This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

I hate it when people come into my office and stink like they haven't bathed for months. I don't mind construction workers, or others that had to run around in the sun for a day. I mean the really #$@% awful stinky ones. Some of the stinky men come in with their families... wife, kids. How can they stand it??? I once had to sit next to one in a flight to a neighbor island. Gross.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Honest, Adrian, it's not worth getting all worked up over. Chances are it's a host problem which you can't do anything about. Can't log on to HT? Just do sumthin' else!
      True, HT is an interesting place, always thriving with new content, and kind of a bummer when it's not up. Whenever HT is down, I go to my other source of new content... NEWS. Mainly CNN, MSNBC and ABCNEWS.com, as well as our two local paper's sites.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The games realtors play. Namely the 'ebay' bidding war. Except, unlike ebay where you know where you stand as far as high bid, in the realtor-ebay game you're in the dark.

Here's how it goes: Listing realtor prices low. Buyers submit offers, many above asking price. Listing realtor asks you if you want to submit a higher offer, never telling or offering what the high bid is. You give an escalating offer, say $2K above highest bid, nte a certain amount. He wants you to commit to your high limit, you say 'no', not unless he discloses what the high bid is at that point. Why should you pay $XXXX blindly?

Does the listing realtor think WE should pay for our realtor's services??? If that's the case, why should buyers have realtors? The bottom line is it may have cost us the place.

btw, I'm pissed off at Prudential RE. I think their means to an end is unethical.

Comment

I hate it that our car port is full of cars - yes, all 6 stalls are full... well, not yet. My Dad moved his truck to street parking, so that I can park my car where he parks after he heard that my car will go bye bye - but that's taken care of. Recently, my parents bought my younger brother a car for him to practice driving, and parked the car in my parking space (how'd they do it, I forget) and now I have to move my car to where ever there's a parking space. I told my Dad numerous times he can take his parking space back - but he wouldn't listen.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            My advice to you, Adrian, is to never have children - this is one of their primary talents.
            I forget about that until I try to talk to one of my daughters. One or more of my grandkids receive some kind of telepathic message that their mom is on the phone and immediately hone in on said mom and kick off the time-honored routine known to all parents, demanding immediate attention for something that was a non-issue only moments before the phone call.

Love 'em anyway, the little brats.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
              I hate it when people come into my office and stink like they haven't bathed for months.
              It may be a medical condition. Diabetes that is not in control is one such.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                The games realtors play. Namely the 'ebay' bidding war. Except, unlike ebay where you know where you stand as far as high bid, in the realtor-ebay game you're in the dark.

Here's how it goes: Listing realtor prices low. Buyers submit offers, many above asking price. Listing realtor asks you if you want to submit a higher offer, never telling or offering what the high bid is. You give an escalating offer, say $2K above highest bid, nte a certain amount. He wants you to commit to your high limit, you say 'no', not unless he discloses what the high bid is at that point. Why should you pay $XXXX blindly?

Does the listing realtor think WE should pay for our realtor's services??? If that's the case, why should buyers have realtors? The bottom line is it may have cost us the place.

btw, I'm pissed off at Prudential RE. I think their means to an end is unethical.
                this reminds me of the chapter of Levitt & Dubner's book, "Freakonomics," titled, "The Ku Klux Klan and Real-Estate Agents," which outlines how the two are similar in how they convert information into weapons of fear. Here's a snippet from page 72:

Consider this true story, related by John Donohue, a law professor who in 2001 was teaching at Stanford University: "I was just about to buy a house on Stanford campus," he recalls, "and the seller's agent kept telling me what a good deal I was getting because the market was about to zoom. As soon as I signed the purchase contract, he asked me if I would need an agent to sell my previous Stanford house. I told him that I would probably try to sell without an agent, and he replied, "John, that might work under normal conditions, but with the market tanking right now, you really need the help of a broker.

Within five minutes, a zooming market had tanked. Such are the marvels that can be conjured by an agent in search of the next deal.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  It may be a medical condition. Diabetes that is not in control is one such.
                  I am aware of that, but it's always a mainland type. I think people from some parts of the mainland don't bathe every day, or maybe not even every week. It's OK if you live in a cold area, but not in Hawaii.

I'm reminded of another pet peeve. Women who wash their hair only once a week... I work with some of those women, and it's torture during the summer!

Or maybe I just have a sensitive nose.

Comment

I am aware of that, but it's always a mainland type. I think people from some parts of the mainland don't bathe every day, or maybe not even every week. It's OK if you live in a cold area, but not in Hawaii.
                    Ooooh...there are certainly some of those living in Hawaii! But what, exactly, is a "mainland type"?
                    I'm reminded of another pet peeve. Women who wash their hair only once a week... I work with some of those women, and it's torture during the summer!
                    This, in some instances, can be a cultural issue.
                    Could be! Sometimes my very limited sense of smell is a good thing!

Comment

hmmmm. Mainland-type woman who only washes her hair like once a week. geepers that could be ME! Does the fact that I have murderously kinky hair weigh in on this as well? I take bodymint! Does that redeem me?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                        hmmmm. Mainland-type woman who only washes her hair like once a week. geepers that could be ME! Does the fact that I have murderously kinky hair weigh in on this as well? I take bodymint! Does that redeem me?
                        Hey! An idea for a new product...deodorizing hair spray!!! I don't think once a week hair washing is all that unusual. My mom used to wash her hair once every 2 weeks because she couldn't stand the fly aways that come with clean, fine hair. It took a week of hair spray to calm them. I don't ever recall an odor much less a foul odor.

Body Mint rocks! Works from head to toe!

Comment

From someone who is viewed as a mainlander here and as an islander there, I haven't noticed any particular trend either way. Actually, I always found that to be a trait of foriegn types. From India, France, Germany and so on. I had a prof from Germany once who never bathed. None of us could stand going to class. Her hair was so greasy! And the smell.....! Yet, she had a husband who smelled just as bad and they were happy as clams.

Comment

party + HPD = trouble.

I just saw a few HPD cars pull out of our area, probably because of our neighbor's party.

If we can have a party w/out any trouble, why can't other people do it?
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I apologize if I offended anyone. I really didn't mean to.

I thought this thread was to say whatever you wanted, just to get it out and done with. I should be more sensitive that ohers may take offense. Sorry!

Comment

I apologize if I offended anyone. I really didn't mean to.

I thought this thread was to say whatever you wanted, just to get it out and done with. I should be more sensitive that ohers may take offense. Sorry!
                                I just have the kinda hair that, if washed everyday, would be total Angela Davis all the time. It's OK to look like a militant sometimes, but not all the time!
                                And hey, feel free to post a universal apology on the apology thread, Nikki!
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X