X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by adrian View Post
    Couple that with how people don't use their turn signals when changing lanes
    And when the do, the first blink is when they are already part way into your lane.

Watch the "body language". Seriously. Cars are an extension of the driver's body. They give clues as to what the driver is thinking. If the car is "leaning" to your lane (not centered in their lane, but closer to yours) and is "pacing" your lane (not following the speed of the car in front of them, but rather following what your lane is doing), they are going to change lanes.

Comment

We got our ways in the islands, and we don't care how you did it on the mainland.

Anybody care to defend that statement on an intellectual basis.

And you people wonder why the school system is failing you. Hint: It's not the schools or the system or the teachers.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Timkona,

as much as you bitch about Hawaii, the schools, the mentality etc etc..

why the hell do you insist on living in Kona????

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          And when the do, the first blink is when they are already part way into your lane.

Watch the "body language". Seriously. Cars are an extension of the driver's body. They give clues as to what the driver is thinking. If the car is "leaning" to your lane (not centered in their lane, but closer to yours) and is "pacing" your lane (not following the speed of the car in front of them, but rather following what your lane is doing), they are going to change lanes.
          Major agreement on the body language thing! You can read it... sense it coming! It's an unspoken thing... a driver vibe or something. Whatever it is, you're right. Seen it, am aware of it, etc.

One comment on the blink and jump thing... drivers do that because other nasty drivers see the blinker and instead of slowing down to let them enter, they speed up. So, blink and jump is what some drivers do now. I try to be nice about blinkers and let them in when I see them. I have been known to be nasty to the speed-uppers though. Dang vanity plates are gonna get me in trouble yet!
          Aloha,
          Evelyn
          Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Answer to CranBeree

The surf, the sand, the fishing, the warm weather, the total lack of natural disasters, the total lack of gun violence, the surf, the warm weather, the humidity, the warm ocean, the business climate, the beaches, the coastline, the marlin, ono, ahi, and mahi, the poke, poi, lomi salmon, and laulau, the mountains, the stargazing, the astronomy, scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, camping, hiking.

And oh yeah.......the warm ocean.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              We got our ways in the islands, and we don't care how you did it on the mainland.

And you people wonder why the school system is failing you. Hint: It's not the schools or the system or the teachers.
              You sure you're not a comedian, Tim? Ask Mel, or Kam or PJ to defend this statement.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

I don't think that this is exclusively an "island" mentality. The words, maybe, but the thoughts behind the words - no way. People are afraid of what they don't know. I have seen the same attitude on the mainland too. And it is never ALL the people. You can't assume all islanders feel that way nor can you group all from the mainland as wanting to come here and change things. Yes, there are those who are fixed in their ways. Sometimes those ways are the "right" way, sometimes not. I was relocated to upstate NY for work after living on an island my whole life (I was 30 then). Want to talk culture shock? In comparison, island people are much, much more open minded and welcoming.

I am going to comment on 2 areas in upstate NY. Troy, NY which is an old factory city that has since gone to pot (or crack or whatever ) and Schuylerville, NY which is an old farming town. Two very different enviroments - neither of which want to see any changes brought to their area. Both have horrible school systems and in both cases, it is not due to the school systems or teachers. In Troy, there are folks who would prefer to sit around getting drunk and complaining about how all the factories moved out and left them unemployed. To their children they instill a sense of "the government owes us" mentality. So now you have several generations of this attitude (the factories moved out around 1950). Yet, if someone from outside Troy were to come in and try to give them ideas on community improvement they would be run out of town - literally. Schuylerville has a similar mentality, only with regards to farming. "We've been farmers since the revolutionary war - we know how to do it" They don't particularly care about education. This is a place where school still does revolve around planting season. It is not unusual to have kids (I'm talking 10-11 yrs old) kept out of school to help on the farm. There, if you were to try and change things, you wouldn't be run out of town. They'd just shoot you. I'm not kidding.

So, when I read your comment, I had to laugh (Is this a good place for that LOL thing?). The attitude you are referring to is not just in HI. It's everywhere. And every other place in the world thinks they have it right, too. Much of my family has since moved to Florida. When I went to visit last June they spent the entire time trying to convince me that only in S Florida did they do things the right way and why would anyone in their right mind want to live in HI. So I spent my time trying to tell them, "In Hawaii we do it this way...."

