Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pit Bulls????

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
    susie, this by far has to be one of the most ignorant comments you ever posted.
    Many countries are trying to do just that, by requiring castration and sterilization, and disallowing any breeding.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

susie, this by far has to be one of the most ignorant comments you ever posted.
      PS Why is this an ignorant comment?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Susie, that is mean and uncalled for. Go sleep.
        It wasn't mean to be mean, Auntie. There are countries in the world who are trying to do something like this, one way or another...Britain has been trying for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
          Why are you showing us the OPINION of a SPORTS WRITER?!?

Breed Specific Laws are ineffective and costly. - The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals.
          Last edited by Kungpao; October 4, 2007, 01:33 PM.
          -kp!

Comment

Sometimes, 'freedoms' are not such a hot idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
              Why are you showing us the OPINION of a SPORTS WRITER?!?

Breed Specific Laws are ineffective and costly. - The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals.
              Simply to demonstrate that this issue has gone well beyond "some irresponsible owners". The entire breed has been righteously called into question IMO. Who knows what bloodline any individual dog is part of. At best it might just be a danger to everyone else's animals. At worst, well UNO.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

so what does that have to do with the BREED????

here is a link that Pesh provided in another thread:
                http://dogobedienceadvice.com/which_...aggressive.php

as i stated again, it is the irresponsibility of the owners that give these dogs a bad rap.

the difference between dogs and humans is that dogs cant plead insanity when they are reckless. hell then we should all call for sterilization for parents that give birth to kids that grow up to murder, rob, destroy etc. let's banish those people.

i could write a whole dissertation on why i don't believe pits/rotties deserve the bad rap that they get. sadly, there are people out there that perpetuate the myth that these dogs are no good. i disagree. i have them in my home, they have grown up with my children, shared their bed and was raised well. regardless of what is put out there via the media or the "haters" it won't change my mind about how i feel about these breeds.
                Last edited by CranBeree; October 4, 2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                  Many countries are trying to do just that, by requiring castration and sterilization, and disallowing any breeding.
                  deleted..*sigh*
                  Last edited by CranBeree; October 4, 2007, 05:44 PM.

Comment

my pride is in the fact that i can control my dog and not the other way around. ive had rotties for over 14 years, pits on and off for about 7 years. not ONCE have they bit on command or even just for the hell of it.

I think this statement illustrates the problem with attack dog owners and gives a hint as to the psychological "need" that drives people to select "dangerous" breeds of dogs as household pets.

"CONTROL" is the key. The need for power. Why do you need this power CranBerree? I have no idea.

And then the belief that you can "control" this "powerful" animal. This belief is as dangerous or more dangerous than the dog itself. The safest pit bull owner is the one who fears his dog and takes appropriate defensive actions. The owner who cockily says he can "control" his pit bull is the one who is more likely to end up hurting someone.

Of course every vicious dog owner whose dog killed or maimed someone or something thought they could control their dogs as well. Its always the other guys that are "irresponsible".

How many times have well intentioned individuals ended up hurting themselves by believing that they could alter animal instinct? The guy who befriended the bears in Alaska comes to mind. Eaten along with his girlfriend for dinner. The elephant trainer who thought he could control the elephant until it got tired and head butted him. Dead I think. Lions attacking their trainers. Too many to remember.

You BREED these attack traits into the dog and that takes many many generations. The only way to elliminate the desire to attack is to BREED them out and that would take just as many generations not just some tough guy who proclaims his or her power over the animal. It won't happen in one generation.

This is why we normally don't have lions, or bears or tigers as pets. Even if humans take them from birth, the genetic software to fight and hunt and kill is preloaded software and can return at any moment.

And to those who say its just because they are "big" dogs, that is not true and silly. You cannot say that you don't see an obvious difference between a pit bull (pure muscle, large jaw, powerful, defensive, active etc) and a Great Dane for example. (known as "gentle giants"). Its like comparing The Falaniko Noga with Jeremy Harris. There is a difference.
                    Last edited by kamuelakea; October 4, 2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                      I think this statement illustrates the problem with attack dog owners and gives a hint as to the psychological "need" that drives people to select "dangerous" breeds of dogs as household pets.

