X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Originally posted by blueyecicle
    Yeah, here it's just another curtain!
    If it's in the right window, you could lift it up every day with a shout of "the South will rise again!"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      If it's in the right window, you could lift it up every day with a shout of "the South will rise again!"
      Good point! LOL j/k

It's generally in the same house or beside on with rainbow flag curtains, US flag curtains and let;s not forget Tye Dye curtains! Man I am tired of seeing flag curtians in this town!
      Oh and let's not forget the HUGE wooden painted peace sign on the window outside the curtain! Oh and the dove....we are fond of freakin doves!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Can you imagine if someone had a sticker proclaiming "Haole Power" or "Haole Pride" on a vehicle in the Islands? That car wouldn't be in drivable shape for long.
        One of my hapa cousins about 10 years ago used to ride around his neighborhood with a "Homegrown Haole" decal on his car.

He lived in Nanakuli. Never had a problem. Then again, he also had Hawaiian and Samoan blood... but definitely pulled more of the haole side.

It's not the use of the word haole... it's the words you use in conjunction with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
          Point.

Sorry, didn't mean to get worked up about that. I just meant to say that you don't have to be a minority to feel the burn. That racism exists is a burden to everyone who doesn't want it, white people not being exempt as a whole.

If people thought more about their ancestry (and that of others), they might realize that racism is us vs us vs us vs... not us vs them.
          Excellent points all and in all. I really like the last one tho'. Who we are versus who we think we are (or are supposed to be for that matter). Another wrench in the works is when we find out who we are is based on what other people think we should be (or it's evil twin, the one that exists only to be a mirror of what we want to be the most). A big conundrum, an even bigger conundrum when the hate goes away and the veil comes off. Naked. Maybe, for the first time.
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Bloody Brits. Screwed the world up for everyone.
            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
            "But I can't even read good."
            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

The ones who desire that kind of reminder, those who would most support "White Power" symbols, are often those who preferred the days when "whitey" was dominant everywhere, and are uncomfortable (to say the least) with seeing other racial groups as equals. In many cases, they may have had experiences that led them to feel inferior - and the easiest way to feel superior is to try to make someone else out to be the inferior party. Rather than work to build yourself up, just push someone else down below your point on the scale.

Having said that, I need to be very clear: I am in no way suggesting that nachodaddy fits this profile; I do not believe that is relevant to the point he is trying to make, and I hope everyone understands that.

Isn't nachodaddy Asian? I'm pretty sure he commented on that in one of his posts on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
                Isn't nachodaddy Asian? I'm pretty sure he commented on that in one of his posts on another thread.
                Why, yes, yes I am. Did I do something or say something to the contrary?

Comment

Actually I am Oriental, does that change anything?

Comment

It sucks to have an affiliation just based on skin color with peoples of the past percieved as screwing up the world, but how did this happen? How is it that most people think of the white man as the powerful majority when there are probably more people in the country of China than the whole of Western Europe? It's interesting to me that the white cutures, despite being at a numbers disadvantage, managed to screw the world up so bad. Is it better weaponry? A more ruthless and cut-throat approach developed from living in a harsh european environment? Is it that the europeans got tired of killing each other by and large and so plotted against the rest of earths inhabitants? (Yes that last one was a joke...) It's very interesting to me how so few came to dominate the world way back and even though lands have been returned to indigenous peoples they are still viewed as the oppressor. Aren't they trying to advance like evryone else? Just some questions, I don't know what my viewpoint on the issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                      Actually I am Oriental, does that change anything?
                      Nope, but in one of Leo's post he said something to the effect of him being sure your not a white supremist or at least he hoped so. I was just clarifying for him that your not white and therefore it would be even more illogical for you to be a white supremist.

Actually after rereading his post he doesn't make a reference to white supremests but I infered that's kinda where he was going. Sorry college has taken its toll on my mental acuity this past week. Once again sorry for the misinterpretation. Disregard spelling.
                      Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; September 21, 2006, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Please disregard spelling.

Comment

Why is it that Potagees are distinct from other haole groups in Hawai`i? Is it because many of the supervisors of plantation crews (would it be correct to say luna in this context?) were Portuguese?
                          Yes, you are correct. And you have probably raised one of the most interesting points on this board (except Maddie, who seems to think dismissing it is funny), since I’m sure the lot of us are now forced to go back to our history books and figure this one out.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Nope, but in one of Leo's post he said something to the effect of him being sure your not a white supremist or at least he hoped so. I was just clarifying for him that your not white and therefore it would be even more illogical for you to be a white supremist.

Actually after rereading his post he doesn't make a reference to white supremests but I infered that's kinda where he was going. Sorry college has taken its toll on my mental acuity this past week. Once again sorry for the misinterpretation. Disregard spelling.
                            I would make a very poor white supremacist. Even with the sheet pulled way down low.

Go kill something on your X Box, it will make you feel better.

Comment

WTF? I didn't say you were a white supremist. I said I thought Leo Lakio called you a white supremist and therefore I felt obliged to tell him that you're Asian. That's all. That's it.

Comment

WTF? I didn't say you were a white supremist. I said I thought Leo Lakio called you a white supremist and therefore I felt obliged to tell him that you're Asian. That's all. That's it.
                                .........and I did not say you did. I am cool with ya.

Here: for emphasis.

On second thought, go smoke a bowl and try to DDR, that is always fun.

just in case.

Comment

Working...
                                X