Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: overpopulation and overdevelopment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Pete Savio, the developer who plans to tear down Puck's Alley, says that he might replace the complex with student dorms to serve the UH campus. Now that doesn't sound half bad...

yer right. It sound ALL bad!

Comment

apropos this subject of overpopulation and overdevelopment....
      Todays' news shows us a main sewer line breaks in Waikiki. So; Hanneman tells us the only thing they can do is empty the raw untreated sewaage into the ala wai. and yes you guessed it. It empties into our Waikiki and Ala Moana, making swimming and surfing suddenly a faint memory, don't touch the water there for a long time. Beseech the gods that they be gentle when they lay waste to us unthinking greedy mortals and the developers and polititians who have created an overdeveloped Waikiki and Honolulu, with its overtaxed infrastructure. (get that unintended pun?)
      It is amazing to see the lack of comprehension, lack of concern and basic apathy on the face of these people on the news when they say: "Hey. we have no choice but to pump millions of gallons of sewage for more than a week into the ala wai. If we didn't, people would have to deal with sewage back up in their homes. So, hey! We are gonna let the environment and sealife worry about it and dump our s#!t into the homes of our local ocean life. whaddo we care? we have no forsight. We have no sense of balance or responsibility. We care not for the fragile ecosystem here.
      Last edited by kimo55; March 28, 2006, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        we have no forsight.
        the sewer pipe that broke was scheduled to be replaced later this year. the abnormal amount of rain we've had is what caused the rupture.

how is that the government's fault?

Comment

Many different elements of Smart-Growth are being suggested in this thread. Building UP, not out, is very important to preserving the land.

But in all this thread, I did not see one person complain about their children or their brothers & sisters.

If you have kids, or came from a family with children, then you are pro-growth by default, or a raving hypocrite.

The trick is to decide what kind of growth we have. I'm for VERY tall buildings, with mixed uses, and mixed unit sizes, in the middle of the densest areas, while the ag and open spaces stay undeveloped.

If you build a very tall building, and somebody's view gets blocked, won't there be 250 people upstairs with a new, better view. That's democracy in action.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Greetings All,

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a native from Hawaii, third generation. I am 1/8 Hawaiian, 1/4 American Indian, and the rest is mixed, German, English, etc.

I came upon this thread while doing a search for some World of Warcraft info. I find it interesting that I stumbled on this board.

I'd like to say a few things about the "haole" bashing, etc that I find so prevelant in a lot of these threads.

I left Hawaii, my family, and friends five years ago. I now live in Thailand and love it. Hawaii is not the paradise it used to be. No offense to the orientals, but the place is owned and governed by the Japanese. I have no problem with this except when a local Japanese looks at me and calls me a "Haole." I had to grow up in Kaneohe and listen to this crap when I attended Heeia Elementary school. Forty percent of the population in Hawaii is Japanese. The Japanese stick together. If you have white skin you are considered a Fxxxing Haole. Excuse me? Japanese are NOT indigenous to Hawaii. They are "local" wannabe's.

I found that the local Japanese have always looked down on white skin people...like the color of the skin REALLY has to do with anything. If the local Hawaiians want to be upset, then focus your anger on the Japanese and NOT the white skin folks. Look up the Hawaiian Translation of the word, "Haole."

Do you think I like all the construction, corruption, racism, etc that exsist in Hawaii? I don't give Flying Fxxx what color the developer's skin is. If he's ruining Hawaii so he can make a profit, then that person is on my shxt list.

Want to know how I feel? Listen to the song "Hawaii 78" by the late Israel Kamakawiwo Ole. Listen and let it sink in. Everytime I listen to it, it brings tears to my eyes. I remember as a kid I used to ride my horse from Haiku Plantations back into Haiku Valley. When I was just nine years ago, I climbed the stairway to heaven. Those days are gone.

Prices of everything have sky-rocketed. Where is the Aloha spirit that once exsisted? As a kid I was spoiled rotten. I come from a very wealthy family. Since I've chosen to live in a third world country for the past five years, I've learned a few things. Don't take things for granted. Don't wait until something is gone before you learn to appreciate it. Never forget how important your family and friends are. The Thai's have this unique bond with their family that I have been unable to see anywhere in the world.

