X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Racist Are You?

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    Aaron, I'm sorry that happened to you.

However, I still stand by my opinion that it depends on how it is used.

I could be with Agnes Medeiros one day talking story, and in stereotypical fashion she just cannot shut up and I blurt out, "Ho...you soooooo podagee!" Am I looking down on Portuguese locals by saying that? Absolutely not. Going off on that tangent...what about Frank DeLima jokes then?
    So, by saying that, Is it similar to when hip-hop artists used "Nigga" instead of "Nigger" in thier recordings? They claim that it's just the way they talk, but should it be acceptable?
    Last edited by alohabear; October 26, 2006, 05:48 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
      So, by saying that, Is it similar to when hip-hop artists used "Nigga" instead of "Nigger" in thier recordings? They claim that it's just the way they talk, but should it be acceptable?
      The use of The N Word by rap entertainers (I continue to support a dichotimization between rap and hip-hop) is a social construction, built out of molding by record companies, consumer demand for such entertainment, and minstrelsy by said entertainers. A lot of the fads that are started by rappers (e.g. grillz, pimping, glamorization of materialism, and the use of the N word, etc.) are actually marketing ploys by their record companies. Part of the blame for the glamorization of The N Word falls on parents who fail to discuss the history of the word with adolescents, who are susceptible to any fad they observe on TV--especially MTV. IMHO, MTV has been subtly saying, "It's greater to be Black than any other ethnicity right now!" Thus, a whole generation of youth are trying to fit into their own definition of "Black," which unfortunately, is warped by the media. [Check out this Todd Williams documentary--probably covers this topic the best, in terms of information per hour: http://www.amazon.com/Word-Divided-W...dp/B000BF0DBK]

Hip-hop artists, on the other hand, tend to be more independent from record companies and waaaaaaay more conscious about representation of social issues in their music.

The entire issue of racism is not cut and dry, and I'm sure that everyone proactively participating in this discussion will drop some knowledge, or even pick up some. To the original poster, I just wanna say thank you for starting this discussion. One reason why racism survives in our society is that we have a fear of talking about it--why is it taboo like discussing sex?
      Last edited by Mike_Lowery; October 26, 2006, 07:15 AM.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
        Honestly? I have no problem with it. Would I use that word? Never. That's why I don't understand why J-Lo felt the need to in one of her songs.

On the other hand, it's not up for me to decide whether or not it's acceptable. If rap artists want to use it and it doesn't offend their target audience, let 'em.

If you're going to start a thread about how "racist" we think we are, remember that local relations are nothing like that of our mainland counterparts. Trying to equate local terms like "ho, you podagee!" with the N-word is a weak argument, IMO.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I've had a few Hawaiian friends say they were called "stupid mexican" while visiting places in Cali

Comment

I'm a Filipino mainlander that has been called a "Pineapple" Does that count?

Honestly, I believe everyone is prejudiced and has the ability to be racist. Often times than not, it's easier to hate than to love in today's society. I shrug off the racist comments as much as I can. It's difficult at times. I try to make a game of it. One of those 'that's all you can come up with... I've heard better' games. Once in HS, I was asked If I was black to which I responded no and then in the next breath asked If I was white. To which I responded no and then asked if I was Both. At that point I just laughed and said I was Filipino.

The worst case of racism I've ever encountered was when i was little and involved a theme park employee. I gave her the money and put my hand out for the change. She looked at me, my hand, then put the change on the counter and slid it to me.
            -kp!

Comment

I was raised in an extremely racist household. My father was very racist but another note is he was also sexist. So I was right in there with other races according to him.

Women/mexicans/ or anyone of color...all the same. Period! Less them him. I now think he had more of a god complex than anything.

So I do not tolerate racism in my house. And I know sexism and racism is not the same so don't holler at me but it feels the same when you grow up hearing it. It sucks. Everyone is the same. To me period.

Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Thank goodness many of us couldn't be tempted to be racist since we can't even figure out how many races we are. I'm a proud 1/8 Cherokee, but all those other parts matter just as much.

