"Kill Haole Day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Kill Haole Day"

I don't remember these "celebrations" on the Big Island in my days, but knew of such things on Oahu. I was told it was "Rap a Jap" at some schools and was held on December 7.

We had various "corners" at school - Haole Corner, Uka Corner, Pirate Corner, Wrecker Corner, etc. - where students congregated before classes started or during recess. Very few disturbances during my time there. And there were more than a few non-Haoles hanging out at Haole Corner.

Comment

Never heard of a KHD in any of my town's big high schools, and I am a DOE K-12 kid, grad in the mid 80s.

pax

Comment

I think this phenomenon may have been mostly limited to Oahu schools; growing up on Maui and attending public K-12 there, I never heard of KHD either. Or maybe because back then on Maui, most of the caucasian students were born in Hawai'i and were treated like locals?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I went to school with some jerks who thought everyday was kill haole day, but it was mostly just talk. This was back in the 70's in Mililani. We didn't have "slap a jap" day because there were too many Japanese kids around so I guess we would end up slapping each other.

Comment

I was in Catholic school back in the 70s. We'd heard about it, but Kill Haole Day was not a factor at school. But you can believe that I was definitely looking over my shoulder and ready to run like hell at any moment once I left school. I never suffered a beat-down, but the fear was there.
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

I went to King Intermediate and Castle in the mid to late 70's. All talk from what I remember.

Comment

I went to Kalaheo High skU and we had K.H.D, kill haole day...it was fricken hilarious...we never actually "killed" anyone..however some milk boms went flying in their direction at lunch...

I'm one hapa and my cousins who are moke of da mokiest of peeps would dump wata on me!

lol,
                that was the good 'ol days,

Kaya
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                  Kill Haole Day? Is this for real?
                  No. It is not for real. anymore. we have covered this many times in previous threads; it was part of the 60's and 70's. at least for me, at central intermediate and McKinley High. Maybe different for others. and apparently didn't exist on outer islands.
                  as others point out, the "safety" uuuhhh "issue" is largely dependent on how kids act and react around here. You act up like some fob haole, you goin get yer okole re-arranged. I never had trouble near, at, or on killhaole day. Being "causcasian" but having been raised here, it was no problem. 'tho, small keed time, i coulda been considered tall and kinda skinny, I was not a target. it also didn't hurt that da mokes were my friends. killhaole day was as stated before, just a threat. We never saw anything come of it. nothing more than a handful of dayglo haole kids quaking in their boots toward the end of the school year.
                  Being referred to as "haole" is something new and I'm still not sure what to think about it.
                  short ansah;
                  you will prolly never be sure what to think about it. as many recently arrived haole still are not sure what da hell it means. and many will continue to be offended by it and claim racism when the term is invoked. again; it's yer attitude. ya wanna be offended? ya are.
                  ya wanna let it roll off yer back? Then it's not offensive.
                  long ansah; check da archives.
                  Last edited by kimo55; January 4, 2007, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Being referred to as "haole" is something new and I'm still not sure what to think about it.
                    As one comedian put it, it's all in the adjective put in front of it.

Comment

I am aware of the adjective. It's delightfully resentful. I read a lot of messages on this site. As a general remark, even if something exists as "only a threat" it regularly poisons hearts and minds.

On a slightly different note, if something's meant as an insult, it is an insult regardless how philosophical you get about it. If it does not bother you, good for you. If you misinterpret something or make it larger than it is, you have a problem that's nothing but your own. And of course you can have the good old twist where you're getting pooped on and being told you're smelling roses.

When I wrote that I wasn't sure what to think about the term haole and being referred to as such the emphasis was more on "think" than on "feel" .

This place gives a few lovely definitions of the terms I often read here

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moke

Comment

This place gives a few lovely definitions of the terms I often read here

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moke
                        yea. well just as with wikipedia. take anything there with a grain of salt. plus a saltblock;
                        fake. fakefakefake.
                        written by other than ones who know.
                        ya wanna know wadda moke is?
                        ask a moke.
                        or don't ask.
                        find out when ya get here.
                        but don't expect nahteen from an urban online dick.

Comment

And of course you can have the good old twist where you're getting pooped on and being told you're smelling roses.
                          fertilizer is good for roses.

Comment

I am aware of the adjective. It's delightfully resentful.
                            one may possibly rejoin;

"with good reason"

bt not I.

Comment

Well Hi there Kimo 55 You "Local" Haole you! Me too Brah.
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

back in the day when I went to school at Lahainaluna we had "Kill Haole Day", and "Slap a Jap" day. But it didn't stop there either. We took it a step further in Lahaina...we also had "Choke a Moke" day too! Plus on any given day it was "smash the borders" day. Lahainaluna being the oldest high school west of the Rockies, had plenty of kids sent over to attend Lahainaluna back in the old days. In the old days of the Wild ,wild west. A lot of parents decided to send their kids to Hawaii to attend Lahainaluna HS instead of sending them back east for their education. The mindset back then was kids were safer traveling across the pacific to attend school in Lahaina rather than sending them back east to attend school. This way they(parents) wouldn't worry about Indians scalping their kids for going back east for an education.
                                Lahainaluna has kept the tradition of keeping Borders on campus...with the majority of them from Honolulu these days. The Lahaina kids have always given "hard rubs", to the off island kids.

But to raise your kids in Hawaii even with all this, is really nothing to concern yourself about. Hands down Hawaii is one of the better places in the world to raise kids. But don't lose sight of the fact that anywhere has bad eggs too.

Comment

Working...
                                X