Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how do you cope?

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post

Don't know if anyone's curious or not but Sami is part lab part bull breed of sorts so technically he falls under the generic term Pitbull which will probably scare some of you due to breed prejudice.

Oh and for the record, the zoo at my home consists of:
    2 cats, 29 gallon tank with goldfish, 55 gallon freshwater tank with assorted fish, and a 46 gallon bow front marine tank with live rock, anemone, few fish, hermit crabs and snails. The marine tank requires the most work
    KP, sorry to hear of your losses.

i just want to add that we got our current dog from the SPCA also and he's a really good dog. It sucks that there are some people out there that have breed prejudice and trust me we have encountered our share as we had a 14 year old rottie, then another rottie after. they are both passed now and i couldn't deal with having another rottie, So off we went to the SPCA and that day we ended up adopting a 3 year pitbull/boxer mix. I can definitely tell you all those dogs regardless of their breed were great dogs. when we adopted we wanted to make sure what the background was and why he was there and why his previous owner gave him up. so anyway, before you buy consider adopting again.. there's a lot of good dogs out there that need a home.

wanna doggie sit for 3 days??
    Last edited by CranBeree; September 28, 2007, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I can honestly say that I feel cared for by everyone on here even though I'm a stranger.
      Hui! You're not a Stranger!! We are an Ohana here on HT! Mighty and strong. We are people with real problems, hurts and whateva's. We come OnLine to escape the madness of reality. Some us of share our problems openly as well as our past. We wala'au and debate on issues. Sometimes my head go dizzy. Nah, nobody is a Stranger. LOL Once they join...it's all ova!

Dey Ohana!

God Bless you and your wife.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

BTW: What is a poi dog? I googled it and according to wikipedia, they're extinct?
        Poi Dog

Oh, wait. I think they mean this: Poi Dog

Comment

Hmm interesting... I always thought a poi dog was a mutt.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
            Hmm interesting... I always thought a poi dog was a mutt.
            YepOtherwise known as a Heinz 57.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
              YepOtherwise known as a Heinz 57.
              HAHA! and here I thought there was some exotic breed i was missing out on!
              -kp!

Comment

CranBeree, I have a daughter that really showed me this, and it is "Punish the Deed, not the Breed!" Also, punish the people that abuse and misuse certain breeds and cause the breed to become branded in a bad way.

Very sweet picture, thanks for sharing~
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  I don't know if this is at ALL helpful, but I'm a dog-lover too, and books I've read all say that when you lose a dog, the best thing to do for dealing with the loss is to get a new one. Don't wait around; just go get a new dog.

That doesn't address your needing someone to lean on, but I think it will help. Doggies definitely help.
                  Meet Chewie C.A. He is my dog and she wants to get a Cocker Spaniel. Chewie's an English Springer Spaniel. I saw the spots on his white muzzle and the name Chewie C.A. Came to mind. Can anyone figure out what the C.A. stands for?

On a sad note. The behaviorist e-mailed us the report today on Sami. I understand why she wrote some of the things she wrote but I'm afraid it'll make it difficult to rehome him.

Conclusion:

As a result of the third bite, Paolo and Aneysa have decided that keeping Sam is not possible. As a professional, I support their decision completely. His bites are too hard and the multiple strike bites concern me. Bite inhibition, or the ability to bite without causing damage, is something learned in puppyhood. It cannot be taught to Sam at this point. For unknown reasons, Sam did not learn bite inhibition. Leaving a litter too early and being a singleton are two possible reasons why a dog might not learn to inhibit his bites.

Sam exhibits spontaneous fearful reactions to strange things, like the cable wire. Life in a home is far too unpredictable, and when such bad bites are at stake, it is a dangerous situation. It is impossible to predict what might set Sam off. His bites are increasing in frequency.

Sam is exhibiting serious aggression and every effort must be taken to make sure that anyone who interacts with Sam is safe from being bitten. Sam is uncomfortable around the other dogs that he has been introduced to, and he is fearful of the cats that he lives with. Sam cannot be around children, of course, since children are often unpredictable.

I cannot recommend that Sam be re-homed at this time. The only choices that I can support are either returning him to the shelter or humane euthanasia by a qualified technician or vet. Paolo and Aneysa do not want to euthanize Sam, so the only safe option is to return him to the shelter where they adopted him. There, he can be evaluated and handled by professionals.

A veterinary exam should be done to make sure that there is no medical reason for his behavior. Doing a full blood screening should be discussed with Sam’s vet to rule out nay possible causes for the recent aggression.

The most likely reason for Sam’s aggression is conflict. Sam is fearful in some ways but very pushy and assertive in other ways. He may have post traumatic stress issues from bad experiences early in life, and he may have been inadequately socialized during his socialization period. He has poor bite inhibition and is uneasy with new things. Life is very stressful for Sam, and instead of fleeing when he is threatened he fights. Social maturity occurs around 2-3 years of age which can explain why a bite had not occurred before this point. Many dogs do not bite before they reach social maturity.
                  -kp!

Comment

You might want to think twice about the Cocker, they tend to be nippy. I believe that the ratio of biting to breed puts the Cocker way up on the list for aggressiveness.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/ER5.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                      You might want to think twice about the Cocker, they tend to be nippy. I believe that the ratio of biting to breed puts the Cocker way up on the list for aggressiveness.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/ER5.htm

IMHO, I agree. We had 5 kids in our family and had a cocker spaniel. He bit the face of my cousin over a watermelon candy (he was eating the candy under the table, the 4-year old went to grab the candy from in front of him). Loads of plastic surgery. He was a good dog, otherwise, but prefered the older kids and adults. Little kids bothered him, obviously.

Don't know if that experience SHOULD be generalized, but that is just what happened 20 years ago....

Comment

My next dog:
                        http://www.dog-breeds.net/Hunter%20a...e%20150dpi.JPG
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Found this:

http://dogobedienceadvice.com/which_...aggressive.php

I didn't know about 'rage syndrome'

Cocker Spaniels often suffer from a dangerous genetic disease known as "rage syndrome." This syndrome causes spontaneous violent action against not strangers, but actual family members. Many Spaniels have been put down because of this unwanted behavior. Check with the breeder to ensure your Spaniel is free from this dangerous dog disease.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                            What kind of dog is that?

It doesn't quite look like a whippet or greyhound, but it does look like a sight hound/runner type.

Ahhh....found it, it's an Ibizan hound

http://www.bramblewoodkennel.com/boys.html
                            Last edited by Peshkwe; October 1, 2007, 01:24 PM. Reason: Found the breed

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                              Ahhh....found it, it's an Ibizan hound
                              Ibizan Hound Temperament -
                              Best described as even-tempered, the Ibizan hound (sometimes lovingly referred to as a “Beezer”) is gentle, quiet, and loyal. It is good with small children but care should be taken with small pets such as cats or rabbits. The Ibizan is a hunter by nature. A cat that is raised with this type of dog should be safe because the Ibizan will consider the cat part of the “pack.” However, the Ibizan will likely kill a cat it does not know. Although sensitive and sometimes willful, this breed is trainable and enjoys learning, but will bore easily. It will respond better to a friendly voice than a gruff order. The Ibizan hound is clean and respectful of house rules. It is not a kennel dog. It enjoys human company. From a young age it is important to socialize this breed with other dogs, other animals and with humans. Although it retains its impressive instinct for hunting, the Ibizan hound makes a quiet, companionable house pet.
                              Attached Files
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

What a lovely dog! I am a cat person, and yappy dogs and dogs that want to terrify you from their side of the fence do not appeal to me. But this is a breed that seems to be neither.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X