"CONTROL" is the key. The need for power. Why do you need this power CranBerree? I have no idea.

And then the belief that you can "control" this "powerful" animal. This belief is as dangerous or more dangerous than the dog itself. The safest pit bull owner is the one who fears his dog and takes appropriate defensive actions. The owner is cockily says he can "control" his pit bull is the one who is more likely to end up hurting someone.

Of course every vicious dog owner whose dog killed or maimed someone or something thought they could control their dogs as well. Its always the other guys that are "irresponsible".

How many times have well intentioned individuals ended up hurting themselves by believing that they could alter animal instinct? The guy who befriended the bears in Alaska comes to mind. Eaten along with his girlfriend for dinner. The elephant trainer who thought he could control the elephant until it got tired and head butted him. Dead I think. Lions attacking their trainers. Too many to remember.

You BREED these attack traits into the dog and that takes many many generations. The only way to elliminate the desire to attack is to BREED them out and that would take just as many generations not just some tough guy who proclaims his or her power over the animal. It won't happen in one generation.

This is why we normally don't have lions, or bears or tigers as pets. Even if humans take them from birth, the genetic software to fight and hunt and kill is preloaded software and can return at any moment.

And to those who say its just because they are "big" dogs, that is not true and silly. You cannot say that you don't see an obvious difference between a pit bull (pure muscle, large jaw, powerful, defensive, active etc) and a Great Dane for example. (known as "gentle giants"). Its like comparing The Incredible Hulk with Audy Kimura. There is a difference.

ok because if i have a big 150 lb dog, hell i should be able to control him. if i have a dog and i do like big dogs, then it is in everyone's interest that i am able to control my dog. so i dont know where you get off that i need this "power" why don't you walk any dog to a dog park with a dog that YOU DON'T have control over, maybe then you'll understand what i said about the control and as Cesar Millan always says "Be the Pack Leader." Look, i don't care what you think of me as a person in having these dogs in my family, raising them with my kids etc cuz i know first hand how good these dogs are and at the end of the day all that matters is that we all live happy together, along with out 3 african greys....which our dogs leave alone.

Comment

Heres the simplest problem that I see with attack dogs as pets and members of communities.

I am a male, 200lbs, former linebacker. I don't back down from a fight. But when I see these dogs in public or where ever, I get nervous. They make me scared. They look scary. They look like they want to take a bite out of me. They look at me like I slept with their girl friend. Call me paranoid but I didn't sleep with their girl friend. In fact, their girlfriends are all ugly.

What triggers dogs of all breeds to go on the offensive? FEAR. They can smell it. We all know that.

So if I am nervous, what about a 8 year old girl or most of the world that is smaller and physically weaker than me?

See there is no "CONTROL" you can exert to elliminate the "FEAR" that strangers around your dogs exude and there is no way for you to keep your dogs from smelling that fear. It's just mother nature in action.

I am not afraid of attack dogs because I'm predudice. I am afraid of them because I am smart enough to realize that I would much rather be bit by a chihuahua than a pit bull. Its survival.

Just remember that mean dog owners. People around you are afraid and your dogs smell it.

Comment

My God people

Fear of the unknown is running rampant here. I know I'm not going to type something that's going to make some of you say "hey, he's right! I'm going to go out and buy a Pit Bull/Rottweiller right now!!!", but let me add my .02 cents anyway..........

Yes, I'm a firm believer of "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners" so let me focus on those idiots for a bit. Anyone who gets one of these dogs and tries to actually train these dogs to attack on command, and has absolutely NO experience doing so, is a bonehead. These inexperienced people now have that so-called 'loaded gun' running around the house now, and it's going to go off on them, family, or neighbors. Plus, you have a dog not fit to be a pet. You know, Hawaii is a small state and we all live on small islands. I haven't seen many Rotts here, but Pitts are all over the place. I can only imagine what the inbreeding is doing to their mental health. Again, there's your loaded gun. Unfortunately, I know from experience that some people get a Pitt/Rott just to make them seem more intimidating to other people. If you don't get a dog for a pet, then don't bother getting a dog. Now I have nothing against people getting watchdogs, but these dogs should be professionally trained and being 100% controlled by the owners.

