Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion/Spirituality in Hawai'i

Originally posted by Miulang
    If you ever have a chance to visit Salt Lake City, visit the Mormon Tabernacle (open to gentiles). It's a very awesome sight and the acoustics in there are perfect.
    I second that -- we might've gone to see those other buildings, but the Tabernacle left a big impression on me as a young'un. If I recall correctly the whole thing was built without nails, which is even more impressive considering the size of it.

Their choir is good too (and world-famous).

Comment

I talked to my friends...had to after all dis!!!

What they told me is... they were staying on Campus at BYUH for a confernce on indigineous people... and they did not have a car... the campus was pretty much shut down on a Sunday and they wanted morning fix!.... they couldn't find it and didn't have a car! They asked around the dorms they were staying at and were told that you cant find coffee in Laie because it's a mormon town.

Nuff said!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Nuff said!
        Indeed; thanks for the personal research, Manoa.

Comment

Whateva's....

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Now, Auntie...your hanai son is who he is...love him, lumps and all.
            Like your "location" says: Why Badda You? Don't Let It!

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah? heheheh.

I wuv you Manoa.

Auntie Hanai Mom Lynn

Comment

Yeh - now THAT'S spiritual. (And a cheap attempt to get back on topic here.)

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  I talked to my friends...had to after all dis!!!

What they told me is... they were staying on Campus at BYUH for a confernce on indigineous people... and they did not have a car... the campus was pretty much shut down on a Sunday and they wanted morning fix!.... they couldn't find it and didn't have a car! They asked around the dorms they were staying at and were told that you cant find coffee in Laie because it's a mormon town.

Nuff said!
                  Yeah, but no place else in da whole wide world has those "pake cakes" from Sam Store, either! Does Sam Store still even exist? Can you even get pake cake anymore?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    “Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.” ~ John Kennedy
                    Sure, but the way a lot of people do the "condemning" is intolerant itself, don't you think?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

after talking to scriv personally at the HT Picnic... I know he's serious about his beliefs...I don't always agree with him...but it is nice knowing someone knowledgeable about his beliefs.

I myself don't know a thing about it the only time I went to church was for the mandatory things. I dunno how I got into this whole thread.

However, I am learning a thing or two and that is the best thing about HT is learning and accepting peoples views.

Move along... Poof... sorry to start the whole coffee dispute... I'm the person w/ the least knowledge on this subject.... Hopefully through my ignorance...others have been enlightened.

Manoa
                      Last edited by damontucker; July 27, 2006, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        Sure, but the way a lot of people do the "condemning" is intolerant itself, don't you think?
                        to be clear, my understanding is that you and I are referring to the topic of the LDS church as mentioned by some here, including myself. Aside from the procurement of coffee in Laie-the-ghost-town-on-Sundays tangent, the meat of intolerance that is of concern is based on people's experiences of being slighted as a result of the practices of the people as taught by the church (the sentence is ordered in descending importance; in other words, people being the primary offenders, the church being secondary, albeit the origin of whose practices caused offense).

So the bigger picture being one that is at a curious impass. How to tolerate those deliberate practices that are intolerant to certain groups of people? The marital/sealing situation has caused many, many family rifts; I know, I have seen it. Especially among converts, there is little support for those who want to believe/practice/live their faith, but must do so by making a choice where the institution will not waver, and therefore their loved ones who live outside of that faith/institution will not be able to participate in several precious aspects of their lives.

I have seen secular weddings and then sealing ceremonies afterwards as a way to negotiate a happy medium. And of those marriages it was the LDS side of the family that had a fit because it wasn't being done as a purely holy union; in their eyes it demeaned an otherwise sacred experience to a show&tell party and mocked God (a verbatim quote that I will never forget). These poor couples just couldn't win. And yes, each side of these perspectives are quite meaningful and ultimately noble in what they are trying to achieve. For some it is unity. Others it is holiness. To each these are the meant with the best of intentions.

How does one reconcile this? Should those who suffer, and yes suffer is the appropriate term, because they couldn't wrap their head around why they weren't worthy enough to attend their daughter's wedding, concern themselves to ensure that their suffering doesn't offend the offender? On a larger scale, absolutely, people who pick on the religious are assholes. But sometimes, it isn't hard to understand why.

Let's extend them some grace, empathy and understanding. It is the best way to model tolerance.

</jumps off soapbox>

pax

Comment

My wife and I had an interesting time dealing with this marriage ceremony issue too. We are not LDS so we didn't have that exact issue, but we did have people attending our wedding:

- Atheists
                          - Agnostics
                          - Pagans
                          - Baptists
                          - Presbyterians
                          - ... probably others I'm not remembering ...

And we ourselves had our own expectations for the ceremony. So we took up the offer of her UU minister do it. He made vague comments about the beauty of the universe and nature, and I can't remember what all else.. but everyone sort of heard what they wanted to hear. It was lovely. I'm happy to say it's the best wedding I've ever been to!

Pua'i Mana'o, if you don't mind, I would be interested in hearing more re your "self vs island thinking" comment from earlier. I responded above but it might've gotten lost in all the coffee discussion. ^_^;

Comment

to be clear, my understanding is that you and I are referring to the topic of the LDS church as mentioned by some here, including myself. Aside from the procurement of coffee in Laie-the-ghost-town-on-Sundays tangent, the meat of intolerance that is of concern is based on people's experiences of being slighted as a result of the practices of the people as taught by the church (the sentence is ordered in descending importance; in other words, people being the primary offenders, the church being secondary, albeit the origin of whose practices caused offense).
                            wot da phuque?!

ok. someone kidnapped pua'i and replaced yer with some haole paralegal accountant professor from da mainland.

put out an A.P.B.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              wot da phuque?!

ok. someone kidnapped pua'i and replaced yer with some haole paralegal accountant professor from da mainland.

put out an A.P.B.
                              (((full face glare)))

If I didn't confirm what the issue was, we would still be negotiating the existence of coffee at McDs!

And haven't you ever seen a tita with an IQ before? We are known to be among the more deadlier of the species...

pax

Comment

(((full face glare)))

If I didn't confirm what the issue was, we would still be negotiating the existence of coffee at McDs!

And haven't you ever seen a tita with an IQ before? We are known to be among the more deadlier of the species...
                                Oh! Excuse me den, Tita Pua'i Mana'o. I'm one of da odda Tita's dat no moa High IQ's!

I'm juss me.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X