• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack Lord: Five-O last name

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Just think if they had!
    Imagine if they were Hispanic and named their son Jesus

Or if the first name had the initial "O" and middle initial "H": O.H. Lord
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      This is actually not true.

The 12th season of Hawaii Five-0 was indeed originally aired on CBS, just as the previous 11 seasons were. The show was never a first-run syndication.

The "McGarrett" series basically consisted of 12th season episodes that were aired on CBS Late Night schedule during the early 1980s, after Hawaii Five-0 had been cancelled. These shows were re-named "McGarrett," so as to differentiate these CBS network reruns from the syndicated Hawaii Five-0 reruns that were already being aired by many stations around the country.

After the show was dropped from the CBS Late Night lineup, the "McGarrett" series basically disappeared into distant memory. The 12th season eps were then incorporated into the syndication packages, with the original Hawaii Five-0 intro restored.

The music and the pictures are all the same. The only thing different is that "McGarrett" appears in front of the opening wave sequence, instead of "Hawaii Five-0."

I don't know why this question pop into my mind on the 12th season. Maybe it's because I just got the 3rd season on DVD.

On the 12th season, they also changed cast too, right? They have all new officers. Lori, Kimo, and Truck.

So in the story, what happened to Danno, Duke, etc, etc. (The old staff). I know Chin Ho died.

Also, how did they wrote off Kono? And Ben? (not sure about this one).

Did I miss anyone else from the old group?

Comment

These days or in recent past when a longtime castmember leaves a show, there often is publicity surrounding the event in print, tv ads, etc. Back then things were done much more lightly, for instance when Dan Blocker died on Bonanza, he was only brifely mentioned in an episode "Forever" directed by Michael Landon. Ben Cartwright gets into an argument with someone and says "I know what it's like to lose a son", they show a picture of Hoss one other time in the show and that was his "farewell" of sorts, very low-key and respectful, but when I watched the reruns of the episode I thought, "gee couldnt they have given him more of a tribute like that. Then I read an interview with Landon and he said the episode "Forever" was supposed to be about Hoss losing the love of his life, they had to change the story to be about Little Joe, it was very hard to do the episode and even continue to work without their friend and colleague so I guess I can understand their feelings. Bonanza left the air a few months after the episode aired.

When James MacArthur left the show in the 11th season, wanting to focus and concentrate on other things, I can't recall if McGarrett mentioned one time about Danno being on vacation or had left the islands and that was it. No farewell of sorts for him either.

Joe Moore told me he was offered the role to replace Danno in the cast and turned it down, feeling that show being on its last legs, well it would have been a job that wouldnt have lasted very long he felt. I think that would have been interesting with him on the show.

When you lose Danno and Chin, strong characters on the show and you've already been on the air 10 or 11 seasons you naturally start to fade a bit as a show. Die-hard fans of the show hate the 12th season with much passion.

Lord was thinking about ending the show around the 10th season, I think in the end it was mutual on the part of Lord and CBS to end the series.

And Jack Lord did have a child, a son, who was killed in an auto accident in the 1950's or 1960's. The child was from another marriage or relationship prior to him knowing Marie Lord, who incidentilly was much older than Jack, by
        15 or 16 years. I believe by the time the Lord's were married she may have been too old to have kids. Most reports having her well into her 90's by the time of death, wikipedia (which can often be wrong because anyone can write or edit it) states she was 100 years old and 2 months at the time of death.

Here's a photo of the couple:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...iejacklord.jpg

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
          On the 12th season, they also changed cast too, right? They have all new officers. Lori, Kimo, and Truck.

So in the story, what happened to Danno, Duke, etc, etc. (The old staff). I know Chin Ho died.
          Herman Wedemeyer (Duke) was still a part of the cast on the show's 12th season.

Danno's character just flat out disappeared, with no explanation given.

Also, how did they wrote off Kono? And Ben? (not sure about this one).

