Hawaii wrestling stars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii wrestling stars...

Sammy Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka. I used to love the Civic Arena. Hey, remember roller derby? I remember this guy named Trotter. Off topic but what the hay anyway.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

All right. Wrestling. Here's what I want to know.

I guess Hawaii had a good history with wrestling, but I don't hear much about it today. Further, I hear a lot about kickboxing and other "extreme martial arts" that strike me as more cruel spectacle than sport. Has wrestling's day just passed, and other, "flashier" stuff taken the space and the limelight? Or are there still serious wrestling folks and leagues and events that are just flying under the radar?
      Originally posted by kimo55

ok... stay on topic... ok.. umm. Hey! where ARE your cartoon faces in your message?! Don't come around here unless you use cartoons!
      Hmmm. A legitimate question posed in Kimo's thread, which he conveniently sidesteps due to da inquirer's lack of posting smiley faces, after he just got through telling me to take my smiley faces elsewhere? I didn't know they had Internet access at da Kaneohe Red Roof Inn.

Like disco music of da 70's, I think "50th State Wrestling" of da early 60's had its day. Those were da early days of television in Hawai'i and therefore all da different good guy-bad guy wrestling characters we used to watch were our earlier, local versions of superheroes...with those with da more extreme personas being da ones we liked da most. Among those characters were Curtis Iaukea, Johnny Barend, Ripper Collins, Beauregarde, Neff Maiava, Peter Maivia, Chief Billy Whitewolf, Gentleman Jim Hady, The Missing Link, The Masked Executioner, Tosh Togo, Fuji Fujiwara, Tor Kamaka, Nick Bockwinkle, Sammy Steamboat, Ed Francis, Lord Tallyho Blears and da list goes on. Those wrestlers drew huge crowds at da old Civic Auditorium back in da day. Was all really good fun too. I think today's extreme martial arts is now being welcomed and accepted mainly due to us being desensitized to violence from being exposed to it so much through da media, da same way young kids nowdays have become desensitized to violence and profanity through their choice of media which includes all da profanity and violent lyrics contained in Gangsta Rap music.

Comment

Eh! Aren't you supposeta be "da Lurkah"? Or is dat jus' your wrestling name?

Comment

Originally posted by KimosWahine
          Nah, dis Lurkah not one wrestling guy, he just one extremely akamai guy who has lethal futs (no get 'em started on dat, though )

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KimosWahine

Eh Kimo! I'm used to guys sending their mokes aftah me, but not their titas! Nah tita, how you wen find me out? I used to wrestle back in da day, but never appeared on TV because I was da 90-pound weakling dem buggahs used to stuff in da locker during those violent locker-room interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Nah, dis Lurkah not one wrestling guy, he just one extremely akamai guy who has lethal futs (no get 'em started on dat, though )
              Eh Miulang!! NO ACK EH!! Or you and me going end up wrestling in da mud pit!!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                Among those characters were Curtis Iaukea, Johnny Barend, Ripper Collins, Beauregarde, Neff Maiava, Peter Maivia, Chief Billy Whitewolf, Gentleman Jim Hady, The Missing Link, The Masked Executioner, Tosh Togo, Fuji Fujiwara, Tor Kamaka, Nick Bockwinkle, Sammy Steamboat, Ed Francis, Lord Tallyho Blears and da list goes on.
                Thanks for venturing an answer, Lurkah. So, just so I understand what's being described here... this is "wrestling" as in WWE, Hulk Hogan, Chyna, spectacle and cartoon characters with pecs, not school kine with mats and helmets and the like?

Would you say there's no connection between the Golden Age of Hawaii wrestling and today's kickboxing/jiu jitsu/whackadoodlefest events? What I've seen on TV looks, in its own way, just as goofy -- only, I don't think the people involved think it's funny.

Comment

Thanks so much for going down the list of wrestlers names. Brought back plenty kine memories.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Eh Miulang!! NO ACK EH!! Or you and me going end up wrestling in da mud pit!!
                    Jess wait until September in LV, bruddah. What happens there NOT going stay there because dis year, I going be one witness!

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Like disco music of da 70's, I think "50th State Wrestling" of da early 60's had its day.
                      and the "day" covered the 60's to the early 70's. a long day.
                      Curtis Iaukea, Johnny Barend, Ripper Collins, Beauregarde, Neff Maiava, Peter Maivia, Chief Billy Whitewolf, Gentleman Jim Hady, The Missing Link, The Masked Executioner, Tosh Togo, Fuji Fujiwara, Tor Kamaka, Nick Bockwinkle, Sammy Steamboat, Ed Francis, Lord Tallyho Blears...
                      The Collector's show will feature all these (with their full stage names) and many others well known and maybe not so well known.

Pics, video, etc...

Comment

Eh Kimo! I'm used to guys sending their mokes aftah me, but not their titas!

and the tradition remains unbroken;
                        who said I sent my tita aftah you?!

I am my own moke who knows how fo t'row blows.
                        Make no mistake; if and when da tita go aftah you, it will be on her insistence, and not by my provocation.
                        Here, you are mistaken. so solly, cholly.
                        Last edited by kimo55; July 16, 2005, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Thanks for venturing an answer, Lurkah. So, just so I understand what's being described here... this is "wrestling" as in WWE, Hulk Hogan, Chyna, spectacle and cartoon characters with pecs, not school kine with mats and helmets and the like?

Exactly. But, what was scary to me back then and still scares me today is how so many of the fans actually believe that all the shibai drama that goes on between the wrestlers is really true, with my own grandma being one of them! Was so funny watching her get all excited watching it on TV. On TV you would maybe see Johnny Barend and Ripper Collins trying to put each other's lights out, but then later on I might see both of them together eating and drinking beer at a restaurant someplace like best buddies.

Would you say there's no connection between the Golden Age of Hawaii wrestling and today's kickboxing/jiu jitsu/whackadoodlefest events? What I've seen on TV looks, in its own way, just as goofy -- only, I don't think the people involved think it's funny.
                          Nah, I don't think there's any connection. That "Golden Age" might be pau, but never forgotten by those of us who were around back then.

Anybody else remember Biddy Boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

I am my own moke who knows how fo t'row blows.
                            And a tantaran moke at that, too. But I bet you really one softie in person. Why else would KimosWahine spend her time "picking up after Kimo55"?

Comment

dayum, ya got me figgahd out.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Jess wait until September in LV, bruddah. What happens there NOT going stay there because dis year, I going be one witness!
                                Kden I going tell you dis in advance den...

BLABBAHMOUT!!

Comment

Working...
                                X