Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Kill Haole Day"

Disregard this post.
    Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; January 1, 2007, 01:21 PM.
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
      I've also been told that Hawaiian public schools in general are not very good. I am not too concerned with that as long as the kids are safe.
      I know you said you are researching Hawai'i's school systems but don't you think quality should be a MAJOR consideration? I mean if they're safe but aren't being stimulated what is the point? Enjoy paradise?
      "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
      "But I can't even read good."
      "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
      "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

I asked my 14 year old son and he looked at me dumbfounded. He went to Lincoln Ele. and Washington Middle. I am pure chinese.

In my day (70's) it was:

Kill Haole Day: Last day of school

65-71 At Lincoln Elementry it was called that but basically beat up anyone you don't like, but the trouble makers were from Stevenson or Roosevelt. Luckily the Papakolea Elementry boys protected us from the upperclass punks.

74-78 At Kalani HS it wasn't about the Haoles. It was the nerds or whoever wasn't liked. I got caught 2 times. Soph and Junior year. Junior year was the worst, some seniors from the AV room were sent to the hospital. The guys were the smokers who ruled B bathroom and mugged everyone. Funny during high school they use to go to Waikiki and beat up tourist all the time. and when we saw them 10 years later they were all working in the tourist industry as bus drivers or guides.

Kill Jap Day: Dec 7th

65-71 Lincoln Elementry: basically it was again pick on Asians day by the Stevenson Punks. I can't believe 13 year olds would beat up on 8-10 year olds! Luckily the Papakolea guys stepped in again. My great grandmother owned Wing Coffee in Chinatown and I would bring crackseed or Li Hing Mui to school everyweek. I would give it to the PK boys and they protected us from the other schools.

71-74 Niu Valley Inter.: most of the school was asians, so nothing happend.

74-78 Kalani HS: some guys got mugged after school in soph year.

Basically it was more fear than anything else when you hear the rumors.

In my day Washington was a rough school. I am surprised to find now it is a zero tolerence school.

Comment

As any good educator will tell you, kids are not supposed to have fun. Teachers get too much bad rap for not stimulating the kids enough. Academic quality is an important concern but not of the bold type, capital letter kind. I expect a safe environment for all children and reasonably well-meaning, competent teachers. I suspected this was a boy thing and a rare occurrence but I am glad to read it is a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post

In my day (70's) it was:

Kill Haole Day: Last day of school

65-71 At Lincoln Elementry it was called that but basically beat up anyone you don't like, but the trouble makers were from Stevenson or Roosevelt. Luckily the Papakolea Elementry boys protected us from the upperclass punks.

Kill Jap Day: Dec 7th

65-71 Lincoln Elementry: basically it was again pick on Asians day by the Stevenson Punks. I can't believe 13 year olds would beat up on 8-10 year olds! Luckily the Papakolea guys stepped in again. My great grandmother owned Wing Coffee in Chinatown and I would bring crackseed or Li Hing Mui to school everyweek. I would give it to the PK boys and they protected us from the other schools.

Basically it was more fear than anything else when you hear the rumors.
            I, like you lived during the heyday of it, though from different ethnic circumstances. I'm haole and got no help from the Papakolea boys since it was them that were the perpetrators. I went to Lincoln (same basic years) and it was real. Not just rumors, so why'd you type that?
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Honolulu is hardly New York. Any area of Honolulu more prone to crime/incidents? I would imagine any place with too many bars. Went through a few travel guides at Borders. Several mentioned or at least hinted at racial tensions and haole not being too appreciated sometimes. One went into a rather detailed description of who doesn't like whom so I learned that native Hawaiians and Samoans are not always the best of buddies. I've had plenty of opportunity to read about race issues on this board and posters complaining of discrimination were predominantly white. Racial mix within neighborhoods is not a concern. Safety and being able to get to work while using public transportation is. Crime statistics for Honolulu do not look bad except for higher than average chance of theft. It looks like most of the local confrontation is hot air/shouting matches?