When you live in another country you will learn more about yourself and your country than you would ever have learned by staying in one place.

I long for a Hawaii that no longer exsist. As Israel says in the song. How would the King and Queen feel? How do you feel? The spirits of the King and Queen have seen the Hawaii of today already. Everytime it rains, think of it as the tears of our beloved ancesters weeping for a Hawaii that will never be the same again.

Aloha,

Kulika
            sunpup69@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mooncat
              I found that the local Japanese have always looked down on white skin people...
              Always must be relative. Seems to me that the history of post contact Hawaii is one where the majority of white people looked down on the Japanese imports as well as the Hawaiians. Non-whites were exploited to turn major profits. Was your family's fortune made in Hawaii?
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Aloha,

My father came from a very poor background. His father died when he was only ten years old and his mother deserted him. My father grew up with his grandparents. They lived in half a house off 11th avenue in Kaimuki. There were two things my father did well. He could run fast and play football. This earned him a scholarship to Standford. After finishing college he immediately joined the Air Force where he became a fighter pilot.

When he got out of the service, he started his own distributorship. He only had a few lines, but in time he expanded that business and has become very successful. He sure as hell didn't make it buying and selling land. And as far as Shuler homes goes, I'm fairly certain that the son of the boss is the same Shuler that I went to school with at Punahou.

Yeah, I think the whites also looked down on the Asians. I despise racism in any shape or form. Being called a "fxxxing haole just because my skin is white really bothers me, especially when I'm being called that by a local Asian. This is the kind of thing that I had to grow up with as a child. If I'm a haole because my skin happens to be white, then what are the local Asians who are NOT native to Hawaii? Is there a word for that? No there isn't.

All of my relatives from my father's side share Hawaiian like features. Why? Well, because that's the side of the family where my Hawaiian blood comes from. It just so happens that I inherited most of my appearance from my mother's side.

Do I hate the Asians? Of course not. Some of my best friends in Hawaii are Asian. My point is that there is a lot of "haole" bashing going on, some of it justified and some of it not.

Here in Thailand, the Thais have a word for white skin folks. It's called, "Falang." Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of the word haole. Why? Well, when you say it I want to know what country the white skin person is from. When you say "Haole," Haole from where? For some of the uneducated people out there, not all white skin people are from the same country.

Peace

Mooncat

Comment

I'm surprised you say that because you went to Punahou more people derided your skin color than the fact that you went to an elitist preppy school! The Asians who go to Punahou (I have several cousins who made the cut) tend to be more affiliated with the Caucasian way of thinking. Punahou grads end up going to private colleges like Stanford or Harvard. I would think the derision from kids who didn't go to Punahou wasn't so much about skin color as it was about the privilege of being able to afford a pricey high school education (or the perception of being able to afford such an education).

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My father came from a very poor background. His father died when he was only ten years old and his mother deserted him. My father grew up with his grandparents. They lived in half a house off 11th avenue in Kaimuki. There were two things my father did well. He could run fast and play football. This earned him a scholarship to Standford. After finishing college he immediately joined the Air Force where he became a fighter pilot.
                    OK, you win on the "my dad had it rough" story contest.

When he got out of the service, he started his own distributorship. He only had a few lines, but in time he expanded that business and has become very successful. He sure as hell didn't make it buying and selling land. And as far as Shuler homes goes, I'm fairly certain that the son of the boss is the same Shuler that I went to school with at Punahou.

Yeah, I think the whites also looked down on the Asians. I despise racism in any shape or form. Being called a "fxxxing haole just because my skin is white really bothers me, especially when I'm being called that by a local Asian. This is the kind of thing that I had to grow up with as a child.
                    Like Miulang said... you went to Punahou and you felt discriminated against because you had white skin? Which alternate Hawai'i have you been living in?

If I'm a haole because my skin happens to be white, then what are the local Asians who are NOT native to Hawaii? Is there a word for that? No there isn't.
                    Sure there are.

Pake.
                    Kepani.
                    Kolea.
                    Pilipino.

All of my relatives from my father's side share Hawaiian like features. Why? Well, because that's the side of the family where my Hawaiian blood comes from. It just so happens that I inherited most of my appearance from my mother's side.
                    And...?

