Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zip codes

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I rarely, if ever, see anything addressed as "Makaha" but do recall, decades ago, when it was used a lot.
    Well, it WAS decades ago for me.

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
    But rural Oahu does! I grew up using the mailing address "Kaneohe, HI 96744". Not all of Oahu lists their city as "Honolulu". I always felt a little sorry for the "townies" that couldn't take pride in their neighborhood and instead, were lumped together in the ubiquitous city of "Honolulu".
    Yeah, and that is why we wrote "Makaha" instead of Waianae. For post office purposes, Waianae means the whole coast. But for those that live there, there is strong identity with naming the exact area in which you live.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      All of Oahu is part of the City and County of Honolulu. When you address to someone on Oahu typically you don't put it at Makiki, HI 96823 or Nanakuli, HI 967xx
      Outside of Honolulu, the zip codes are pretty much arranged alphabetically, regardless of what Island it is on. There are a few exceptions tossed in there.

http://www.brainyzip.com/state/zip_hawaii.html

96701 Aiea
      96703 Anahola Kauai
      96704 Captain Cook Hawaii
      96705 Eleele Kauai
      96706 Ewa Beach
      96707 Kapolei
      96708 Haiku Maui
      96709 Kapolei
      96710 Hakalau
      etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
        Hey TutuSue, I know that many years ago, we'd list "Makaha" as our town,
        I vaguely remember putting "Oahu" in the address too. Since I lived in Kailua and there was a Kailua-Kona, that was kinda important. (Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii) I think that was before zip codes. Or maybe during the time things were changing.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I, too, remember the island as part of the address. While it's speedier and more efficient to leave it out, there was always something kinda special about seeing the name of the island on the envelope. Yep...Makaha, Oahu, Hawaii! Maybe I'll make new return address labels using the "old way"!

Thanks for the memories!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Now that you mention it, I, too, remember the island as part of the address. While it's speedier and more efficient to leave it out, there was always something kinda special about seeing the name of the island on the envelope. Yep...Makaha, Oahu, Hawaii! Maybe I'll make new return address labels using the "old way"!
            Thanks for the memories!
            My old state ID even had "Makaha" as the "city". Yeah, you should make address labels, and put it on your checks, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              Someone once told me that it doesn't really matter what city you put in the address. As long as the Zip Code is there and correct, the recipient will still get it in the mail.
              'Tis true. My fam got some relatives whose address we don't know. Every year, we just put their names and zip code on the Christmas card envelope and they always receive it. Said relatives send a Christmas card back without a return address. Bleh.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Before the ZIP codes, there were postal "zones." Kaimuki was "16," today's ZIP code is 96816. I believe that Nuuanu (96817) was "17," Kalihi (96819) was "19." Others I remember were 13, 14, 15, and 21.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I vaguely remember putting "Oahu" in the address too. Since I lived in Kailua and there was a Kailua-Kona, that was kinda important. (Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii) I think that was before zip codes. Or maybe during the time things were changing.
                  I remember a few years back some people address mail to my folks as:

Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii 96766

Kind of figured that the Kauai part wasn't needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X