This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

... when people mix up technology terms, in this case, a customer just asked if I can use the computers to "download iPods".
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Adrian, you really should cut people some slack when it comes to language. If the customer had known enough to get his language right in this case, he'd have known enough not to need you, and therefore wouldn't be a customer. Plus, in the past couple of days, you've made this language-related error:
      Originally posted by adrian View Post
      ... when people mix up technology terms, in this case, a customer just asked if I can use the computers to "download iPods".
      (you need a period after "terms," not a comma, and your terminal period goes inside the quotation mark)

and this:
      I don't know what car you drive, but mine can go pass 20.
      (you mean "past," not "pass," and the way you've constructed this sentence, you're saying your car can go past 20, not your stereo's volume control)

So chill. Nobody got peeved enough at YOUR use of language to say anything about it; try cutting others the same slack.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        My wife lives in a house full of men and my reasoning why it's a lids up house is simply this: When groggy the kids will piss (regardless if the lid is up or down). So if the lid's up there's a clean lid if you gotta go and don't have time to clean up a dirty lid.

Lids down ensures a dirty seat.
        You're saying that a groggy kid will piss all over the lid? See, this is why the whole toilet seat issue is a stupid debate. The proper not-in-use position is for both the lid and the seat to be down. I live alone and that's what I do. When they're in a hurry to get out of the car, do they try to bang through the door without opening it?

If we all learn that the first part of using the toilet is lifting the lid (and the last is dropping it back down), we'll never have this silly argument. Men, women, and kids will expect the seat and lid down at the beginning of the operation and will set it back at the end.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

following that logic, we would be forced to touch the seat with our hands. Yuck!

I prefer all citizens to plop on the buns that God gave them and do their business in that position. All business. Then the only part touching the seat is the part of the body that never comes in contact with food and stuff.

pax

Comment

I was raised in a household that didn't make a big deal about whether the seat was up or down. We all look before we 'go'.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              You're saying that a groggy kid will piss all over the lid? See, this is why the whole toilet seat issue is a stupid debate. The proper not-in-use position is for both the lid and the seat to be down. I live alone and that's what I do. When they're in a hurry to get out of the car, do they try to bang through the door without opening it?

If we all learn that the first part of using the toilet is lifting the lid (and the last is dropping it back down), we'll never have this silly argument. Men, women, and kids will expect the seat and lid down at the beginning of the operation and will set it back at the end.

Scriv...that makes a lot of sense however if we all learn to keep the lids up and drop them when we need a clean one we'll also never have this silly arguement and men, women, and kids will expect the seat and lid up and to have a clean one when it's dropped.

Lids up or lids down? Do you want a clean seat? Then the lid should stay up until it's needed.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

My Pet Peeve for today?
                Dammit, My Wife's in Fiji and I'm not!!!

I'm very happy for her and enjoying my self too!
                Went out sailin' with my buddy today.
                The sun dried me out from all the rain lately.
                Ahhhh.... That feels good.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

[DELETED MY PETTY PEEVE]

ah and last week's peeve. people who cut in line. i was in miami two weeks ago and la last week. i can't stand rude mainland people who cut in line like their time is more valuable then someone elses. i was so glad to return home both times. nothing like being away to make you appeciate hawaii.
                  Last edited by 808shooter; July 24, 2007, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    following that logic, we would be forced to touch the seat with our hands. Yuck!
                    Well...no. Only the men, who need to raise it, would have to touch it. Women would only have to raise and lower the lid, not touch the seat itself.

I'm with Scrivener on this one - seat AND lid closed when not in use. Always.

And if anyone here fails to wash their hands anyway (with soap and hot water) after using the restroom facilities --- I don't want to know (nor do I want to shake hands with you.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      Oh, is that why women make such a big deal about where the toilet seat is left? I could never figure that out. It's not like it's heavy or technically complicated.

Comment

The reason I've been given is that when women are in a hurry, they don't notice that the seat is up and they sit right down in the bowl.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Adrian, you really should cut people some slack when it comes to language. If the customer had known enough to get his language right in this case, he'd have known enough not to need you, and therefore wouldn't be a customer.
                          I've been in Adrian's shoes. I've gotten into a whole conversation about the customer's "computer" only to find out they were talking about their monitor. They called the box of the floor they put their disks into a "CPU". Knowing the proper language wouldn't have allowed them to solve the problem themselves, but it sure would have helped me help them.

If someone asked me about "downloading their iPod" I'd have to ask them if they wanted to load new songs or save the ones that are already on the iPod.

There's a difference between typos that are errors, but it's clear what the writer intended - and then there's errors that cause confusion.

Oh, Adrian, about that job hunt. If that does get to you, hunt for a job where you support businesses and business users rather then consumers. Support is sooooooo much easier!

Comment

The reason I've been given is that when women are in a hurry, they don't notice that the seat is up and they sit right down in the bowl.
                            And the difference is, if it was a guy who made the mistake, he'd never tell anyone about it because it would just show how stupid he was. (Unless he was bragging about how drunk we was. )

But when it happens to a woman, it's all a man's fault. (The whole toilet lid thing has been one of my pet peeves.)

But I know enough grermaphobic women that having to touch it makes way more sense. (My motto: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. )

Comment

Oh, and about little kids not raising the toilet seat ....

Try using the Men's room at the Smithsonian after literally bus load after bus load of kids on field trips have been though.

I don't consider myself germaphopic, but I do have my limits.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                (My motto: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. )
                                Time to go indulge in some "Death By Chocolate" dessert. I get stronger every time I eat some.

Comment

Working...
                                X