Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Graffitti

Originally posted by blueyecicle
    We have a local program that hires the taggers they catch and trains them to paint and they do murals as community service where business's ask. Apparently other taggers respect it because it is rare to see them defaced again. and the business's don't have to keep painting plus they have a pretty picture to grab you eye to their business.
    This is the first constructive pro-tagger comment posted on this thread. Is someone lobbying the city to get behind this program?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

My high school art teacher asked some taggers to tag our schools name on the side of the P.E. building, looks pretty solid~still there too, its been about 9years now.

They then opened up a shop~tagged the entire store, plus they tagged the hallway...then the outside of the store...then they got tagged wit' a lawsuit.

Its addicting, i guess
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
        I do like some of the artwork! Of course there's the scribblings, but there's also some beautiful paintings. I wish that the artists could get it onto "sellable" canvases. When I was in Berkeley, CA. The Graffitti artists were allowed to paint on the underside walls of an overpass. After some time it would get painted over and then another artist would go at it. I loved seeing the different styles and it was kind of a competition that brought out the 'Best' work.
        Eh Tunnel! Der was dis one from befor' too!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW
          My high school art teacher asked some taggers to tag our schools name on the side of the P.E. building
          KaYaCraVeR, let’s not confuse tagging with sanctioned block grafitti. Stop lurking. You still haven’t answered the question about the U-down sticker on the University Avenue sign, so I ask you for the second time: What was brilliant about it?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

continued from the other closed graff thread:

A young friend of mine, who is a graffiti-creating enthusiast, explained the mystery of the white. (I never saw a white pen.) Evidently, you buy a large felt-tip pin, flush it out and fill it with that office "white-out" stuff. Dries very fast, that, so the pen must not last very long.
            I think thats a 'mean streak' a pen that is filled with a soft plastic like resin. You can buy it in art stores.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              Oh, because Rock and/or Roll didn't steal elements from jazz, bluegrass, blues, R&B, or gospel? No form of music is born out of itself. Music is alive...it takes features from its "parents", evolves, and matures throughout the years.

Besides...sampling (or as nay-sayers call it, "stealing) is an art in itself. College music departments across the country teach it as a course.
              I'm a fan of hip hop.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                Yep. Das wat he doing. Block his IP Admin before he disrupts the boards!

Auntie Lynn
                so much for free speech! ironic don't ya think... then you wonder why we have people going and spray painting property just to get their voice heard.

a "forum" as you call it but yet when I make my contribution/statement I get the threat of my IP being blocked. That isn't a forum.. that is censorship.

things that make you go hmmmm.....

My other "disrupting" statements regarding graffiti:

Thank the media for making this art form the epidemic it is today. When you can truly answer the question of "why" these kids are doing it then you potentially can have a solution to the so called problem. Until then WE will win. Brute force tactics only cause even more retalliation and inertia. Hate it, love it.. it is an art.

And you "cast the first stoners" ... just wait til my graffiti influences your kid to do it.. I'll be right there in your face reminding you of your ignorant convinctions.
                (shame on you!)

To the open minded ones supporting our art:
                The revolution is near.... raise up my warriors and fight this system that has been made to enslave us. Don't let these right-wing, captialist-driven conservatives tell you who you are and what you can and cannot do!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo's Bruddah View Post
                  so much for free speech!
                  Just so's you're clear on it --- HT is a moderated forum, not a free-form usenet group. There are administrators who have the power to edit us, chide us, ban us, whatever - a power that they use very rarely and selectively, from what I have seen. (Instead, they seem to prefer giving us warnings and opportunities to police ourselves first.)

If we don't like the rules of this online sandbox, we are welcome to go play elsewhere. If we don't like certain social rules, we can work constructively to change them. As a number of people have noted, while they may not like un-invited graffiti (as in "on proprty that does not belong to the graffitist), they can recognize the artistic merit of some of it and agree that there ought to be sanctioned places and opportunities for these artists to create and display. KB: what do you think about working with cities to find and develop such opportunities?

Comment

a "forum" as you call it but yet when I make my contribution/statement I get the threat of my IP being blocked. That isn't a forum.. that is censorship.
                    If you haven't noticed, you weren't banned.

You could be, and "free speech" here only extends as far as your hosts care to provide for it (as this is a website, and not a sidewalk), but quite obviously you've so far remained welcome to participate. As mad as 1stwahine is, the only authority she has is handing out is her trademark whacks.

Personally I welcome a dissenting view, and if you actually read this thread, you'll see there are other fans of graffiti here. You may be in the minority, but that's not going to get you banned. Engage us, enlighten us, debate with us, and resist the temptation to attack us, bait us, or belittle us, and this forum may not turn out to be as awful as you seem to think.

Comment

What in the hell are they teaching kids in school these days?

Get a dictionary. Use it. Read the relevant parts of the U.S. Constitution. Then come back and apologize to the administrator for falsely accusing him of "censorship."