Comment

Here's another one. I don't know if it's the same back home as here, but the phrase "No problem!" is beginning to get old really fast.

To a server at a restaurant: "Would you mind bringing me some ketchup please?"

Her: 'No problem!"

To a client on the phone: "Could you please send me the latest title transfer on that property?"

Her: "No problem!"

At an espresso da kine: "Could you make my latte extra hot please?"

Him/her: "No problem!"

I know what they mean; they're happy to help me. And I'm grateful and always say thank you. It's just that the phrase is used so much and I'm getting tired of it.

I wonder.... if I were back home and any one of them were to say to me, "‘a‘ole pilikia", would it bother me the same way?
                  Aloha,
                  Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                    Here's another one. I don't know if it's the same back home as here, but the phrase "No problem!" is beginning to get old really fast.

To a server at a restaurant: "Would you mind bringing me some ketchup please?"

Her: 'No problem!"

To a client on the phone: "Could you please send me the latest title transfer on that property?"

Her: "No problem!"

At an espresso da kine: "Could you make my latte extra hot please?"

Him/her: "No problem!"

I know what they mean; they're happy to help me. And I'm grateful and always say thank you. It's just that the phrase is used so much and I'm getting tired of it.

I wonder.... if I were back home and any one of them were to say to me, "‘a‘ole pilikia", would it bother me the same way?

No Problem Well it ain't as bad as, "It's in the bag" or "its a done deal" It's never done or in the bag until you go to sleep that night with a smile on your face.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      No Problem Well it ain't as bad as, "It's in the bag" or "its a done deal" It's never done or in the bag until you go to sleep that night with a smile on your face.
                      Well, duh, Mokihana. It wouldn't bother you if you were back home cuz you'd be back home, u lolo!!

I don't hear "It's in the bag" at all over here.

I'll tell you another one, though.

"My bad". Argggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Moa worse den "no problem".

Aloha,
                      Mokihana

Comment

yep the destruction of english syntax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          I hate...

paranoia.

The family cat has been missing since last thurs. I hunted the region, drove to the animal shelter, feared that she mortally fell from the trees (she's a birder) or was mortally attacked by the neighbor's dogs (and proceded to plan vengeance upon said canine vermin).

She shows up tonight, skinny and tired, and several days and buckets of tears later. I now assume that some evil neighbor caught her and dropped her off 20miles away (which would explain the days it took her to trek it home) and procede to plan vengeance upon said mystery neighbor....

*sigh*

I am *so* happy my beloved lil furry girlyfriend is home with the fam. And, she's fixed, so a heat is out of the question.
                          Didn't see this post till now.... I am SO glad your cat came back. We had that happen with a dog once... she was found about 20 miles away from our house. I understand the wai maka!
                          Aloha,
                          Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            yep the destruction of english syntax

I don't even know who invented "my bad"... maybe it was in a movie or something. I just know it's worse than fingernails on a blackboard.

Why not just say, "Oh, I'm so sorry!"

I think it's a losing battle.
                            Aloha,
                            Mokihana

Comment

Here's another pet peeve.... stuff I buy wrapped in the see-through, rigid plastic da kines that are impossible to open without something really sharp because there's no pull-tab or small opening where your fingers can get purchase to open the confunnit things and then you get cut when you're trying to cut through the smooth plastic that was probably never meant to be opened in the first place and then you cannot find any band-aids and you're bleeding all over the place and you finally gotta throw it towards your hubby and say, "Could you please open this @#$%!#$% thing for me?" and he says, "No problem!!"

Whew. Gotta catch my breath now!
                              Aloha,
                              Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                                Here's another pet peeve.... stuff I buy wrapped in the see-through, rigid plastic da kines that are impossible to open without something really sharp because there's no pull-tab or small opening where your fingers can get purchase to open the confunnit things and then you get cut when you're trying to cut through the smooth plastic that was probably never meant to be opened in the first place and then you cannot find any band-aids and you're bleeding all over the place and you finally gotta throw it towards your hubby and say, "Could you please open this @#$%!#$% thing for me?" and he says, "No problem!!"

Whew. Gotta catch my breath now!
                                Well you can thank the shoplifters and other thieves for the invention of Blister Packs. Like I tell my co-workers, "there's a place for shoplifters and Hell's gonna be one crowded place"

Comment

Working...
                                X