Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idaho DJ insults Hawai`i

Originally posted by Menehune Man
    First off. All morning disc jockey's make fun of people... anybody.

Where the heck has your humor gone?

And then to start making up funny stuff about Idahoans.

How does that rate?

I giggled, but...

hey you are all complaining about what you figure as insensitivity.

Sheesh!
    'MenehuneMan' is right folks! Let's get a grip here on the situation. Like MM said, morning DJ's like to make fun of people....and Hawaii's DJ's are no different either. Since when do we have to get our collective Grass skirts in a knot over this terrible attempt at a racial joke aimed at people of Hawaii.
    We know how to dish it out, but can't take it

I mean the last laugh is on the DJ from Moscow Idaho, right folks? He's the one who has to raise every morning to the thought of, "Lucky you live Moscow Idaho"....

Comment

Tutu: Am glad to hear that you did get a response from Mr. Cummings...I called him, I thought that was better than email....I don't think he expected to get any feedback on this issue, but I hope this 'introduces' him to our part of the universe.....FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy
        'Menehune Man' is right folks! Let's get a grip here on the situation.
        Thanks Beachboy. Glad you concur.
        I take things in life by intent. Was it malicious? Silly? Stupid?
        Then decide if it's something to truly stand up for or just let slide.

No need for make more pilikia, if no need.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

i don't have a problem with that comment. it was weak. there could a lot more serious things they could have said. even insulting.

it doesn't help that hawaii-related movies and media always seem to have hula. sometimes we stereotype our own image to the world.

off on a tangent, imagine how many indignant threads an alabama-based forum has regarding to insults to the home state. a lot of people pick on them.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
            it doesn't help that hawaii-related movies and media always seem to have hula.
            Often, it's BAD hula as well. Yes, I am biased.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Amazing letter in today's Star-Bulletin at this link, part of which states:

"On Friday, July 7, the disc jockey on KCLX in Moscow, Idaho, mentioned that on this date in 1887, the United States was looking to secure a "possession" in the Pacific and so forced the kingdom of Hawaii to surrender. (Editor's note: The date refers to the signing of the Bayonet Constitution.) He said it was obviously easy to force a nation such as this, since it was hard to defend itself armed with nothing more than hula hoops and ukuleles.
              "How tasteless! I believe a public apology is necessary to all Hawaiian people everywhere."

Full letter at the link above.
              Its a joke people...nither hula hoops or ukuleles exsisted then. hyper sensitivity off

Comment

There's a difference between a good clean joke and a biting comment that sends the wrong message to those who really don't know the history of the overthrow and the feelings of those who really lost out felt.

Making a joke out of someone elses loss is no joke at all especially of this magnitude and that person delivering that joke truly was tasteless and an ignorant person for even trying to capitalize on his popularity by using someone else's grief.

Let's say you lost your house that was in the family since the birth of Christ, because some unforgiving lender took it away because you couldn't make your mortgage payments. Let's say you lost your home because you couldn't afford a high enough paying job to keep those payments up. Let's say you sold hula hoops to earn money.

Okay here's the joke: Mr. John Smith lost his ancesterial home because he tried to pay Ditech his mortgage with hula hoops instead of real cash. What a dork! Yeah some joke right? You just lost your home, and with it your life and your history. You walk the streets and all your friends start asking you, "don't ask to borrow money from me because we don't accept hula hoops as payment. Meanwhile you live your life with that feeling of loss and some jerk disk jockey is having fun by teasing you.

In my book that's called bullying and Hawaiians don't like that. As a matter of fact I dare you to tell that same "Joke" to one Kanaka Maoli and let's just see how fast you can run away before braddah here beats you into the ground that was taken away from him.

Laugh now pay later. That joke was wrong, it was mean, and this disk jockey will pay for that remark on judgement day.

That was no joke.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by diegorob
                  Its a joke people...nither hula hoops or ukuleles exsisted then.
                  Oh, gee --- NOW I get it! Thanks for the explanation, Rob.

Comment

i've played a number of gigs in moscow, ID and am not the least bit surprised that some yokel deejay made a weak-ass hula hoop and ukulele joke...the chief export from moscow is disenchanted micro-college students clad in flannel and an omnipresent stench of chicken fingers, coors light and vomit...

it is a pretty town, though...
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X