is really hypocritical.. making sweeping assumptions like the one above.

You get your granny panties in a bunch anytime you construe someone's post to be bashing haoles and then have the nerve to make the same type of inflammatory post. Do you think you're better than everybody else? grow up!

I believe racial preferences are wrong. I specifically stated that I think no race or ethnicity is better than another. Yes, that is a sweeping statement. Please explain how it is "bashing" anyone. (I won't hold my breath.)

That chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy.

ETA: I just figured it out. You have an upside-down state flag decal on your car, and you're on welfare/food stamps. OK, don't bother replying.

Sorry, Admin, for the off-topic stuff, but when someone blindly insults me I am sometimes compelled to respond, although it is generally futile to try to talk to someone with a closed mind.
                            Pau.
                            Last edited by MadAzza; June 11, 2006, 01:54 PM. Reason: figured it out, finally

Comment

I believe racial preferences are wrong. I specifically stated that I think no race or ethnicity is better than another. Yes, that is a sweeping statement. Please explain how it is "bashing" anyone. (I won't hold my breath.)

That chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy.

ETA: I just figured it out. You have an upside-down state flag decal on your car, and you're on welfare/food stamps. OK, don't bother replying.

Sorry, Admin, for the off-topic stuff, but when someone blindly insults me I am sometimes compelled to respond, although it is generally futile to try to talk to someone with a closed mind.
                              Pau.

Kind of like talking to yourself in the mirror huh?

"I was referring to people who fly the Hawaii state flag upside down, then take government benefits. It's hypocritical."

This is the sweeping statement you made that I was referring to. And fwiw, I don't get any kind of support from the State or Federal government. I have a job, make good money, and pay my taxes. I probably have enough money in my bank account to buy your hypocritical ass.

Now before you start playing the victim, take a good look in the mirror! It's people like you that ruin it for other caucasians.

Comment

Kind of like talking to yourself in the mirror huh?

"I was referring to people who fly the Hawaii state flag upside down, then take government benefits. It's hypocritical."

This is the sweeping statement you made that I was referring to. And fwiw, I don't get any kind of support from the State or Federal government. I have a job, make good money, and pay my taxes. I probably have enough money in my bank account to buy your hypocritical ass.

Now before you start playing the victim, take a good look in the mirror! It's people like you that ruin it for other caucasians.
                                <sigh> I'm native American. You can't even dream of buying my ass. And I'm not the one playing the victim. Where on Earth did I play the victim? Are you just babbling now?

Please stop. You're just embarrassing yourself with schoolyard taunts. Yes, I said I was pau with this, but your childish posts somehow compel me to respond. Like a mosquito bite compels me to scratch. I suggest you contact me privately, or stop this nonsense. But it's not very much fun screeching hysterically without an audience, is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X