• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    I have a song request!

You Light Up My Life by Debbie Boone!

Pretty please?
    Someone is butchering "Snow Bird" right now.

Spread your tiny wings and fly away
    And take the snow back with you
    Where it came from on that day
    The one I love forever is untrue
    And if I could you know that I would
    Fly away with you

The voice is trying to figure out what key it's in.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      Neighbors who have a outdoor Karaoke party. I'm a block away and can still hear them. I'm very tempted to go outside and yell "you suck!"
      when i was in intermediate school, we lived in an apartment building whose resident manager's son fancied himself the next martin nievera, which he was so NOT. they lived next to the bank of mailboxes and the laundry room, and it was my unlucky chore to both check the mail and play sentinel to the laundry we washed. his exceedingly bad rendition of "wind beneath my wings" blasted disharmoniously through the cinder block walls and could be heard very clearly from those two (disad)vantage points.

painful, painful times, which i had forgotten. i wish they stayed that way. thanks, GG, for making me company to your misery.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
        thanks, GG, for making me company to your misery.
        Hey, anytime!

Well, the guy now at least can sing. (Yes, they are STILL at it.) The guy in the afternoon wouldn't have been able to find his pitch with both hands and a guide dog.

Comment

Almost started another thread in The Tube but realized it is probably more of my own pet peeve. Did anyone else see the ads for the new fall show "Big Bang Theory"? Just another example of "only complete nerds do physics". OK - maybe you guys see me that way and in jest, among friends - I have no problem being teased. But it upsets me when that is the only way physics and math people are portrayed.

Comment

eric and i jointly agree that our PPOD is poor reading attentiveness and comprehension. we're all guilty of sloppy reading now and again, i know, but sheesh, if you're going to respond to someone else's post or, if you're going to post about something you read elsewhere, make sure you read it properly!

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

eric and i jointly agree that our PPOD is poor reading attentiveness and comprehension. we're all guilty of sloppy reading now and again, i know, but sheesh, if you're going to respond to someone else's post or, if you're going to post about something you read elsewhere, make sure you read it properly!

Non-capitilized run-on sentences can be a peeve too.

But you're hot, so it doesn't matter.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Today's pet peeve is when a coworker uses a hands free device, then you try to answer a question he asks, but then you realize he's on the phone. I couldn't see the headset because its on the other side of his face. I like an idiot.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                  Today's pet peeve is when a coworker uses a hands free device, then you try to answer a question he asks, but then you realize he's on the phone. I couldn't see the headset because its on the other side of his face. I like an idiot.
                  I think that situation has happened to the majority of us. No need to feel like an idiot.

Comment

I hate crossing the island to do computer repairs. Me and my car gotta travel from Waianae to Kailua tomorrow. This is one of the bad things I hate about owning a sports car (but going on a hairpin turn at 40mph certainly makes that better)
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

That wasn't a run-on sentence. Grammatically perfect and well-punctuated, except for the comma after the "or." In this case, it should have been before.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

A continuous pet peeve for me is drivers who pull their car all the way through the crosswalk at a red light, so that I have to walk into oncoming traffic in order to get around them.
                        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                          A continuous pet peeve for me is drivers who pull their car all the way through the crosswalk at a red light, so that I have to walk into oncoming traffic in order to get around them.
                          Amen. Off with their heads, I say, and I'm against the death penalty. Also, cars that make right turns right in front of pedestrians and cyclists. Gr.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Unfortunately for some intersections that's what you have to do to get into a position to see for a right-on-red. (Especially if the car just to the left is some monster SUV.) If there were no pedestrians at the time, that's perfectly fine in my book. And in that situation, if you walk in front of them without making eye contact, you may get run over.

Comment

But you're hot, so it doesn't matter.
                              Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              That wasn't a run-on sentence. Grammatically perfect and well-punctuated, except for the comma after the "or." In this case, it should have been before.
                              thx, scriv. i will point out something you already know, which is that the nuances of comma usage is sometimes debatable. as i was speaking that sentence in my mind, i was emphasizing the word "or." regardless, that comma really isn't necessary & in retrospect, i prolly would have been better off leaving it out.

pomai, i'm glad the image you have of me in your head, since we've never met in real life, is an attractive one. what faith you have!

you could carry an air horn....

tho i don't know if you want to carry the cross eric and i carry about honking. the way some people scold us about it on HT, you'd think we were playing with fire in the dry brush of a national preserve containing indigenous and nearly extinct plant and animal species.

Comment

the nuances of comma usage is sometimes debatable.
                                Nuances "are," if you please.

Bwah-hah-hah!

Honk-honk!

(Just teasing here - not peeved at all.)

Comment

Working...
                                X