Hawaii wrestling stars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii wrestling stars...
    Nice story about Curtis "Da Bull" Iaukea in this morning's Honolulu Star Bulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
      Neff Maiava was always one of the "good guys". I still remember when Gene Kinninski bet Neff ....
      not to put too fine a point on it but it's:
      "Gene Kiniski"

Comment

hey moto, wasn't going to read this thread but decided to read the last couple of posts and was surprised to read about the whole "can't be hung up by your hair/check thing". was that for real or was it a stunt?

damn, the guy deserves to be really kicked if he gave a check that bounced.

and to lei kaina, wow, that's cool. i vaguely remember seeing him and his wild hair way back when....
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Actually, it was Kiniski (thanks for the correct spelling Kimo) that both gave the bad check and did the kicking. Yes, Neff Maiava did get hoisted by his hair on television.
          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

What a wonderful little interview and follow up on Curtis "Da Bull" Iaukea, and how wonderful that he's working hard to help raise money and awareness about Alzheimer's. According to the story, he has been diagnosed with some kind of dementia, too, which makes this story all the more poignant. It's also nice to know that many of the stars back then are still alive and doing well in their retirement.

Even though I don't like today's wrestling, small kid time, 50th State Wrestling was one of my favorite shows.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; July 24, 2005, 03:49 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Nice to see the Advertiser finally got around to covering this... the Star-Bulletin had a story about Iaukea in Thursday's paper, and MidWeek the Weekend did a cover story about him on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                Nice to see the Advertiser finally got around to covering this... the Star-Bulletin had a story about Iaukea in Thursday's paper, and MidWeek the Weekend did a cover story about him on Friday.
                Yeh, the Agonizer a day late and a dollar short, as usual. If they had really wanted to help raise money to combat disease they would have run the story before the event instead of after it. What good does that do?

Wally Tetsumi also used to manage the Civic during concerts. He'd run us kids out if the bands played too late.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                  Yeh, the Agonizer a day late and a dollar short, as usual. If they had really wanted to help raise money to combat disease they would have run the story before the event instead of after it. What good does that do?.
                  Heh. Better late than late, I say! And what struck me about the Advertiser's story v. the StarBulletin's (I haven't seen the Midweek story) is that the Advertiser's version reveals the reason why Da Bull came out to do this benefit. In the SB story, it just says he wanted to get involved in Alzheimer awareness because every family in Hawai'i is affected by it (which is probably true), but the Advertiser disclosed that Da Bull himself is suffering from early stage dementia (may turn out not be Alzheimer's but may be a similar condition which causes devastating memory loss nontheless). I wish the guy well. His mere celebrity and people knowing he's also among the afflicted (like Michael Fox, Annette Funicello, Mary Tyler Moore, Steve Reeves) will probably help the Alzheimer Foundation in Hawai'i raise more money, even though the show is pau. And for all we know, he might be planning to do more personal appearances in Hawai'i on behalf of Alzheimer's awareness.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

That wuz good fun day wen had all dem guys wrestling. Me, my Dad and bruddahs, stuck to the t.v. When they would come to Maui fo wrestle,
                    only good kind action use to have. I still remember Iaukea Ripper Collins was
                    partners with TOSH TOGO...Remember him.

OGGBOY
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Check out the footage from a new DVD our production studios will release soon.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0Otxbvn4Y
                      50th State of Hawaii Wrestling from the Civic Auditorium and the TV Studios in the 60's and 70's. This is a small excerpt from the Old Time Hawaii Wrestling DVD, soon to be released. Has footage of the wrestlers entering the ring with all their colorful theatrics, Blears interviews of many characters, wrestlers getting into a fight (imagine that) and chasing each other outta the ring... Featuring Handsome Johnny Barend. Pedro Morales. Gene Kiniski. Ripper Collins. Lord Tally Ho Blears. Kenji Shibuya. Mitsu Arakawa. Cyclone Negra. Spiros Arion. Jim Hady, Billy White Wolf, Missing Link. Blears interviews Graham and other wrestlers. Peter Maivia vs Harry Fujiwara, Maivia vs Pat Barrett, Billy White Wolf vs Crazy Luke Graham. King Ripper Collins in action. Nick Bockwinkel vs Pat Patterson. From archival footage shot at the Civic, Studios and World's Championship Match at the HIC. This of course is what started it all. The precurser to the HCW, now once again, growing into a major sports attraction, we see a huge renewal of interest in this fascinating action packed sports phenom for the whole family. And that's something we don't see much of anymore nowadays.
                      Last edited by kimo55; June 17, 2006, 11:40 AM.

Comment

...and wrestling continues to be in the news!

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...606210340/1001

Comment

Working...
                        X