Graffitti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Graffitti

I saw some responses regarding graffitti "perpetuating hip-hop culture", and hip-hop being married to sports, etc. Just some questions it brings to mind:

1) What is wrong with perpetuating hip-hop?

2) How is hip-hop's ties to sports (particularly basketball) detrimental to the game and youth?

Keep in mind that hip-hop is a full-fledged culture--no longer a subculture. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, hip-hop is intrinsically created. Rap is a social construction. What you see portrayed in the media as hip-hop is actually rap. hmm...I think I should start a completely new thread on this, because I could go on fo' dayz with this.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
      I saw some responses regarding graffitti "perpetuating hip-hop culture", and hip-hop being married to sports, etc. Just some questions it brings to mind:

1) What is wrong with perpetuating hip-hop?

2) How is hip-hop's ties to sports (particularly basketball) detrimental to the game and youth?

Keep in mind that hip-hop is a full-fledged culture--no longer a subculture. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, hip-hop is intrinsically created. Rap is a social construction. What you see portrayed in the media as hip-hop is actually rap. hmm...I think I should start a completely new thread on this, because I could go on fo' dayz with this.
      Hip hop should be concerned with perpetuating Rock and Roll. Otherwise they'll run out of actual music to steal.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I feel ya mike!!! We've seen the hip-hop scene here in indiana grow insanely over the last 5 years. It's pretty funny when you see graff writing hitting the mainstream media (ecko's video game, commercials, etc.).

As far as graf writing goes, I've been hitting up Skribble Jam for the past couple of years and the walls have been insane!!!! Each year it's been getting better!!!
        "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
          Hip hop should be concerned with perpetuating Rock and Roll. Otherwise they'll run out of actual music to steal.
          Oh, because Rock and/or Roll didn't steal elements from jazz, bluegrass, blues, R&B, or gospel? No form of music is born out of itself. Music is alive...it takes features from its "parents", evolves, and matures throughout the years.

Besides...sampling (or as nay-sayers call it, "stealing) is an art in itself. College music departments across the country teach it as a course.
          Last edited by Mike_Lowery; September 28, 2006, 12:55 PM.

flickr

Comment

Graffitti is a crime...and we will all pay for it in the long run...

Just look at the UH Logs for this week alone...
            9/21 = 1:44 p.m. — The Magoon Facility staff reported finding graffiti within the vicinity.
            9/25 12:40 a.m. — Graffiti was found on the kiosk located between the Physical Science Building and Keller Hall.
            9/26 = 12:05 a.m. — Graffiti was found on the first floor of Moore Hall.
            1:01 a.m. — A guard reported seeing three men vandalizing the National Marine Fisheries Service building. One of the men threw the paint can near the Watanabe building.
            4:17 a.m. — Campus Security reported finding graffiti on the first-floor corridor of the HIG building.
            http://www.kaleo.org/vnews/display.v.../451b767b46a8a

Comment

What up, manoa?! Hope you're doing great

Haha...I remember seeing those in the Ka Leo security reports. Graff was in just as much as skaters.

Off-topic: remember a few years ago, the Ka Leo had catchy, rhyming headlines for the security report? Example of my favorite: "Skaters, Defecator, and a Masturbator"

flickr

Comment

I really don't mind tagging/taggers to some extent--it's when they vandalize particular buildings (such as churches, museums, schools, etc.) or objects (road signs, headstones, etc.). Tagging adds personality to some things and places, like subway trains and skate parks.

BTW, who's "phyto!" ?
                You are absolutely wrong. It is criminal property damage. It is unwelcome, unattractive, and un-local. You'd probably feel differently if you've had such "personality" involuntarily added to your property dozens of times in the past few years as I have.

Who is Pyhto? Simple, a criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff
                  You are absolutely wrong. It is criminal property damage. It is unwelcome, unattractive, and un-local. You'd probably feel differently if you've had such "personality" involuntarily added to your property dozens of times in the past few years as I have.

Who is Pyhto? Simple, a criminal.
                  Meh. My point is that the law defines it as criminal property damage because someone with views similar to yours put it into law. Imagine if someone like me said graffitti is welcome. coulda been a different world.

To each his own on what is attractive or "local".

flickr

Comment

Meh. My point is that the law defines it as criminal property damage because someone with views similar to yours put it into law. Imagine if someone like me said graffitti is welcome. coulda been a different world.

To each his own on what is attractive or "local".
                    Well, if you feel graffiti is welcome, plant a sign on your front lawn or your car and stand by applauding when someone comes by with a spray can and decorates your property with their "art."

Oh, and you can't tell them to stop if the "art" is not to your liking or you feel they've taken things a bit too far. No fair!

Graffiti is just a selfish display of territorialism. Kinda like a cat spraying the corner of the sofa.

It's not an expression of artistic talent, it's an expression of disrespect and arrogance. Vandalism, criminal destruction of property.

Brilliant!

Comment

the more you try to stop us the more we will make your heaven look like our neighborhood.

I'll let Phyto know of your guy's appreciation of his wonderful work!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo's Bruddah
                        the more you try to stop us the more we will make your heaven look like our neighborhood.

I'll let Phyto know of your guy's appreciation of his wonderful work!

Trollin' trollin trollin...

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff
                          Trollin' trollin trollin...
                          Yep. Das wat he doing. Block his IP Admin before he disrupts the boards!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I like that wall at the corner of Young and Piikoi. It's on the backside of the restaurant.
                            The lettering is nicely done and the girl's face is stunning. I think Graffitti is cool and adds character when it's done well.
                            If it's just stupid scribbles... then it's just stupid period.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                              I like that wall at the corner of Young and Piikoi. It's on the backside of the restaurant.
                              The lettering is nicely done and the girl's face is stunning. I think Graffitti is cool and adds character when it's done well.
                              Go back to your corner!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                                We have a local program that hires the taggers they catch and trains them to paint and they do murals as community service where business's ask. Apparently other taggers respect it because it is rare to see them defaced again. and the business's don't have to keep painting plus they have a pretty picture to grab you eye to their business.
                                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                                Sharing withother survivors...
                                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                                X