Here comes da storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here comes da storm

Wow, I'm just reading this now. Hope everyone is OK and have the hatches battened down.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Nothing's bad on the Kalihi front, just minor power outage that affected traffic lights on Dillingham Boulevard in the morning.

Windy but no snapped poles yet ... *knocks on wood.*

Did KHON2 and KHNL8 went off the air, or not broadcasting OTA?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Took a trip over to the Windward side this morning. Recall hearing all the warnings on the radio yesterday about possible loss of control of SUVs/large trucks due to heavy winds. A couple of lights out at key intersections along Kahakili, and there's one that's permanently frozen on yellow (on Likelike, I think). Saw trees down all over power lines; heard the power company was driving around trying to find all those kinds of dangerous places. Still no power in the Temple Valley area; Tmobile phones not working over there. One person's basketball hoop split in half. Normally there's a car parked there, but luckily not this time! Saw one unlucky neighber who'd already cut up the tree that had fallem on and damanged their roof.

My car appt got moved up (it was either that or cancel) since the Pfluger Acura was struggling without power on Beretania.

Comment

I was in Kona today. Left HNL at 7:20 am this morning. Came back on the 2:50 flight. Never saw Kona rain like that with lightning, gale winds and it was on the cold-ish side. If ever you've been to Kona aiport, it is MISERABLE in the torrential rain. As nervous a flyer as I am, I could not wait to get onto a plane even though I knew it was going to be a bumpy ride back.
          n'importe

Comment

Funny how the wind totally died down here just after sunrise. Picked up a bit this afternoon again, but not bad. I've spent most of the day clearing fallen branches, cleaning out drains and gutters, trying to repair broken fences, and dealing with one huuuuuge tree (80' or so) that uprooted and crashed.
            One sorta amusing thing was early this morning I was checking out one of our coral trees that had a large branch broken off. The rest of the tree was leaning, and I was just planning to cut it down when cra-a-a-ack and it fell right over about two feet away from me. Fun. Or so I'm told.
            Many parts of Kaneohe are still without power, though it's been on all day in my area. As most of you know, Oceanic Cable was completely down island-wide for a few hours -- no TV, no internet. Apparently all good now.
            Forecast is looking a lot better. Hooray for all of us! Glad everyone here is okay and doesn't sound like anyone had major problems.
            Personally, I've been up since midnight so I might just fade out and

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Any reports from Hilo on this storm ?

I wonder how the big islands rainiest city is doing.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

It's very BAD here at MWH!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  It's very BAD here at MWH!
                  Windy, or what? Current radar images don't show rain there. Or if it is raining, it shouldn't last long at all.
                  Hang in there, Auntie!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Windy, or what? Current radar images don't show rain there. Or if it is raining, it shouldn't last long at all.
                    Hang in there, Auntie!
                    Juss drizzling now but it was Pouring. I tried to be BRAVE cause my son is here. But he knew I scared. I wen huli my coffee and run in the room.

Foa shame.

It's ok. I brave. Da worse is ova.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

At the restaurant, we found most of our out door dining stuff(table and chairs) within Ohua st. Our umbrellas, man that got some distance! 2 blocks for a few of 'em.

Two of our flag poles were bent significantly.

All in all, a S*%$#y day!

Looks like things are calmer now, but as I type, I hear the wind starting to whip- up and the rain smashing against the windows...I guess we will all know tomorrow...

Hope everyone is back up to par from last nights events!
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Power just came back where I live in Wai'anae about an hour ago. (20 hours without electricity, since 11 pm last night.) Couldn't leave Wai'anae this morning because of the downed utility poles in Ma'ili and Nanakuli, so I missed my one Wednesday class at HPU today. (Downtown campus was open, but Windward campus was closed.) We had no power, no phone, no cable, no Internet, and no water, since a papaya tree in our backyard somehow burst a water pipe. My dad had turned off the water main in the early morning when the pipe burst and fixed the pipe around lunch time, though, so it must've been relatively minor. Wai'anae High School was closed, so my sister was home, and we spent the day talking story, and basically bonding. Nice to take a break from all the extra things we take advantage of every day, but am glad everything's just about back to normal. Phone line's still not working, though...
                        Last edited by liberty; December 5, 2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

The weather has been wild and crazy here in Kona. First the wind came, the rain and lightening. I don't recall it raining that hard here in Kona in a very long time.
                          The upside is I got out from having to go to work tonight, although my girlfriend wasn't able to
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Funny, the freakouts about the weather...

Seems it was like this all the time when I was a kid in the 70s/early 80s... come November it means wet, wild wintery weather... for months.

This is the way it's supposed to be, no?

Comment

On the Today show this morning they reported blizzard conditions on the Big Island. I'm assuming they're talking about on top of Mauna Kea - but they didn't say that. You guys in Hilo shoveling snow????

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                                On the Today show this morning they reported blizzard conditions on the Big Island. I'm assuming they're talking about on top of Mauna Kea - but they didn't say that. You guys in Hilo shoveling snow????
                                Yeah I just checked, both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are under blizzard warnings.
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X