Did I miss anyone else from the old group?
          With the sole exception of Chin Ho, none of the regular/recurring characters were given a send-off, nor was any explanation given for their departure. This would include Jenny (Peggy Ryan), May (Maggi Parker), Che Fong (Harry Endo), Doc (Al Eben), D.A. John Manicote (Glenn Cannon), A.G. Walter Stewart (Morgan "Pogo Poge" White), and H.P.D. Detective Frank Kamana (Doug Mossman).
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Didn't the actor who played the lead of the whole new cast change was the bad guy on the mini-series Rich Man/Poor Man. His character beat up a young Nick Nolte, who became a star with that role.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              These days or in recent past when a longtime castmember leaves a show, there often is publicity surrounding the event in print, tv ads, etc.
              There's a reason for that. Nowadays, many shows have story arcs that carry over through multiple episodes, if not over an entire season. Another trend are shows that end a season on a cliffhanger, with the plot unresolved until the following season begins. Thus, when an actor/actress suddenly decides to leave a show, the writers are compelled to offer up some kind of explanation for why their character is departing. This is the expectation that modern TV audiences now have.

Hawaii Five-0 and most other pre-1980s shows all had episodes where the storylines are self-contained in every episode. Or at the most, have 2 or 3 part episodes. And there was never a season-ending cliffhanger. This is why no plot explanation was essential when Zulu, Al Harrington, and James aleft. The mentality probably was,.... shame those guys are gone. BUT, the show must go on.

When James MacArthur left the show in the 11th season, wanting to focus and concentrate on other things, I can't recall if McGarrett mentioned one time about Danno being on vacation or had left the islands and that was it. No farewell of sorts for him either.
              It all had to do with the timing. If Jim's recollections are correct, he made the decision to leave Hawaii Five-0 sometime after the 11th season and production was in hiatus. This is in contrast to Kam Fong deciding to leave the program while the 10th season was still in production. This gave producers the opportunity to create the memorable farewell episode for Chin Ho Kelly.

Joe Moore told me he was offered the role to replace Danno in the cast and turned it down, feeling that show being on its last legs, well it would have been a job that wouldnt have lasted very long he felt. I think that would have been interesting with him on the show.
              First time I heard of this. Interesting. They actually thought they could replace Jim with a cardboard actor.

But then again, that's pretty much what they did when Al Harrington was forced out and was eventually replaced by Herman Wedemeyer. Don't get me wrong. Herman was a nice guy, but he had nowhere near the screen presence that Al and Zulu had.

Lord was thinking about ending the show around the 10th season, I think in the end it was mutual on the part of Lord and CBS to end the series.
              It was widely reported about 1977 or '78 that Jack Lord would not commit to a long-term contract with CBS, working on a season-to-season basis from that point forward. The speculation was that Jack was beginning to tire of the Steve McGarrett role and that he was ready to leave at anytime, which would essentially pull the plug on Hawaii 5-0. Ironically, it was Kam and James who beat him to the punch!
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                There's a reason for that. Nowadays, many shows have story arcs that carry over through multiple episodes, if not over an entire season. Another trend are shows that end a season on a cliffhanger, with the plot unresolved until the following season begins. Hawaii Five-0 and most other pre-1980s shows all had episodes where the storylines are self-contained in every episode. Or at the most, have 2 or 3 part episodes. And there was never a season-ending cliffhanger. This is why no plot explanation was essential when Zulu, Al Harrington, and James aleft. The mentality probably was,.... shame those guys are gone. BUT, the show must go on.
                GOOD POINT, I THINK THE ERA OF CLIFFHANGERS STARTED WITH SHOWS LIKE DALLAS, DYNASTY, KNOTS LANDING IN THE 1980'S AS YOU POINT OUT.

IN REGARDS TO MACARTHUR'S EXIT, JOE BEING OFFERED A ROLE ON THE SHOW, JOE'S COMMENTS ARE HERE:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...flashback.html

AJ

Comment

IN REGARDS TO MACARTHUR'S EXIT, JOE BEING OFFERED A ROLE ON THE SHOW, JOE'S COMMENTS ARE HERE:
                  Nice article, AJ.

So, JoMo was offered the position of being McGarrett's right-hand man for the 12th season because "Jack Lord took an instant liking" to him, huh? I believe him.

While some very fine episodes were produced during the latter half of the show's 12 year run, the general consensus among many fans is that the quality of the series gradually started going downhill, till things really hit the pits in the final season. There were many factors, but I hold this one to be the key: The death of executive producer Leonard Freeman in 1974.

From that point onwards, Jack Lord effectively took control of the show. This led to many changes on Hawaii Five-0, some of which were not for the better, such as the jettisoning of Al Harrington and the failure to replace him with a sufficiently charismatic local actor.