Hint: Only the government can censor. Not private forums, not newspapers, not CNN, not private schools, not private employers.

You are welcome to start your own online forum. The U.S. government is fine with that. Therefore, you are not being "censored."

You're welcome.

"The revolution is near.... raise up my warriors and fight this system that has been made to enslave us. Don't let these right-wing, captialist-driven conservatives tell you who you are and what you can and cannot do!"

ROTFL. Yeah, right. You're a real revolutionary.

Suggestion: Get over yourself.
                      Last edited by MadAzza; October 2, 2006, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                        What in the hell are they teaching kids in school these days?

Get a dictionary. Use it. Read the relevant parts of the U.S. Constitution. Then come back and apologize to the administrator for falsely accusing him of "censorship."

Hint: Only the government can censor. Not private forums, not newspapers, not CNN, not private schools, not private employers.

You are welcome to start your own online forum. The U.S. government is fine with that. Therefore, you are not being "censored."
                        Censorship is defined in the dictionary as "the pracice of officially examining books, movies, etc, and supressing unacceptable parts"

HINT: you should read the dictionary before you make a response like that. (typical haole mindset)

FYI: I do have my own online forum!

But since I saw such ignant like comments I decided to voice my opinion here.

Suggestion: Thank you for your lame attempt at making a mockery of my point. Sorry but nice try (E for effort)... Get a life!

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        If you haven't noticed, you weren't banned.

You could be, and "free speech" here only extends as far as your hosts care to provide for it (as this is a website, and not a sidewalk), but quite obviously you've so far remained welcome to participate. As mad as 1stwahine is, the only authority she has is handing out is her trademark whacks.

Personally I welcome a dissenting view, and if you actually read this thread, you'll see there are other fans of graffiti here. You may be in the minority, but that's not going to get you banned. Engage us, enlighten us, debate with us, and resist the temptation to attack us, bait us, or belittle us, and this forum may not turn out to be as awful as you seem to think.
                        Yes I understand I wasn't banned... YET.... but the this type of threat seems ever so popular on the internet when people go against the grain. They like to call it moderation... RULES... whatevers.. but really its suppression.

Yeah I ACTUALLY read this thread.. and noticed the fans of graffiti hence my statement: "To the open minded ones supporting our art movement..."

I'm sorry if you guys take my statements as attacks, belittling, etc. Please resist the temptation to attack my comments and really try to stick to the topic at hand: GRAFFITI... and I'm sorry if I take your guy's statement as attacks, belittling, and most of all, REDUNDANT! LOL

Now back to ACTUALLY debating the topic at hand: Graffiti in Hawai'i
                        (wow what a concept)

Comment

Censorship is defined in the dictionary as "the pracice of officially examining books, movies, etc, and supressing unacceptable parts"
                          What dictionary did you get that quote from (complete with poor spelling).

Anyway the whole point of graffitti is where the heck you're gonna put the stuff. On your property is okay since it's all the free speech stuff, but when it's on some one elses property or public property then it's a crime. And criminals are not welcomed in any society. So if graffitti artists want to separate themselves from the criminals known as taggers, then they should voice their concerns and really help society get rid of taggers who really are giving graffitti artists a bad rap.

So what is Phyto? The fact that his tagging is all over Moilili on public and not his private property, that makes him a simple criminal and should be treated as one, not as some rebel with a cause.

The last guy I caught tagging my property back in Waialae Nui got his face dripping wet with paint from the same can of aerosol he used to tag seven cars and a couple of homes along my block. You tag me I tag you. So stop it already.

You want to make a statement then do it like Wyland did and make your artwork respectable, not a form of vandalism.

If you want graffitti to be respected then stay away from the likes of Phyto who seems to love marking up other people's property.

Granted, I've seen some remarkable tagging, but I wish these buggahs would do it on a wall where they had permission to do it.

That is fair isn't it?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Is it really art if no one is willing to pay for it?
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                              Is it really art if no one is willing to pay for it?
                              I surely hope that this isn't your defining criteria for "art." Hell, artists are known for choosing what they do over a paycheck, for better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Just so's you're clear on it --- HT is a moderated forum, not a free-form usenet group. There are administrators who have the power to edit us, chide us, ban us, whatever - a power that they use very rarely and selectively, from what I have seen. (Instead, they seem to prefer giving us warnings and opportunities to police ourselves first.)

If we don't like the rules of this online sandbox, we are welcome to go play elsewhere. If we don't like certain social rules, we can work constructively to change them.
                                Mahalo for taking the time to bless us with such profound enlightenment but I think we all are able to read the "please read first" thread! (points for stating the obvious!)

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                As a number of people have noted, while they may not like un-invited graffiti (as in "on proprty that does not belong to the graffitist), they can recognize the artistic merit of some of it and agree that there ought to be sanctioned places and opportunities for these artists to create and display. KB: what do you think about working with cities to find and develop such opportunities?
                                depends... what do you mean by "working with cities" and "opportunities"?

Comment

Working...
                                X