Toddler thrown onto freeway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toddler thrown onto freeway

I sent my daughter several links to this story. She just sent me the following message. I think I agree with her 'an eye for an eye'...
    I'm having a crappy day and this just topped it off. This makes me want to cry. Who could EVER hurt an innocent child? Ass hole! I hope they torture this guy by throwing him off the overpass and having 2 cars hit him!!
    People!!!! What is this world coming to! SOOOO sad!

Comment

This paints an even more troubling picture. That sweet, innocent child didn't ask to be born.

Comment

just my two cents but i wish kitv's news report didn't include video footage of the mom returning to her place and being told that her son had been killed. sure, jodi leong said something like "we warn you that this video footage contains raw emotions" or something like that but i don't see how that makes it any more acceptable. some woman/mother is being told that her child has been killed and was thrown onto the freeway from a pedestrian walkway and they record that? i can't even imagine the depths of her pain. do i need to watch this? for what reason? it wish the newspeople had said something like, "you know, we have this footage but we don't need to use it" or "...we won't use it".

why not give this poor woman some privacy instead of showing everyone her pain/grief? are we so voyeristic that we need to see this?

an incredibly sad story. i don't know how she's going to be able to deal with this unimaginable tragedy but i hope she does....
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I have it from a well-connected source that the child was a girl. Honestly, I don't know whom to believe, because it's a really well-connected source.
          Hmmm I think you better reassess the accuracy of your "well-connected" source. The Advertiser has pretty much identified the victim as 1-year old Cyrus Belt...a boy.

But then even some of the best sources need to get their info from other sources and at the time nobody even knew the age, sex or the mother of Cyrus.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Hmmm I think you better reassess the accuracy of your "well-connected" source. The Advertiser has pretty much identified the victim as 1-year old Cyrus Belt...a boy.
            Arrrrgh. I fear you may be right. But I mean this person is REALLY well-connected. I'm talking about an inner-inner-circle HPD-type person. But yeah. I got bum dope almost for sure.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Arrrrgh. I fear you may be right. But I mean this person is REALLY well-connected. I'm talking about an inner-inner-circle HPD-type person. But yeah. I got bum dope almost for sure.
              Well I hope you're not talking about Frank Fujii. He's pretty akamai about his reportings and was at the scene talking to reporters.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wasnt sure where to put this but.....

I am so sorry to hear about that poor little child thrown like a ragdoll to his death.
                How positively horrible! If I had a few wishes, one would be to live to see vigilant justice legal. I would come back to the island to tear that mans arms off.
                If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

I find it interesting that the child's name (Cyrus Belt) was released, or at least published by the media, before the mother's (apparently the medical examiner has not yet officially made the identification). I would have expected a bit more caution in that respect. The Star-Bulletin story this morning read, "The 33-year-old mother, who gave her name only as Nancy..." In the Advertiser's evolving "Breaking News" item, we learn her name was Nancy Asiata Chanco. Unstated but presumed is that the boy's last name, Belt, comes from her boyfriend, Shane.

The father (said to have been in prison since Cyrus was two weeks old), I'm guessing, is Richard Ernest Chanco. The pair were apparently married in early January 2003, and a Richard E. Chanco is listed in the judiciary system as having been sentenced to prison for promotion of a dangerous drug in Oct. 2003.

Interesting also the mother's assertions that she never trusted Higa, but the widespread reports from neighbors that Higa was at least at some point having contact with the kid (if not an outright babysitter). I'm wondering if the boy's grandfather or her boyfriend were a bit more lax when she was out?

Random question: She reports getting contacted by neighbors while going to "appointments in Iwilei and Ala Moana" with reports of Higa throwing a baby from a bridge... but an overheating car and a dead cell phone keeps her away from home until 7 p.m.?

Finally, the issue of Higa's hospital scrubs hasn't yet been totally resolved. Queen's definitely raised eyebrows with an almost suspiciously preemptive statement (though of course they were probably getting calls), and ultimately refused comment despite confirmation by police that Higa was very recently a patient there.
                  Last edited by pzarquon; January 18, 2008, 03:16 PM. Reason: Updating details for Richard Chanco.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    Finally, the issue of Higa's hospital scrubs hasn't yet been totally resolved. Queen's definitely raised eyebrows with an almost suspiciously preemptive statement (though of course they were probably getting calls), and ultimately refused comment despite confirmation by police that Higa was very recently a patient there.
                    This part doesn't surprise me at all; aren't confidentiality laws very strict in this state?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Medical information is tricky everywhere (see also: HIPAA). Hell, releasing information about an athletes injuries during a game is technically a major no-no. But the scrubs make things a little messier.

I guess I'm basically raising my eyebrow at the "he wasn't our responsibility!" press release so early on, which seems like a rookie CYA maneuver if eventually the dots get connected. "We are not missing a patient" is not the same as perhaps ultimately having to say, "He was discharged so of course he was not technically missing."

Comment

absolutely no private health information can be released without consent. this includes whether a patient is staying, has stayed or even did not stay at a hospital. this is federal law that has a $20,000 penalty per event if violated.

the scrubs part doesn't really concern me (tho i'll admit i was quite relieved to see they look nothing like anything any of our staff or patients wear). scrubs are easy to get even if you don't work in healthcare, unlike, let's say, police uniforms. shoot--you can even buy them at long's.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

PZ raises some questions about the time of the mother arriving home even after knowing as much as a situation involving HIGA and a child. I mean my first reaction was to call Noe and check on the kids, call my Mom, sister, cousins, everyone to have them check on their children. I think most everyone had this sort of reaction.

This morning, my sister asked me what I interpreted as "person of interest" with respect to HPD questioning both the mother and her boyfriend, and I said, "No one said the child was struggling or reacting to the situation, rather they describe the child as a doll."

A doll is lifeless, and the Advertiser is reporting that traffic cams reveal that the child was not moving when he was thrown.

It makes me uncomfortable to raise suspicion, but sick from the thought that there may be truth.

___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

The Advertiser's update saying that the child had been in state custody identifies the child's grandfather as Lilo Asiata. Unless that's a common name, my well-connected acquaintance got one part of his or her story right: This guy is a major figure in local crime, even featured on Dog the Bounty Hunter once. Some of the weird details about all of this (especially the unanswered stuff) could be relevant to that, you think?

The Advertiser doesn't mention a thing about who the grandfather is.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I love it. Mitchell has got his very own "Deep Throat."

KITV actually talked to Lilo, who directly took responsibility for what happened. From what I've heard (heh heh!), this is not an unreasonable conclusion.

Plenty of stuff over at the judiciary website for people not blessed with secret sources. Interesting that KITV didn't go there (with their story, or in their research... Journalism 101!).

So. Dad is in prison for drugs. Grandfather has a record. Kid apparently taken from mother by Child Protective Services. Indeed, kid had wandered off and had to be returned by HPD earlier that same day. While one man clearly had a direct hand in this kid's ultimate and tragic fate, it seems he'd been surrounded his whole life by poor judgement.

Comment

The Advertiser's update saying that the child had been in state custody identifies the child's grandfather as Lilo Asiata. Unless that's a common name, my well-connected acquaintance got one part of his or her story right: This guy is a major figure in local crime,[...]
                                Oh dear God...if it's the same one, he's a film industry teamster.

Such a strange day today. Every adult I came into contact with...a lot, 'cuz it was a casting day...was somber. The day was full of 7-11 year olds auditioning for a commercial. I looked at all those adorable faces knowing that sweet, little Cyrus would never reach even those young ages. I dunno, it's horrible to say what I'm gonna say but I'll say it anyway...maybe that precious little soul is in a way better place right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X