For a time during the 7th season, it looked like Doug Mossman was being groomed for regular cast status. But no, Jack wanted close personal friend Herman Wedemeyer for that role. And Jack got his way,.... but to the show's long-term detriment.

It was the same for Moe Keale. Moe started off playing bit parts, usually as some criminal tough-guy. He obviously had his limitations as an actor, never looking as comfortable in front of the camera as Zulu and Al did. But because Jack Lord took a liking to Moe, he was rewarded with more prominent guest roles as the years went on. And then finally for season 12, he graduated to the regular cast. But if Jack Lord thought that infusing the cast lineup with new blood would revitalize Hawaii 5-0, I don't think that Moe was the answer.

Comment

Thanks, it was a fun story to write about. A question was asked earlier, about Kimo, believe that was actor William Smith who is still living, as is Sharon Farrell. Gather they are both in their 60's now.

The last couple seasons of 5-0 I remember quite well watching it as a kid, (Ross Martin was a favorite of mine and appeared in several episodes) I was older by then I guess and understood the stories more. I enjoyed watching Barnaby Jones as a kid as well and CBS ended up taking that show off the air too. But Magnum settled in later that year (1980), as the longtime
                    CBS-Hawaii connection continued on for many, many years.

Aj

Comment

One quick question.

Season One - disc 6: The one with McGarrett going to CA to visit his sister.

When he was still at the office giving out job assignments since he need to catch the next flight.

He said to Kono.

"Us Hawaiians got to stick together."

Is McGarrett part native Hawaii in the story line anywhere?

Ok, if he was refering to "Hawaiian" like people from Hawaii, so is Chin-Ho, and Danny. McGarrett never refer them as "Hawaiians."

This comment made me think McGarrett is part-Hawaiian.

Or is this where the writers till don't know which direction they want to take the story.....Like this sister thing is the only mention of McGarrett's private life, in season one.

Comment

He said to Kono.
                        "Us Hawaiians got to stick together."
                        Perhaps that was way back in the days when script writers thought that if you lived in Hawaii you called yourself Hawaiian, as in Californian.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ok, if he was refering to "Hawaiian" like people from Hawaii, so is Chin-Ho, and Danny. McGarrett never refer them as "Hawaiians."

This comment made me think McGarrett is part-Hawaiian.
                          I don't think so.

Throughout the entire series, McGarrett never directly said that he was Hawaiian in an ethnic sense. OTOH, numerous references were made to his Irish heritage. For example, in the 10th season episode Tread The King's Shadow, McGarrett got into an argument with the Governor, to which the latter muttered afterwards, "These Irish,..."

Also in the 12th season ep, Lion In The Streets, a Kahuna placed a kapu curse on McGarrett, during which time the Hawaiians on the Five-0 staff (Duke, Truck, and secretary Luana) could not talk or cooperate with him.

In the season 2 ep, Most Likely To Murder, a Hawn. playboy (played by Lani Kai) was interoggated by McGarrett about a dead woman he was fooling around with, during which he said to McGarrett, "what you Haoles call 'an affair.'"

And so on.

While McGarrett used Hawaiian phrases and it is implied that he spent many years in the islands by the time the series started, there's always been the element in the storyline that McGarrett was an outsider and not always trusted by the locals. This is why he heavily relied on officers like Kono and Ben to get information on the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            Perhaps that was way back in the days when script writers thought that if you lived in Hawaii you called yourself Hawaiian, as in Californian.
                            Sadly, many writers still do. Since it was the first season, perhaps not enough of the senior staff had lived here long enough to realize the error.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              Sadly, many writers still do. Since it was the first season, perhaps not enough of the senior staff had lived here long enough to realize the error.
                              Correct. The part the puzzle me originally was that he did not address Chin-Ho and Danny as "Us Hawaiians." Just Kono.

I just finish this disc (season one disc 6) 2 part with his sister.

As I'm watching the DVDS one by one over time, this is the only episode I see that Jack Lord can act. His emotions sitting in his office after the news about his sister's child's death. Jack Lord (in nearly all Hawaii 5-O episodes) was rather one dimentional. McGarrett cried. I saw "acting."

Comment

Working...
                              X