Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5 Questions: The Last Time

Originally posted by MadAzza
    So you answered the others DIShonestly? hee!

You didn't even cry during that scene in Dumbo where they are taking his mommy away, and he and his mommy have their trunks entwined, and little Dumbo doesn't understand why his mommy is going off to prison, and the mean, bad people pull them apart, and their trunks slowly untwine, but they try to keep touching until the last possible second, and then little Dumbo is left alone without his mommy ... sniff ... sniff ... Waaaaaah!!!
    Well, MadAzza, you got me there. Let me assure you, the other 4 were answered honestly!

As for Dumbo, I never saw it. Isn't that a Disney animated flick? I never saw Bambi, Snow White, and most other Disney flicks. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I ever saw a Disney animated flick. We old farmboys from Ka'u didn't have too much down there, entertainment-wise, back in hanabata small-kid time.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Answer these nonthreatening questions as vaguely, as specifically, as concisely, or as verbosely as you'd like, but let us know:
      1. When were you most recently given a flower lei?
      2. When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?
      3. When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?
      4. When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?
      5. When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?
      1.I was never given one altho I have a favorite flower out here. The Plumiria. I love the way it smells.
      2.When I bought a white dress that was a couple sizes too small and thought i would fit in it as soon as I got out here four months ago. LOL It still dosnt fit!
      3.Hmm thats a hard one. Well the last time I went it was to take my sisters fiance to the hospital for alcohol poisioning. Back in January.
      4.This past weekend. I tend to stay in my fiances room during the weekend.
      5. ER, in the episode that one of the OB doctors had to deliver a premmie. It was a little boy and almost as small as my hand...I was bawling my eyeballs out when he stopped breathing, nearly twentyfour hours after he was born. *rubs eyes* Aw man...now I am thinking on it
      Last edited by CrystalxDragon; July 19, 2005, 06:54 PM. Reason: EH messed up on the formatting.
      Me, myself and I. We have to stop arguing like this. Its going to tear me and me and me apart!

Comment

[*]When were you most recently given a flower lei?

> January 2005
        [*]When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?

> Can't remember. I'm satisfied with my recent purchases.
        [*]When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?

> October 2004
        [*]When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?

> May 2005
        [*]When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?

> Probably in 1991, maybe 1998.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          [*]
          [*]When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?

> Probably in 1991, maybe 1998.

geez mel! Ya think? Come on! DETAILS!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
            Question 5 answer: I going to answer this honestly: I have never cried over any movie, TV show, or book.
            Not even when, in Rudy, Rudy is told he can't be on the Notre Dame football team's roster because they've got the limit, the starting quarterback enters the coach's office and says it's not right for Rudy to be left off the team, so he says Rudy can have his spot and then he throws his jersey down on the desk and leaves, only to be followed by an unending line of team-mates, all bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than Rudy, each of whom drops his jersey on the coach's desk, saying only the words, "For Rudy," and then, and then . . . sniff . . . sniff . . . waaaah! ?
            Last edited by scrivener; July 19, 2005, 09:34 PM. Reason: Don't know why I'm surviving every lonely day, when there's got to be no chance for me . . .
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Answer these nonthreatening questions as vaguely, as specifically, as concisely, or as verbosely as you'd like, but let us know:
              Well as the original poster stated, you can be as vague or as specific as you want. I chose vagueness. These are supposed to be nonthreatening questions.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

These are supposed to be nonthreatening questions.
                That's right, brah. Men aren't supposed to cry or lose control, right?
                "When I moved from Ohio to Arkansas, I considered it a blessing. After living up north all of my life, I was ready for a change. My house had burned down, my husband left me after fourteen years, and my very existence had disappeared into a black hole. Moving to Arkansas, nearer my ailing mother, seemed to be a great idea. I had nothing to lose. However, I was not prepared for the gifts I was about to receive.

I was very grateful to land a job right away at a Christian hospital, working on surgery floors. Then one day I was sent up to oncology. I protested to deaf ears. You will work where you are needed, they told me. I thought it was dreadful. I could feel death everywhere, and my heart felt so heavy. Day after day, I was sent to the cancer floor.

To my amazement, after awhile I began to "need" to work on that floor. One day, I stood among my "babies" and realized that God had sent me here. This was my home. My patients were no longer room numbers - they had faces and names. I knew what they liked to eat, how many children they had, at what job they had spent most of their life working and how they felt about their cancer.

As with many nurses, I became close to these very special patients. I loved each and every one of them. At times, it was difficult keeping my emotions in check.

One day, a patient named Billy came to the floor. He was a large man with bone cancer and a great sense of humor. Though he was in great pain, he rarely complained. His loving wife watched over him with the greatest love one can imagine and made certain he received the best care. We all laughed and cried together, and shared family stories and jokes. They became part of our hospital family.

After coming in for chemo treatments and going back home several times, Billy's energy was spent. The last time he was admitted, he looked beaten. So did his wife. He was suffering so much that it was hard for all of us to care for him - we knew there was nothing much we could do. He was now terminal, and his pain so intense that no amount of medicine helped. I think every nurse cried for Billy and his family.

It was nearing Easter, and Billy had so many visitors it was hard for his wife to have any time alone with him. I felt so sorry for her. But she kept smiling.

