Things overrated by Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things overrated by Americans

How about Cockroach/Americans, Gecko/Americans, and Poi Dog/Americans? I hope these groups don't lose their innocence because of the politicians in our government. As the David Letterman would say, "Am I right people?"

Comment

How about the top MLB and NBA teams being called "World Champions" when there are various pro basketball and baseball leagues in other countries? Maybe at one time, these American pro leagues were untouchable. But as recent international competitions like the Olympics and the World Baseball Classic show, other countries are capable of beating the Americans at their own games.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        I'm well aware that each of the above have their legion of fans. Heck, I'm a big fan of the Beatles. But Mike's post didn't inflame me, or anybody else, judging by the initial responses to this thread. You yourself didn't jump into this thread until atheism/religion was brought up, right?
        my jumping on this thread only until religion was brought up matters how, pray tell?

you & WB have noted this thread "turned angry." i don't agree with that notion at all, and that was my point in the section of post #22 where i address you both.

it's absurd how you toot your horn for keeping things light on this thread as if to point accusingly at those of us who answered mike's initial post with something more substantive than "american idol." all any one of us who have replied in this thread have done is answer mike's question in the manner we see fit, and no post is more appropriate than others.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        Moses didn't remember the commandments, that's why God had to write 'em down Himself/Herself/Itself/Myself.
        forgot about that.

scriv, i happened to run into one of the nuns today, so i asked her about the whole "bearing false witness" thing. the way she explained it to me, the concept of "false witness" includes gossiping--saying things that might be true, but are damaging to your fellow man. i asked if false witness could also include being purposely hurtful by withholding comment or leaving out details, and she affirmed such acts can fall under the false witness umbrella. the backbone of that commandment is, "do unto others," she told me, so if by saying something or not saying something, you are hurting someone, then it's "false witness."

once again, thanks to you, scriv, i learned something new. *thumbs up*
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Wheel Of Fortune

Comment

This thread is very unpatriotic.

How about things overrated by Japanese? Or Italians?
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Okay...

Anime
              &
              Pizza

How's that?
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                Okay...

Anime
                &
                Pizza

How's that?
                Perfect! I'll add...

Japanese:
                Sushi
                Kobe Beef
                Sony
                Toyota - Great in reliability, but the ugliest cars ever designed, except for the new RAV 4 and the original Land Cruiser

Italian:
                Pasta (that came from China, didn't it)
                Parmigiano Reggiano
                Ferrari... err.... um.. OK. I can't say that's overrated. I just can't afford one right now. lol
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                  my jumping on this thread only until religion was brought up matters how, pray tell?
                  I was just stating a plain and simple fact. You entered the thread after atheism/religion entered into the fray. I didn't say there was anything wrong with that. It's just a fact.

At the same time, I didn't think it was unreasonable for me to observe that the religion theme seemed to strike a chord with you. The things that you listed as being overrated (Christian values and In God We Trust) all fell into this category.

By the way, I agreed with much of your initial post.

you & WB have noted this thread "turned angry." i don't agree with that notion at all, and that was my point in the section of post #22 where i address you both.
                  WB used the word "angry." But I concurred with his notion that the tone and discussion did turn more "serious" after religion/atheism was brought up.

it's absurd how you toot your horn for keeping things light on this thread as if to point accusingly at those of us who answered mike's initial post with something more substantive than "american idol." all any one of us who have replied in this thread have done is answer mike's question in the manner we see fit, and no post is more appropriate than others.
                  Sorry if you took post #21 of mine as being some sort of accusation against you. It wasn't intended that way.

Secondly, I wasn't singling myself out. To quote myself from #21, Up until then, I think people tried to stick to things that were inoffensive and innocuous for the most part.

Thirdly, if I was being accusatory at those who got into a deep and serious discussion about religion, then I would have been accusing myself. Look at what I wrote in post #16. Nothing humorous or light about that one, is there?

