Things we can't get here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we can't get here

Ah, what I would give to get the old-style square 'bug zapper" made by Flowtron.

The round "Stinger" models now available on Oahu JUST DON'T WORK! My two Flowtrons got old and died (after 20 years) and now I find out they are no longer available on O`ahu, and the company will not ship individual units from the mainland.

When the termite swarms come they ignore the Stinger, and the electric zap isn't enough to kill them anyway. All my plastic buckets near the equipment are filled with live termites in the morning!

I wish I could get a few Flowtrons.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I can't find Zattarains Gumbo mix (in a box about the size of Kraft Mac and Cheese). I've seen the Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice, but no Gumbo. You brown a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage and at the end throw in a small can of super sweet white corn. That's how I do it anyway. It's easy and it's Killer! Especially when you're not much of a cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        [...]My two Flowtrons got old and died (after 20 years) and now I find out they are no longer available on O`ahu, and the company will not ship individual units from the mainland.[...]
        Check shiptohawaii.com. It sounds like it might be worth it to you to pay the extra shipping charge, esp. if the Flowtrons last so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          Ah, what I would give to get the old-style square 'bug zapper" made by Flowtron.

The round "Stinger" models now available on Oahu JUST DON'T WORK! My two Flowtrons got old and died (after 20 years) and now I find out they are no longer available on O`ahu, and the company will not ship individual units from the mainland.

When the termite swarms come they ignore the Stinger, and the electric zap isn't enough to kill them anyway. All my plastic buckets near the equipment are filled with live termites in the morning!

Try Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Flowtron-BK-40.../dp/B00004R9VW

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
            I can't find Zattarains Gumbo mix (in a box about the size of Kraft Mac and Cheese). I've seen the Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice, but no Gumbo. You brown a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage and at the end throw in a small can of super sweet white corn. That's how I do it anyway. It's easy and it's Killer! Especially when you're not much of a cook.
            I found some of that in the back of my pantry today when I was reorganizing. I'd send it to you if I knew I could get away with it- I don't like Gumbo!

PS- Safe journey, TG!!
            Last edited by surlygirly; June 16, 2009, 06:25 PM. Reason: PS

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

i second the safe trip tidings.

that said, will someone send eric
              and me scotch eggs from portland's horse brass pub and my mom's pancit bihon? can't get either here.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                I found some of that in the back of my pantry today when I was reorganizing. I'd send it to you if I knew I could get away with it- I don't like Gumbo!

PS- Safe journey, TG!!
                Surlygirly, aren't you down in the Lone Star state? You might even be close enough to drive over to New Orleans and have some real Cajun/Creole fare. Aw man, I can taste it now. Jackson Square, dixieland jazz . . .

Comment

Things we can't get here:
                  Verizon FIOS "Triple Freedom" near Washington DC:
                  "FIOS TV Essentials" package with 250 digital channels
                  "FIOS Internet" with 10/2 Mbps max capacity
                  "Verizon phone service" with unlimited U.S. & Canada calls (including Guam and Puerto Rico)

$100/month. "Rates subject to change after first year."

Even my Luddite father-in-law, who can't spell FIOS, surfs the web at 28.8Kbps, and thinks Wal-Mart is the nation's best ISP, is excited. He keeps saying "We're going to get Verizon."

Compare to:
                  Oceanic "standard" analog cable
                  Hawaiian Telcom local land-line phone & DSL
                  $52.80 + $26.53 + $31.24 = $110.57/month.

More money for quite a bit less bandwidth.

Oceanic & HawTel are our 2nd- & 3rd-largest utility bills, right after our $80/month water/sewer bill. So while FIOS bundled service is not a lot of money by itself, it would be a significant percentage savings.

I wonder how hard it would be to string a few islands with fiber...
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

nords' post got me thinking. another thing we can't seem to get here but that i've seen all over in portland, oregon is reverse vending machines and trash cans specifically for bottles and cans.

on a more frivolous note, my list of things we can't get here would have included a number of exclusive beauty products from target had they not opened here. i'm glad victoria's secret is coming to ala mo in the fall.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      nords' post got me thinking. another thing we can't seem to get here but that i've seen all over in portland, oregon is reverse vending machines and trash cans specifically for bottles and cans.
                      Okay you got me, what are reverse vending machines?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        You put a candy bar in and it spits out 75 cents.

Comment

Sweet, I'm gonna go buy a boxload of candy bars from Costco and visit one of these machines.

Comment

Surlygirly, aren't you down in the Lone Star state? You might even be close enough to drive over to New Orleans and have some real Cajun/Creole fare. Aw man, I can taste it now. Jackson Square, dixieland jazz . . .
                            It's a good 10 hour drive, but there are some pretty authentic restaurants up here. And my husband grew up just south of Houston in a little town on the Gulf. When we go to visit the in-laws, that's all he eats.

I wish Hobby Lobby would open a store out there. Ben Franklin's just isn't the same.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Thanks tutusue and peskwe! You made my wishes come true!
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Sweet, I'm gonna go buy a boxload of candy bars from Costco and visit one of these machines.
                                lol...today, HTers are cracking me up within the threads and via PM...

the reverse vending machines i am referring to take empty recyclables and either spit out direct cash payment or a receipt you can take into the store at which said machine is located so the cashier will give you dinero. i don't recall the going rate tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X