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              I think the question was what part of the island. Where you move to does make a difference. While Hawaii in general is quite a mix, you'll see different mixes in different neighborhood along with different attitudes towards haoles. But that's no different then any other place on the mainland. If I was planning to move to NY, you'd want to know if I was thinking of Manhattan or Harlem. It's possible you haven't decided yet, but it is something to keep in mind.

Comment

"one major benefit of growing up "haole" (Hawaiian for round eye)," - JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY THIS ONE.....'haole' broken down means: 'ha' - breath, ole - to be without.....SO, LITERALLY - 'haole' means to be without breath....a good resource/dictionary can be found here :

http://wehewehe.org/

Just sharing.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
                  "one major benefit of growing up "haole" (Hawaiian for round eye)," - JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY THIS ONE.....'haole' broken down means: 'ha' - breath, ole - to be without.....SO, LITERALLY - 'haole' means to be without breath....a good resource/dictionary can be found here :

http://wehewehe.org/

Just sharing.......
                  Mahalo for sharing that mana'o of "h?'ole", because while it has become widespread, it isn't based in fact.

This is what wehewehe.org says about "http://wehewehe.org/gsdl2.5/cgi-bin/hdict?a=q&r=1&hs=1&e=q-0hdict--00-0-0--010---4----den--0-000lpm--1haw-Zz-1---Zz-1-home---00031-0000escapewin-00&q=haole&j=pm&hdid=0&hdds=0"

haole
                  nvs. White person, American, Englishman, Caucasian; American, English; formerly, any foreigner; foreign, introduced, of foreign origin, as plants, pigs, chickens; entirely white, of pigs (Malo 37; perhaps Malo actually means of foreign introduction). See kolea 1. References in traditional literature are few, but these have been noted: He haole nui maka ??lohilohi (FS 201), a big foreigner with bright eyes [referring to Kama-pua?a, the pig demigod]. H?nau ke po?o haole, he haole k?l? (KL. line 505), born was the stranger's head, that was strange. Ho?okahi o Tahiti k?naka, he haole (Kua-li?i chant, For. 4:375) only one people in Tahiti, foreigners. ??ina haole, foreign land. ??lelo haole, European language, especially English. ho?o.haole To act like a white person, to ape the white people, or assume airs of superiority [often said disparagingly, especially of half-whites]. Ho?ohaole ?ia, Americanized, Europeanized; to have become like a white person or have adopted the ways of a white man. (Marquesan hao?e is probably a loan from Hawaiian.)

Because of the uniformity in modern orthography, if h?'ole was what we are saying when we talk about the haole, then we would be saying h?'ole and writing h?'ole.
                  Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; January 2, 2007, 09:41 AM. Reason: that "?" is a kahako over the "a", for ha, meaning breath.

pax

Comment

I think the question was what part of the island. Where you move to does make a difference. While Hawaii in general is quite a mix, you'll see different mixes in different neighborhood along with different attitudes towards haoles. But that's no different then any other place on the mainland. If I was planning to move to NY, you'd want to know if I was thinking of Manhattan or Harlem. It's possible you haven't decided yet, but it is something to keep in mind.
                    Ummm....side note: Harlem is a neighborhood in upper Manhattan. Manhattan is a whole borough.

Even Harlem is further divided into smaller neighborhoods.

It's not simple, no matter where you go. And it does make a difference.

Comment

I'm a product of the 70's. At that time "Kill Haole Day" at it's worst was throwing eggs or water balloons and rarely picking a fight with those who were not liked. Never heard of "slap a jap" until now. It wasn't that bad, but it paid to be vigilant as it was a day for various pranks.
                      I'm also a product of the 70s and 80s, and believe me "Kill Haole Day" was very real at schools on the Windward side like King Intermediate and Castle High. "Kill Jap Day" too, but to a lesser extent. I knew of kids who stayed home because they didn't want to get beaten up. My friend said the same thing about Highlands Intermediate in Pearl City, too. While these incidents were very real, nowadays I highly doubt you'll run into any trouble unless you are the cause. Compared to all of the places I've traveled to in the world, mainland included, I find Hawaii the most tolerant of the different ethnicities. I know me and my local friends (local haoles included) are always making "jokes" about our different ethnic backgrounds. As a local Asian, I never feel threated anywhere I go ... Kalihi, Kahuku, Waikiki, Downtown, Waianae, wherever ....