And finally, I find it more than a bit ironic to be labelled as an "accuser" and then, in turn, being accused for tooting my own horn.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

not overrated by americans per say, but by some locals:

yohei restaurant
                    beachhouse restaurant

i would rate yohei as a B+, but would go back and try some other dishes. most definitely not the soba. beachhouse restaurant i would rate a D. the food was just passable to me. if it had not been for the scenery and hawaiian music, i would have rated it an F. overpriced and overcooked food.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I was just stating a plain and simple fact. You entered the thread after atheism/religion entered into the fray. I didn't say there was anything wrong with that. It's just a fact.[/I]
                      you rolled your eyes after pointing it out, thereby indicating that you've passed some sort of judgment about it. clearly, you are too spineless to admit what thought laid behind the eye-rolling.

At the same time, I didn't think it was unreasonable for me to observe that the religion theme seemed to strike a chord with you. The things that you listed as being overrated (Christian values and In God We Trust) all fell into this category.
                      i listed only "christian values" as being overrated. the rest was elucidation.

as i said about the rolling eyes after "observing" the point at which i entered the fray, so say i about your observation about religion "striking a chord" with me.

Sorry if you took post #21 of mine as being some sort of accusation against you. It wasn't intended that way.
                      if no one's told you, the phrase, "sorry if you took it wrong" is not really an apology; it's a passive-aggressive way of acting as if you are sorry but really think it's the other person's problem. the correct way to apologize, if you really mean it, is to say: "i'm sorry my actions/words/whatever it was irked you," not "i'm sorry if you took it the wrong way."

Secondly, I wasn't singling myself out. To quote myself from #21, Up until then, I think people tried to stick to things that were inoffensive and innocuous for the most part.

Thirdly, if I was being accusatory at those who got into a deep and serious discussion about religion, then I would have been accusing myself.
                      thank you for further demonstrating the original point i was making. the thread never was "angry" nor was there ever a "tempest in a teapot."

And finally, I find it more than a bit ironic to be labelled as an "accuser" and then, in turn, being accused for tooting my own horn.
                      and this is problematic, how? *smirk*

...which leads me to another thing that's overrated in america: not admitting when you're wrong, as if doing so makes them less of a person. i know in hawaii, we say it's a typical behavior of certain cultures (the whole saving face thing with asians). but it's also a corporate behavior in the US, largely bcs of our litigious society.

my work experience has taught me that a well-said apology can smooth over grievances in the business world. it can even have the power to make any thoughts of lawsuit recede because it encourages the injured customer to speak more openly with the company. with continued conversation, the two parties are much more likely to come to a mutually beneficial solution that does not include appearing in court.
                      Last edited by cynsaligia; May 10, 2008, 11:18 AM.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

you rolled your eyes after pointing it out, thereby indicating that you've passed some sort of judgment about it. clearly, you are too spineless to admit what thought laid behind the eye-rolling.
                        Spineless. Your name-calling is duly noted.

i listed only "christian values" as being overrated. the rest was elucidation.
                        Elucidation. But of course, how could I have missed it.

if no one's told you, the phrase, "sorry if you took it wrong" is not really an apology; it's a passive-aggressive way of acting as if you are sorry but really think it's the other person's problem. the correct way to apologize, if you really mean it, is to say: "i'm sorry my actions/words/whatever it was irked you," not "i'm sorry if you took it the wrong way."
                        *sigh!* Well, at least I tried.

You have yourself a good weekend.

Comment

*sigh!* Well, at least I tried.
                          as yoda said, "do, or do not. there is no try."

You have yourself a good weekend.
                          i already am!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Medication. We have medication for stuffy noses to itchy butts.
                            LOL

Don't forget social anxiety!

I love this MadTV spoof of Zoloft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcTHtFpRI0c
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              This thread is very unpatriotic.

I can't contribute to those, as I am not one; but I am an American, and as such, am proud that I live in a nation where I am free to contribute to such a discussion.

It's never unpatriotic to discuss how our nation can improve.

Comment

Constitutional conventions when there is no real issue to address.

Comment

Working...
                                X