Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion/Spirituality in Hawai'i

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Oh! Excuse me den, Tita Pua'i Mana'o. I'm one of da odda Tita's dat no moa High IQ's!

I'm juss me.

Auntie Lynn
    Why are you saying this to me? Are you telling me that I told you that?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      Why are you saying this to me? Are you telling me that I told you that?
      I was in the coffee negotiations. I assumed you were referring to that. I apologize, if I misunderstood. It's late. I took my medications. I'm going to bed.

My Bad.

Good night.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        I was in the coffee negotiations. I assumed you were referring to that. I apologize, if I misunderstood. It's late. I took my medications. I'm going to bed.

My Bad.

Good night.

Auntie Lynn

Sweet dreams, Auntie Lynn. You know I am not talking about the existence of titas with high IQs as if we only existed in the Loch Ness swamp. I was merely pointed out such existence to the nui-est kimo of them all.

*eyes flashing*

we are ~everywhere~

pax

Comment

haven't you ever seen a tita with an IQ before?
          everyone get one IQ.
          high.
          med.
          low.
          erryting in between.
          shuah.

Comment

How to tolerate those deliberate practices that are intolerant to certain groups of people?
            Simple - the ways of the Mormon church don't click with your personal belief structure? Don't become one. Your ways don't mesh with what they believe? Not your problem.
            Respect each other, recognize that you won't agree, move on past that. Let each other live, help each other when needed, share where you have common ground, don't kill each other over your beliefs.
            (I love it when I can speak in simplistic platitudes!)
            titas with high IQs
            Finest of them all; lucky that I know so many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
              (I love it when I can speak in simplistic platitudes!)
              so what is the best way to handle your aunt's only child's wedding, if she converted to a faith that bars unbelievers from participating in the ceremony?

pax

Comment

Sweet dreams, Auntie Lynn. You know I am not talking about the existence of titas with high IQs as if we only existed in the Loch Ness swamp. I was merely pointed out such existence to the nui-est kimo of them all.

*eyes flashing*

we are ~everywhere~

Tita Pua'i Mana'o, Mahalo. I slept well last night...for the first time in many nights.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

so what is the best way to handle your aunt's only child's wedding, if she converted to a faith that bars unbelievers from participating in the ceremony?
                  If informed in advance that I will not be permitted to participate in the ceremony, problem solved. I should not go to a ceremony where they won't let me in. If they (the wedding couple) wish to accomodate the unbelievers in some fashion (a separate ceremony, a reception, a rave, whatever), then I can go to that. If they choose not to accomodate the unbelievers, it's outta my hands - it's their wedding, it's their faith, it's their choice, not mine. Then I send them a gift, with my best wishes (assuming that is permitted.)

Comment

Is the bride of legal age where she is responsible for her own actions? If she chooses to convert to a belief that excludes nonbelievers in certain ceremonies, then that's the bride's problem, not any of her relatives' problem. And as long as the bride's family isn't subsidizing the wedding, I really don't think they have much of a say in what the bride does. If they're helping to pay for the wedding and cannot participate in it, then I would say give the couple your blessing and shut up, let them have their closed wedding ceremony and offer to throw a reception for the gentiles in the family and friends later on.

Why make a big deal over attendance at a wedding anyway? You could still celebrate and honor the couple at a reception after the wedding. Is being excluded from a wedding and feeling huhu about it for years afterward really worth the pain of alienation? I thought a wedding was a celebration to honor the bride and groom, not a contest between families!

I used to work with a Vietnamese woman. She got married to a Jewish doctor. To placate both sides of the family, they had a Vietnamese Buddhist ceremony and a Jewish ceremony! That way both sides of the family could feel comfortable with the union. I think that's pretty cool because it acknowledges that there are differences, but allows everybody to celebrate in the way they feel most comfortable.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Are there other religions, besides Judaism and LDS, that use the term "gentiles" to describe non-members (or more specifically, those not descended from the traditional lines)?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        If she chooses to convert to a belief that excludes nonbelievers in certain ceremonies,
                        I really don't think Mormons exclude "nonbelievers in certain ceremonies".
                        if that ceremony is a marriage.
                        Mormons do hold things like baptism for the dead. and other private things. and why da hell would an outsider or unbeliever want to infiltrate these?
                        Last edited by kimo55; July 28, 2006, 10:17 AM.

Comment

mahalo for these opportunities to study the paradoxical commandments (you know the ones: if you get kicked in the teeth, smile anyway )

pax

Comment

if you get kicked in the teeth, smile anyway )
                            wierd!
                            "touch the heart"
                            toooo weeeerd!

Comment

mahalo for these opportunities to study the paradoxical commandments (you know the ones: if you get kicked in the teeth, smile anyway )
                              Interesting paraphrasing; the originals to which you linked seem Buddhist, in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                                Are there other religions, besides Judaism and LDS, that use the term "gentiles" to describe non-members (or more specifically, those not descended from the traditional lines)?
                                Hare Krishnas use the word "Karmi" (plural; karmis) to denote people who do not conform to their beliefs. HK's believe they are devoid of karma and karmic activities, living a strictly spiritual life, so those outside are seen as running the proverbial hamster wheel of karma, thus the term 'karmis' for outsiders. The Karmis are treated well if they display interest in the theology, though.

Even those HK's who are from different gurus and missions (church/ organization/denomination)from others are given a similar, if not more severe "outsider treatment".
                                Last edited by Vanguard; July 28, 2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X