Do I hate the Asians? Of course not. Some of my best friends in Hawaii are Asian. My point is that there is a lot of "haole" bashing going on, some of it justified and some of it not.
                    If it's justified, then is it really "bashing"? Or is it legitimate criticism?

Here in Thailand, the Thais have a word for white skin folks. It's called, "Falang." Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of the word haole. Why? Well, when you say it I want to know what country the white skin person is from. When you say "Haole," Haole from where? For some of the uneducated people out there, not all white skin people are from the same country.
                    Uh huh. And when you say Asian, I ask the same thing. Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      how is that the government's fault?
                      oh, gosh. I dunno. just a wild guess...

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4336

Comment

Aloha,

I despise racism in any shape or form. Being called a "fxxxing haole just because my skin is white really bothers me, especially when I'm being called that by a local Asian. This is the kind of thing that I had to grow up with as a child. If I'm a haole because my skin happens to be white, then what are the local Asians who are NOT native to Hawaii? Is there a word for that? No there isn't.

When you say "Haole," Haole from where? For some of the uneducated people out there, not all white skin people are from the same country.
                        Stop making sense!

(/David Byrne)

Comment

Glenn,

Excuse me. Did you go to Punahou? Take a look at it now. The majority of students there ARE Asian. I was referring to my days of education when I grew up in Kaneohe and attended Heeia. You obviously didn't read my post carefully.

When I went to Punahou, everyone had their clicks and groups. By the way, ALL of my family went to Punahou, my mother taught there, and my grand-father and great grand father also went there, so yes, I know very well about the "Punahou" I talk about.

Your reply to the story I shared about my father is just typical of people like you. I take it you are Japanese, yes? You and your kind have always been arrogant. The problem with you and your kind is that you "think" you are locals. You consider white skin folks, foreigners to the land. Let me just say this. My father's ancestors where here when you and your ancestors were still nothing more than sperm in your father's nuts back in Japan, so please, don't even go there.

There is one thing I really admire about the Thais. The comradership they share with each other. That's something people like you don't understand. It's people like you I hate because you mock other Americans who come to Hawaii from the mainland. Why? Oh, that haole from Michigan is wearing shorts with dress shoes.. hah hah hah. Oh look how red he is. hah hah. Listen how he speaks. hah hah hah.. he's too smart to lower himself and succomb to "Pidgeon" English in Hawaii.

That's one of the reasons why I left Hawaii. Hawaii feels it's "separate" from the rest of the American country. I'm also sick of all the influx of Koreans who have managed to migrate to Hawaii and open up GoGo bars and Korean bars in throwing distance of elementary schools.

Let me ask you this, "Glenn." Have you ever lived in another country? Try it some time. You will learn more about yourself and your country than you ever would have sitting in one place. Try it sometime. You may learn someting.

Peace,

Kulika

Comment

Kulika:
                            I'm glad you live in Thailand where things seem so much better for you because you earn way more than the locals do.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that Asians, Caucasians and the people from other countries who settled in Hawai'i after the kanaka maoli are foreigners. Hawai'i always has been and will always be "different" from the Mainland for many reasons.

You said one of the reasons you moved to Thailand was because you hated the way the locals in Hawai'i talked about tourists behind their backs. What makes you so sure the Thai people don't dislike white faces in their country, too? Just because they are polite to your face doesn't necessarily mean that they don't laugh and point at you when you're not looking. Why do the French dislike Americans so much?

Usually when someone "hates" another person it's because he sees something in the other person that he doesn't like about his own self. You should be putting your Punahou education to better use than to spew venom; it cheapens your education.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; April 4, 2006, 08:15 AM.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You and your kind have always been arrogant... My father's ancestors where here when you and your ancestors were still nothing more than sperm in your father's nuts back in Japan, so please, don't even go there... I'm also sick of all the influx of Koreans who have managed to migrate to Hawaii and open up GoGo bars and Korean bars in throwing distance of elementary schools.
                              Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't go to Punahou.

Comment

To all my Punahou friends: I don't hold you responsible for Mooncat.

Comment

Working...
                                X