X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asian Posers: You guys are 100% American

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    I mean, are the Cajuns still Frenchmen? I don't think either group would agree.
    The French who reside in France, generally speaking, do not consider the Francophones of Quebec, the Acadians of Maine and Nova Scotia, or the Cajuns of Louisiana to be "French." The people of all the afore-mentioned groups do recognize themselves as being "of French ancestry," however, as do their brethren of the French diaspora.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      I'm a pastele, lumpia and I dunno any food dat the cherokees make...but I got a little of dat too!
      You forgot Lemurian food.

And now, I'm ... hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
        You know, the kinda funny thing is that these are very similar cases. Hawaiians did not evolve (or were placed by God, whatever one believes) in the Hawaiian islands, they migrated there. A long time ago, I'll grant you, but was a new ethnicity created just because Tongans (or Menehunes, or what have you ) moved to a new area?
        Over time, yes. Similarly, the ancestors of the Japanese migrated there from Korea.

Of course, if one goes back far enough, all humans can be linked to Africa.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
          Over time, yes. Similarly, the ancestors of the Japanese migrated there from Korea.
          Shhhhh. They don't talk about that in polite company in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
            Shhhhh. They don't talk about that in polite company in Japan.
            WHAT I'M KOREAN!!! Hmmm I hope South Korean
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              You forgot Lemurian food.

And now, I'm ... hungry.
              Oh! Yeah!!! I forgot! My Lemurian heritage gave me my Beautiful Legs!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Made ya SMILE!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                You know, the kinda funny thing is that these are very similar cases. Hawaiians did not evolve (or were placed by God, whatever one believes) in the Hawaiian islands, they migrated there. A long time ago, I'll grant you, but was a new ethnicity created just because Tongans (or Menehunes, or what have you ) moved to a new area?
                You know what I meant Dingy!...the point was 'american' is not an ethnicity, its not an option on your social app. or census survey, its a nationality(what nation are you from?)

anyway, try calling one samoan, tongan or vice versa~one slap would make you see clearly!
                sigpic

Comment

Admin. May we have a POLL?

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW View Post
                    You know what I meant Dingy!...the point was 'american' is not an ethnicity, its not an option on your social app. or census survey, its a nationality(what nation are you from?)
                    I didn't actually... I didn't see how you can say "Hawaiian" is an ethnicity and "American" is not, but I think someone else answered my question.

Didn't mean to irritate, sorry... peace! I probably shoulda known better than to throw myself into the middle of this anyway

I think I fall into the "mystery meat" sandwich category myself.

Comment

Bard, the difference between race and ethnicity is that race includes physical/genetic features (the science being that breeding over time develops distinctions). Ethnicity binds a cultural/linguistic group.

When Pa'ao came to Hawaii about 1K year ago, we knew he was Samoan. He didn't "kick out" anyone who lived here prior to his arrival; he bred in. Same thing with Hawai'iloa from the Marquesas. Our Hawaiian Kupe did this when he went to Aotearoa and became of the Maori ancestry. The Polynesians sailed in between our isles and populate; our cosmological narrrative says that we descend from the same Gods (Ku, Kane, Kanaloa, Lono, Haumea, Papa, Maui, etc, are all represented in each Polynesian pantheon) and our languages are about 60-70% similar, and our physical characteristics are also similar enough that a Polynesian race is distinguishable.

As for the "German race": German is an ethnic group of the Nordic race.

As for American ethnicity: I do believe that this is happening; linguistic and cultural mores create ethnicity.

pax

Comment

Thanks for the clarification! Interesting. Can you tell I coasted through anthropology as quickly as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          Bard, the difference between race and ethnicity is that race includes physical/genetic features (the science being that breeding over time develops distinctions). Ethnicity binds a cultural/linguistic group.

When Pa'ao came to Hawaii about 1K year ago, we knew he was Samoan. He didn't "kick out" anyone who lived here prior to his arrival; he bred in. Same thing with Hawai'iloa from the Marquesas. Our Hawaiian Kupe did this when he went to Aotearoa and became of the Maori ancestry. The Polynesians sailed in between our isles and populate; our cosmological narrrative says that we descend from the same Gods (Ku, Kane, Kanaloa, Lono, Haumea, Papa, Maui, etc, are all represented in each Polynesian pantheon) and our languages are about 60-70% similar, and our physical characteristics are also similar enough that a Polynesian race is distinguishable.

As for the "German race": German is an ethnic group of the Nordic race.

As for American ethnicity: I do believe that this is happening; linguistic and cultural mores create ethnicity.

Okay all that said am I American then or just one confused Korean that thinks he's Japanese that has never been to either place but born in Hawaii but cannot be called Hawaiian but own one acre of Hawaiian land bought from a Korean owner who probably bought it from some Haole guy back in the plantation days that owned it by some illegal overthrow?

Wow this is getting too thick for me.

Comment

don't forget your lovely Lemurian lumps...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Okay all that said am I American then or just one confused Korean that thinks he's Japanese that has never been to either place but born in Hawaii but cannot be called Hawaiian but own one acre of Hawaiian land bought from a Korean owner who probably bought it from some Haole guy back in the plantation days that owned it by some illegal overthrow?
                              Sounds like we have the makings of a sequel to "Mr. Sun Cho Lee."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Sounds like we have the makings of a sequel to "Mr. Sun Cho Lee."

Yeah I could handle some frozen lychee right about now...it's getting warm

Comment

Working...
                                X