I think the main thing that will determine if your family has a nice life here is their attitude. Are they truly willing to be open to other cultures? I think if your kids can assimilate by making friends with kids of all backgrounds, they should be okay. If they tend to hang out with only other haole kids, they'll have more problems. In my own experience, I've never seen ANY of my local or Hawaiian friends get into it with someone just because he was haole. It was always something else that set them off. Good luck, and I think your family should be okay as long as you embrace all the different cultures in Hawaii.

Comment

Went to high school on Kauai during the early 70's. We never had either day, be it by word of mouth (and then again I don't think I was in any gossip circles) by the students or the faculty or being broadcast on the school PA's system (I get the impression whenever this topic comes out, people think it was something like a dodgeball event). Sure the school had a number of fights among the students but I don't think race was a primary reason for the fights.
                        Last edited by helen; January 2, 2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Any area of Honolulu more prone to crime/incidents?
                          Yes, but kinda hard to give a list. When you say Honolulu, are you talking about metropolitan Honolulu or the whole island of Oahu?

I've had plenty of opportunity to read about race issues on this board and posters complaining of discrimination were predominantly white.
                          I think it goes something like this. White folks are blamed for screwing things up. They're the ones who overthrew the Queen and took over. The Asians and Filipinos were just laborers who were brought over to work the plantains for the white people. Yeah, that's ancient history, but that does explain an underlying bias. Asians in general tend to be more humble, not make trouble. Whites have a saying "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" while the Asians tend to say "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down".

That said, I think some of the worst confrontations tends to be within an ethnic group: Between the locals and the FOB (fresh off the boat).

It looks like most of the local confrontation is hot air/shouting matches?
                          I'm guessing they are usually classified the same as bar fights. Not likely you'll find any stats that show what is really race motivated or not. I think the low rate as to do with acquired skills in avoiding confrontation.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            Ummm....side note: Harlem is a neighborhood in upper Manhattan. Manhattan is a whole borough.

Even Harlem is further divided into smaller neighborhoods.

It's not simple, no matter where you go. And it does make a difference.
                            My error. I've been NY state, but never NYC. But I think my point came across.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
                              I'm also a product of the 70s and 80s, and believe me "Kill Haole Day" was very real at schools on the Windward side like King Intermediate and Castle High.
                              I didn't mean to imply any differently. I guess I'm just looking back over 30 years and what would be rather traumatic then isn't as ugly to me now. Coming home bruised up was a very real possibility. Getting put in the hospital wasn't likely. As such "kill" was hyperbole. At least in the Kailua schools I went to.

Yes, the day was very real. That said, my experience was that it wasn't so much random acts as it was an excuse for one's enemies to act. Enemies that had made their existence known long before the last day of school. Some years I did skip that last day. All it was was one party anyway. Not like your going to get any classroom learning done. Other years I went and enjoyed it. Just had to keep alert for eggs, water balloons and shaving cream. Over all, I think my best years were the ones where I was the "senior" or oldest class in the school.

Comment

I think the best time in High school wasn't high school itself but the 10-year reunion.

But yeah Kill Haole day. Trouble with Kalani HS was that there were so many Japanese and Chinese kids there and just a handful of Mokes that there wasn't too much of a problem as some Haole's could easily beat the crap out of a lot of Japanese kids there anyway.

I remember back in 1982 when I was working for a computer leasing company (Data Dimensions) and had to go to Kalaheo HS for some repair work. An "incident" was in play near the library as I drove my van on campus.

There it was this small Japanese kid being hung over the second-story balcony by his ankles by some big haole kid and everybody down below yelling, "drop him drop him".

No cell phones yet, I race to a cop (yes a police officer) guarding the front entrance for truants telling him to get his butt over to the library real fast.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X