Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you doing to combat Summer's Heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you doing to combat Summer's Heat?

Originally posted by 1stwahine

I'm ready for the heat today! Got my t-shirt in the freezer
    Awshucks. I was jahs going say dat walking around naked would probly help lilibit, but nemine.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
      Awshucks. I was jahs going say dat walking around naked would probly help lilibit, but nemine.
      OMG! Mama would give me lickings with her cane! I am not a pretty sight to behold naked! *L*

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

auntie get da spray bottle of ice water and fan!!

blow da fan full blast and spray ice water mist on urself!! buggah works eh!!

mo cheap den buying da commercial mister pump called Misty Mate sold at costco like this one hea: misty mate dat sold at costco befo

i dunno if gettem still yet tho. my moddah call me from vegas and said she like i send mine dat i had befo. dey getting 106 degrees F!!!
        Reggie aka pinakboy
        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
        Recipe Tube TV!
        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Thanks everybody for some great advices. I'm making it through the day...with fun! Anybody remember a headband that was promoted by KSSK that was supposingly great for the summer's heat? Do they still make it and where can I purchase it?

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; July 19, 2005, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I think they call them scrunchies or something like that and I can attest that it doesn't work! Neither does the one that drapes around your neck for that matter.

The best I've read so far in this thread is the one by pinakboy using the spray bottle. Where you live I think it's all concrete floors right? I used to work in a shop in Kakaako with metal corrugated roofing and no vents. The windows were rusted shut (building built back in 1922) and no air flow. The hottest time was early August around 2pm. Inside the shop the temperature hit 100-degrees on average. I kept a spray bottle and like pinakboy said, I stood in front of a fan and sprayed myself with the bottle.

The net effect is creating a swamp cooler. It works and provides immediate relief. At night I would drape a towel around my neck and run a fan. You're gonna sweat anyway so let the towel catch the moisture evaporating off your skin and let the fan plus the damp towel cool you down while you sleep.

During the day take advantage of the indoor shopping malls like Kahala Mall. Buy a Jamba Juice and read the paper or as one guy does here at the Prince Kuhio Mall, he props open a text book and opens a binder and pretends to be studying. How do I know he's faking? He's got the same book opened midway practically everytime I see him and he's been doing this for over a year already.

Anyway the security guards won't kick you out if you're looking as if you're studying. But if you're just hanging around they may tell you to scoot along. Oh and make sure you have a shopping bag from one of the stores in the mall as "These tables are for the convenience of our patrons" so if you're not buying anything, get outta this mall! So you give them the impression that you are a patron that is studying for a test and they'll leave you alone with your Jamba Juice and you can cool off inside.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pinakboy and Craig are right, the best cooling methods all use evaporation of water. Just blowing dry air around isn't going to cool you down enough, but if you can get water to evaporate off of your skin it will suck a lot of heat up in the process. That's the same as how refrigerators work - they make the Freon evaporate and suck up heat from your food inside the fridge, then they pump the Freon to the outside of the fridge and make it condense and dump the heat out into your kitchen. (Well, the first part is the same.) Of course, if you're in a room with no ventilation, eventually the room is going to get too moist and the water will stop evaporating off of your skin. So make sure to be someplace with at least a little ventilation, too.

Comment

a cold bud and air conditioning in a bar with a baseball game on tv have always worked for me...either that or crank up the AC in my apartment and bury myself in my work...
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

Here in Dallas it's been in the high 90's but it's the freaking humidity that's the killer. Brings the heat index into the mid 100's. My family in Las Vegas and I try to top each other's "How hot it is here today" bragging (ha) rights but I keep on telling them that their heat is a dry heat whereas as with our humidity factor, ours is worse. But it's all relative in a way....hot is hot. Period.

But, draw the blinds, crank up the central ac (actually lower it). I have the ceiling fans going even the patio one if I have to go out there to do something. I'll also keep the circulating tower fans going in the rooms. Sometimes I don't know if it's just the heat or another hot flash going on.

Don't cook unless you absolutely have to! I do a lot of take-out or food delivery. But I do keep a lot of cold food in the 'fridge to munch on. Cold snack foods in the 'fridge and freezer. Okay, maybe some of them are fattening, junk food but... LOTS of water (I had 3 5-gal. bottles delivered yesterday), juices and I'm an iced coffee addict.

Don't venture outdoors unless you absolutely have to and stay indoors. Like what I'm doing today...doing mindless things on the computer.

Wearing the least amount of clothing is good. Okay, then the lightest. I like the t-shirt in the freezer thing. In fact, I think I'm going to throw some clothes in the freezer right now. Ciao!

Comment

This is why I tell my kids when it gets too cold in Volcano (upper Puna) to appreciate the cold. Plus it's more fun to try and keep warm than it is to keep cool. Snuggly and bubbly and cuddly stuff like that.

What's really strange though (and I'm trying to figure out a way to do this on demand) is how in the middle of a hot day, when you shi shi you get the shivers and you feel this coldness for the moment! Imagine being able to keep that cold feeling during the hot days! Is it a matter of how your mind controls your body?

Hmmm....nah just buy one air conditioner. Only $88 at Home Depot.

Comment

Thanks Craig, I'll go check it out when Antonio (my granson) goes home. I really enjoy the t-shirts in the freezer and water in the spray bottle with the fan. I especially like the "no cooking" part! Once again, mahalo to everybody!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I really enjoy the t-shirts in the freezer
                        Not to mention the "special effects" those frozen t-shirts have on certain parts of the body too.

Comment

Not to mention the "special effects" those frozen t-shirts have on certain parts of the body too.
                          Lurkah! Dey not supposed to know "our" secret! Ok, cats out of the bag...check out yesterday's entry at my blog, "Chi Chi Balls ..." http://www.hawaiistories.com/lynn

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Lurkah! Dey not supposed to know "our" secret! Ok, cats out of the bag...check out yesterday's entry at my blog, "Chi Chi Balls ..."
                            Wow, nevah take much to let you spill da beans on yourself. Must be you really wanted to share that info with everybody else but was too shy to say so.

Comment

Wow, nevah take much to let you spill da beans on yourself. Must be you really wanted to share that info with everybody else but was too shy to say so.

You too much! I'm far from being shy...ok, this time I was. Yeah right!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

That reminds me of a sentence out of the book Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pyncheon...Colder than the nipple on a Witch's Tit...describing extreme coldness.

Home Depot is also selling portable AC's for under $400. Overpriced for only 5,000 btu output but hey it travels from room to room.

So far here in Keaau, it hasn't gotten too hot (yet) I just bought an 8500 btu ac from Home Depot and am awaiting installation. Haven't had the need yet and I'm such a procrastinator I'll probably be putting it in late one hot evening instead of burning up this message board.

By the way the remote control from a Kenmore AC unit will work on LG air conditioners.

Comment

Working...
                                X