Here comes da storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here comes da storm

It's been blowing hard all day here in Kaneohe, with some gusts well over 40mph. And the storm doesn't actually hit us until around midnight tonight. Power has flickered off and on a few times tonight, and there's a good chunk of lightning offshore. The meteorologists are saying winds tonight and tomorrow should be a steady 40, gusting to 60, so that means we could see 70 or even 80 here on the windward side.
    Check the radar loop at this link, and hit your Refresh button every now and then.
    Gee, Kona storms are fun.
    Good luck, everyone...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Here comes da storm

Apparently not too terrible town side, but it's a little after 3am and we're getting hammered in Kaneohe. Winds gusting over 60, intermittent power outages, and sirens going almost non-stop. Don't know if they're fire, ambulance, police, or most likely all three.
    Uh-oh. Power just flickered again...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I was getting ready to go to HIKai 24HF at 3:45 and I couldn't leave because of this storm whipping through. I will be amazed if my avocado tree can handle this. The lignum vitae that's out front lost a significant branch. Oh well, missing one workout won't cause my girth to increase. Only healthy foods today!
      I just hope it slows down enough so I can walk to my bus stop at 5:30. That's an hour from now.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Serious rain and wind in Mililani. Power has been our since 3 a.m. Roads are a mess of leaves, branches, trash... Several signals out. There's a lake on the H-1 east before the Waimalu exit that has closed three lanes and backed things up past the H-1/H-2 merge. Signal at Nimitz and Sand Island was also out. Sheet lightning picking up...

Good thing I left for work early. Enjoying a hot breakfast at Zippy's and browsing the web on my iPhone. Tracking storm reports on Twitter. All TV stations dead but HPR fine? That's a change...

Comment

No Cable in MWH. Lightning and thunder...too scary. Hot cocoa is so good this morning. Bringing out Christmas songs to fill my hale.

Oh! Good morning everyone!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

A coworker driving in from Kaneohe Bay Drive area said several road signs along KBD near Castle H.S. were bent at at the POST! Whoah! He reported power outages sporadically throughout the night, but not of any long duration.

Another coworker out of Ewa Beach had to turn back home and wait out traffic, saying Fort Weaver Road this morning was a PARKING LOT. Said weather last night in Ewa Beach was "hurricane-like".

It was gusty in Waikiki, but not enough to cause any major debris problems on the roadways or sidewalks. Our power stayed on throughout the night (based on clocks not blinking lol).

sounds like the west, north and windward side of Oahu caught the brunt of it.

I must have slept through the hardest-hitting winds, which most folks are reporting happened around 2:30am this morning.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Had to return home because there was no electricity at the office and there was nothing I could do without a computer. This is in McCully ... not all of McCully, just a portion.

Comment

I got up in the night (around 4am) to use the bathroom and there was this big flash of lightning.

Comment

Not much sleep last night. Power out since 9 p.m.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Whatta night in Ewa Beach...the wind and rain were loud enough to wake up a light sleeper like myself. I lived in South Florida for a few years and rode out many hurricane squals and last night was like a strong one. Once I heard the schools were open I got the boys any myself out on the road by 6:15am. I dropped the older boys at Campbell and went to drop off the baby at Seagull School. I arrive...lights are on, good sign. When we reach the class room I'm informed that the decision has been made to close for the day. Oooooooo k. So I run back home, make a bag for the baby and it's off to my office in town. Ft. Weaver was a parking lot up to the Child & Family Service building, but after that it was clear sailing all the way to the end of the viaduct. I even had time to pick up breakfast before going to the office.

I saw lots of downed trees in Ewa, and most of the construction fences along Kapolei Parkway were blown down. Surprisingly little standing water. At the shop in Kakaako...just some standing water. Even the leaky roof held. So here I am in my office with two out of three employees and my 2 year old running wild...whatta day this will be

Comment

2:37am. We were looking out the window wondering whether we should have taken the tent/pavilion thing-y in the backyard down. It was blowing fairly steady at about 30mph with gusts to maybe 45mph. Not too much rain, but thunder and lightning aplenty. (SOP in our house to completely shut down all computers and unplug the APCs whenever storms are threatening.) The tent in the backyard stayed up probably due to the large mango tree which served as a windbreak. Power remained on throughout though it did flicker a couple of times.

Comment

Cable went out at 1:00 p.m. at MWH!!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Apparently not too terrible town side, but it's a little after 3am and we're getting hammered in Kaneohe. Winds gusting over 60, intermittent power outages, and sirens going almost non-stop. Don't know if they're fire, ambulance, police, or most likely all three.
                          Uh-oh. Power just flickered again...
                          It was a wild ride between 3 and 4:30am on Waialae Iki where I'm house sitting. And the house is very low on the ridge, fortunately. Roof shingles blown off, tree branches snapped, a pool full of debris, my car alarm went off, interior doors slamming, thunder and lightening in the distance...whatta mess. I started hearing sirens before I went back to sleep then I woke up to the sound of buzz saws further down the hill! Cable was out briefly and it appears, by the clock on the microwave, that electricity went out, too! I just got to the office after a concerted clean up effort. I'll have to do a lot more tomorrow.

Comment

It's bright and sunny here in the airport district, but the head of school just ordered everyone home. As contrary a soldier as I usually am, I think still will I heed this one without complaint.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Wow, I feel lucky.

Mom reported that power was up and running all last night and this morning. She usually takes the bus from Salt Lake to Waikiki, but had to catch a cab because I wasn't home to take her!

Stayed at the BF's apartment last night where we got hit hard, but our power stayed on as well. Woke up this morning and breathed a sigh of relief to see our cars were not damaged!

Am at work now in Kaimuki and everything's running just fine.

Stay safe, HTers!
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X