Doesn't racist mean that we operate with race in the back, if not forefront of our minds? LOL okay, I'll check dictionary.com, *(grin)but nah, no racism in our family.
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

One of my high school teachers (back in the late 70's) was very racist. He's Japanese and one day I went up to him and told him he was racist. He told me that one could only be labelled a racist if he or she discriminates against any race but their own.

And before I could point out his misgivings, he indicated he even hates Japanese (his own race).

Racist? or simply a pissed off individual? I still considered him racist but in his eyes he begged to differ. And there in lies the problem. Racism will never be abolished in our society until we remove any level of subjectivism in the way we judge others.

Racism is just another form of what appeals to a person and what doesn't. Whether it's black vs white, Ford vs Chevy, Republican vs Democrat, Christian vs Muslim, whatever, we will always favor one over another and when it comes to humanity, it's called racism.

To one person it's ignorance, to another it's an insult. And then there's those that really make it outspoken. And they are the ones that in my book are the true racists.

Now my point of view: When a white person makes a racist joke he's considered a racist. When a black person makes a racist joke he's considered a comedian. Go figure that one.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, it seems that your teacher was indeed a RACIST ....... he hated the entire HUMAN RACE. Hating members of his own ethnicity didn't give him a "pass" from being labeled a "racist."

My extended family is one big UN - we have just about everything. Japanese, Chinese, Polynesian, Filipino, Hispanic, American Indian, all kinds of haoles, etc. One of my nieces has three half-popolo kids who are the "apples" of their bachan's eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                      If you believe racism is a thing of the past you're a racist.
                      I disagree completely. It just means you’re a little ignorant and extremely optimistic.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                        Craig, it seems that your teacher was indeed a RACIST ....... he hated the entire HUMAN RACE. Hating members of his own ethnicity didn't give him a "pass" from being labeled a "racist."
                        People like that are called misanthropists, not racist.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
                          I've had a few Hawaiian friends say they were called "stupid mexican" while visiting places in Cali
                          On "Mind of Mencia," Carlos has a funny bit where he visits Hawaii and gets off the plane and is scared because he thinks he's been deported - no one told him "Hawaiians look like beaners."

Anyway, that's pretty much why I won't live in California again - I received a lot of problems while growing up because I had brown skin (I'm half Japanese, half Assyrian) from strangers and especially from teachers.

Hawaii is the first state I've lived in where I felt like I "fit in"...or maybe "blended in" is a better way to say it. I've never had a need to fit in, but it feels good not to stick out.

I'm a bit stereotypical toward people that tick me off. Not outloud, but in my head. But I wouldn't say I'm racist.

Comment

I can get along with just about anybody. I can say that I'm not a racist, and feel confident that I'm being honest. I do, however, have a problem with a**holes. I hate a**holes of all colors. I'm definitely an a**hole-ist. Just don't be an a**hole, and we'll get along fine.

I am haole, I grew up here in Hawai'i and am no stranger to the "f***in' haole" mentality. I find it more sad than offensive. I've found that I know much more about the Hawaiian culture than many of the people that have hurled that epithet my way. Whatever. Life's too short to trifle with racism.
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                              I can get along with just about anybody. I can say that I'm not a racist, and feel confident that I'm being honest. I do, however, have a problem with a**holes. I hate a**holes of all colors. I'm definitely an a**hole-ist. Just don't be an a**hole, and we'll get along fine.

I am haole, I grew up here in Hawai'i and am no stranger to the "f***in' haole" mentality. I find it more sad than offensive. I've found that I know much more about the Hawaiian culture than many of the people that have hurled that epithet my way. Whatever. Life's too short to trifle with racism.
                              yeah but you'll take their pay checks! harharharhahraharharhar
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                yeah but you'll take their pay checks! harharharhahraharharhar
                                Jinkies! I've been zinged! (zung? zanged?) Good one, lg. But now it's ON.
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X