Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idaho DJ insults Hawai`i

For clarity's sake...

a) I did not make any complaint as to the "insensitivity" of the DJ's comment. Rather I recognized it as an attempt at humor. I responded with something about as equally low on the humor scale, to show how easy it is to make stereotypical jokes.

b) Just because I was curious to see how people would react, I intentionally left off an important fact from my earlier posting - I "wrote" that joke in conjunction with a co-worker who was born and raised in rural Idaho. Caldwell, to be specific.

Just as he enjoys sheep-boinking as a topic for humor, and I can make jokes about the "dumb farmers of Iowa," residents of Hawai`i are, I suspect, able to recognize the easy laugh that comes when you invoke hula hoops and `ukulele.

There are probably more important things to be offended by, but that's a judgment call you have to make as individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      You specifically mentioned it being a Republican area, not an area devoid of Hawaiians.

Your comments gave the impression that Republicans and Spokane-ites are stupid, drooling racists. Please explain.

If Ruby Ridge isn't the epitomy of stupid, drooling racists, what is?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
        Well, "Ruby Ridge" takes us back to rural Idaho, and not the "inland empire" that is Spokane, WA. And just to show that racists can come from anywhere, the Weavers were originally from my home state: Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
          Judging an entire geographic region by the actions of five people is the height of absurdity.

This is just unbelievable.

Comment

And there's a huge band of white supremists/neo-nazis right here in the sea-blue Portland-area. Our local conservative pundatron Lars Larson is always coming up with wisecracks about the area like "People's Republik of Multnomah" and people here just turn 'em back around and laugh, and get on with their day at his expense. Can't let people like that bother you even if they intended it to be offensive, and who knows, maybe the hula hoop comment was his bad attempt at trying to be ironically sarchastic. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              This whole thing is giving me a haddock. Time for me to go eat some fresh local strawberries and blueberries over sour cream pound cake with lots of whipped cream on top...enough already. I want dessert.
              I just poured a nice Edna Valley chardonnay to accompany a warm summer evening. I took today off and I've been goofing off all day on HT, reading a novel (James Wharton Jr.) and otherwise doing nothing valuable in the way of contributions to society or my home. And I'm fine with that!

Enjoy your ice cream-pound cake dessert, Miulang! That sounds really good. And thanks for the back-and-forth.

Aloha,
              MadAzza

Comment

Posted by Miulang:
                only that they were the kinds of things I hear from folks I know from that part of the world.
                who you been hanging with? I'm from that part of the world and I don't have any feelings as you have expressed.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  Posted by Miulang:

who you been hanging with? I'm from that part of the world and I don't have any feelings as you have expressed.
                  You from Bellingham, not from Eastern Wa, yeah? Big difference between being on the makai side of the Cascades and the mauka side.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Soooo...anyway...let's just say that DJ was about as ignorant as most jocks who want some exposure on their show by acting stupid. Bottom line though was that he got it and we bought it.

I'm sure a lot of his listeners decided that, "Yep this idiot just ain't ready for prime time yet"

Moving along....
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You from Bellingham, not from Eastern Wa, yeah? Big difference between being on the makai side of the Cascades and the mauka side
                      Gee, Miulang... I guess East Wenatchee doesn't count then? Was there for about a year... unfortunately (and for that matter also spent a year in Tumwater down south of Bellingham)

Comment

I received a very nice email from Gary Cummings, the station's general manager. It would be inappropriate for me to cut and paste it here but he did say that the 'joke' in question came from a 'prep service' and his DJ didn't use it. So, he doesn't know where the listener heard it.

I learned something interesting...a goal of mine each day! Radio stations use national show-prep services. Can you tell I'm not a radio person?! Gary also mentioned that he checked the S-B link and felt the letter had been printed without checking it's 'veracity'. Now it's time for me to learn something today! Does checking 'veracity' hold true for letters to the editor?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          Gary also mentioned that he checked the S-B link and felt the letter had been printed without checking it's 'veracity'. Now it's time for me to learn something today! Does checking 'veracity' hold true for letters to the editor?
                          Generally, yes, but there is no way to check whether or not someone heard a comment on the radio, unless the show is taped. I had a long conversation with the guy; he heard what he heard, and he says he wasn't the only one who heard it. If the station manager contacts me at the paper, I'd be happy to talk with him about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                            Generally, yes, but there is no way to check whether or not someone heard a comment on the radio, unless the show is taped. I had a long conversation with the guy; he heard what he heard, and he says he wasn't the only one who heard it. If the station manager contacts me at the paper, I'd be happy to talk with him about it.
                            I believe Gary is checking HT. Hopefully he'll contact you. Of course, this situation is such a small blip on life's radar!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                              I believe Gary is checking HT. Hopefully he'll contact you. Of course, this situation is such a small blip on life's radar!
                              Could he be our Newest Member, "Youareallstupidashell?"

ROFLMAO

Auntie Lyn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                                Could he be our Newest Member, "Youareallstupidashell?"

ROFLMAO

Auntie Lyn
                                that would certainly be funny!

Comment

Working...
                                X