Yes, 'control' is the key word when owning one of these "Red Zone" dogs. But you know, 'contol' is needed for ALL dogs. All dogs are pack animals, and all dogs are protective over their pack. Someone posted Then how come the irresponsible owners of poodles and chihuahuas never seem to be able to trigger their dogs into murderous rages?. Holy cow, these two breeds have to be the most visious dogs of ALL breeds. This Chihuahua mauled my sneaker just because I stepped on it's chew toy to hear it squeal. Of course, the obvious difference is that these dogs are only 1 to 3 pounds, compared to 100+ pounds of Rott or Pitt. Again, control is key for ALL dogs, so a responsible dog owner will have control of thier dog, no matter what the breed.

Now for some of you posters who are completely against these breeds of dogs, I can understand the fear for these dogs. Most of them really don't have that "happy" or "cute and cuddly" looking face that other breeds have, and if one was to come running at me showing his teeth, you bet your butt I'll be running the other way screaming like a girl (yes, I'm a 200 pound 6 foot guy too). In fact, my sister (who is with HPD) says the bad guys are more afraid of cops with dogs than cops with guns.

But anyway, all I ask is that you seriously think about who to point that accusing finger at. Are there visious Pitts and Rotts out there ? Of course. Are they like that because irresponsible owners reinforced that aggressive trait that all dogs have ? Of course. Are they like that because it's the nature of the breed ? I really don't think so. I've just had way too many experiences growing up with them. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad dog owners there.

So once you change your mind about Rotts and Pitts, give me a call and I'll intorduce you to the joys of free diving with Great White Sharks

DiverDown - Rottweiler & Pitbull owner

Note: It really sucks when you type a long-winded post, and then you have to log back on because you took so long to type......only to find out you lost everything you typed.......carry on
                          www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                            Heres the simplest problem that I see with attack dogs as pets and members of communities.

I am a male, 200lbs, former linebacker. I don't back down from a fight. But when I see these dogs in public or where ever, I get nervous. They make me scared. They look scary. They look like they want to take a bite out of me. They look at me like I slept with their girl friend. Call me paranoid but I didn't sleep with their girl friend. In fact, their girlfriends are all ugly.

What triggers dogs of all breeds to go on the offensive? FEAR. They can smell it. We all know that.

So if I am nervous, what about a 8 year old girl or most of the world that is smaller and physically weaker than me?

See there is no "CONTROL" you can exert to elliminate the "FEAR" that strangers around your dogs exude and there is no way for you to keep your dogs from smelling that fear. It's just mother nature in action.

I am not afraid of attack dogs because I'm predudice. I am afraid of them because I am smart enough to realize that I would much rather be bit by a chihuahua than a pit bull. Its survival.

Just remember that mean dog owners. People around you are afraid and your dogs smell it.

all i can say to that, is that is not true of all dogs. but then you'll probably counter with another thing and right now im so tired from my darn long day that i'll just won't add to my comment at the moment. all i can say is sorry you have had a bad experience with these type of dogs, but hey if you ever wanna see a pit, i'll gladly let you dog sit and see how mean :P he is.

as for kids being in fear of dogs, all i can say is someone must have taught them that fear, that is a learned trait. my daughter on the other hand has been raised with all kinds of critters and she's respectful and mindful of them and yes she is well supervised. here she is at 4 or 5 years old with and almost 200 lb great dane.

and here she is with out pit/boxer mix:

Last edited by CranBeree; October 4, 2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Maybe dog owning...especially with 'certain' breeds...should be by licence only? If it's not the dog's fault, but simply a matter of a stupid owner, perhaps the owners should be regulated?

Comment

It's all very nice posting pictures of cute kids with their doggies...but there are also pictures out there that show what the doggies are capable of doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X