One night, near the end of my shift, I made my last trip down the hallway and peeked in on Billy. I opened the door to his room very slowly so I wouldn't wake him. The light from the hall shone into the room and lit it up like moonlight. I looked towards the bed and a little gasp escaped from my mouth. There was Billy, lying on his back, the position I knew was most painful for him. Next to him lay his wife, nestled in the pit of his arm, all curled up like a baby deer next to its mother. She was sleeping so soundly, I could hear little whistles coming from her mouth. I stood there, like an intruder. My feet would not move. As I tried to leave, Billy opened his eyes. He smiled a crooked smile and winked at me as if to say, "It's okay."

I closed the door, walked up the now empty hallway, and went to the chapel. I cried a few minutes then thanked God for blessing me with this very special moment.

Billy died soon after that night, but not before he gave me new eyes and a special good-bye gift."

Comment

When were you most recently given a flower lei?
                  Probably when my in-laws visited. Simple yellow plumeria lei that scented their hotel room for their entire stay.
                  When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?
                  Hmm. Has to be geek related for me. I paid big bucks for some voice recognition software, thinking it could transcribe some audio files. It couldn't. I kept it thinking I'd find a use for it. I didn't. (Anyone want to buy an almost-new copy of the pro edition of Dragon NaturallySpeaking? Came with a headset, I think!)
                  When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?
                  Last night. Deep, warm chest pain. Turns out to have been a stress-related varicella-zoster outbreak. Not fun.
                  When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?
                  Several times a month I end up in my son's bed (after all my kids end up in our bed). Does that count? If not, probably our last trip to Hilo.
                  When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?
                  I still get a bit choked up during Locke's "big reveal" episode of Lost, I'm a bit embarrassed to say. I want to take my kids to see March of the Penguins, meanwhile, and I'm pretty sure that's going to get the waterworks going.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Anyone want to buy an almost-new copy of the pro edition of Dragon NaturallySpeaking?
                    Don't be in too much of a rush to unload that. If one of your kids (or the kids of friends) turns out to have grapho-motor difficulties or some other language-affected learning difference, it could be a life-saver for the kids and the family. I'll bet several of my students would love an almost-new copy if the price was reasonable--would you like me to ask?

You know, you could have demoed that before paying for it. That is big bucks.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Last night. Deep, warm chest pain. Turns out to have been a stress-related varicella-zoster outbreak. Not fun.
                      deep, warm chest pain? i have those symptoms, but i i thought it was just my broken heart...i'm going to the doctor tomorrow! look after yerself, pz!
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

You know, you could have demoed that before paying for it. That is big bucks.
                        Can you really demo computer software in the store before buying it? How does that work?

Comment

I'm pretty sure this software isn't preinstalled on store computers, and even if it was, the store environment and the hardware configuration would be far from ideal when it comes to sound pickup. And actually, having used it before, I knew I liked it - but this time I was more interested in importing MP3s rather than transcribing live.

I lied, too. It was the Preferred edition, not the Pro (which is really big bucks). What I really should have done is returned it immediately... but even now, I keep thinking of ways I might someday use it. Rationalization as a countermeasure to buyer's remorse, I guess.

Of course, rationalizing is harder now that I switched to a Mac... But at least there's no buyer's remorse there!

Comment

Not even when, in Rudy, Rudy is told he can't be on the Notre Dame football team's roster because they've got the limit, the starting quarterback enters the coach's office and says it's not right for Rudy to be left off the team, so he says Rudy can have his spot and then he throws his jersey down on the desk and leaves, only to be followed by an unending line of team-mates, all bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than Rudy, each of whom drops his jersey on the coach's desk, saying only the words, "For Rudy," and then, and then . . . sniff . . . sniff . . . waaaah! ?
                            Hello Mitchell...I miss your trivia games big time! Looking toward the next round, should it come to be this fall. As for the movie "Rudy", I never watched that either, though I am familiar with the story of it, being a fan of the NFL and UH football.

I don't know what the last movie I watched in a theatre (or at home on the DVD) was; it has been a long time. Going to the movies has never a favorite pastime of mine. That's why I dislike movie questions in your trivia games!

I think I can say I merely tolerate going to movies if I must to go to one, as in the case of viewing one with a group of friends on a Friday night, who have collectively chosen for our group to go to one. But for me to decide to go and watch a movie on my own..well..I don't think that has ever happened. I am not a fan of Hollywood.

I want to say this about movies: Even though I don't "know" any of the people who post in Hawaii Threads personally, I think I would enjoy watching one with some of the members in here just to expereince going to a movie with them. Most people in here have takes..they have opinions..and I would enjoy watching a movie with a laundry list I created of members in here I've come to know just to see their reactions and hear their opinions about the movie we would be watching, some night when I'm in Honolulu again.

In a perfect world, we would be viewing the movie in a magical place, like the way the Waikiki Theatre used to be ( I NEVER got to experience that place )...or for that matter, the Na'alehu Theatre... ...but the big boxes at Ward Center would work just as well! That sounds fun!

Comment

Well heck. That steak/eggs/coffee list of questions experienced a second life, so why not this one, too?
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Agreed, Scrivener. Here goes ---

When were you most recently given a flower lei?
                                - Last Saturday evening, when my kumu bought me a belated birthday dinner just before we had a hula show.

When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?
                                - After listening to some CD or viewing some DVD within the past six months; I don't recall which ones made me say "oh man, what a waste of money."

When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?
                                - Several years ago, taking a friend who had torn his Achilles tendon the night before (but still went out dancing, the fool.)

When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?
                                - February, hotels in Vancouver & Duncan, BC.

When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?
                                - Years and years ago; I have great difficulty getting tears to flow, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X