Best Part of Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Part of Today

Best part of today was learning that a colleague's newborn (Sat.), who is in the NICU and struggling, had a better night last night and is off morphine.

Comment

Blessed be Auntie and all HT Ohana. You see, god is in all of us. God is only as good as we are, and we are good.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• best part of today could not have come if not for the fact that today is among the worst days in five years i've been at my current job.

many of you know i am not directly involved in patient care. still, i'm always affected when i hear of a patient's death. today, someone died on one of our units whom i knew--not because i had a direct personal relationship, only having spoken with her twice in fifteen years. without getting into much detail, because of the way we know each other, you would expect we'd want nothing to do with each other.

she's young--two years younger than i--and from the day she was born, she shouldn't have survived past her first year of her life. but she made it into her thirties. despite the circumstances of how we know each other (more correctly, know of each other), i know she had a sweet disposition and a lovely, if sometimes troubled, soul. my heart aches terribly for everyone who knew her much better than i.

anyway, i asked eric to scoop me up from work earlier than usual. i wanted to have a really great dinner with the man i love at a favorite thai restaurant that also has a great bar so i could wallow in alcohol and good food and be comforted. the bartender, whom i never met before, knew right off i was having a crappy day, partially bcs i wear my heart on my face and partially bcs she overheard me and eric talk about it very obliquely. after she served us our first round, she said it was on her to help make up for my bad day.

i just about cried right at the bar.

longtime HTers have heard me say, more in annoyance than real animosity, that i sometimes really really hate people. but today is one of the many days in my life where i am amazed at how beautiful people can be, and my heart just overflows.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Men don't cry ? Some times our eyes leak a bit, like when I read your post above. Not much I can say but you are coping well,,,,,, I hope.
          Please be kind to yourself.

Barry

Comment

Cynsaligia,

I read your post and each word carefully...you are a special person. Period.

(((Hugs)))

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

and from me too.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post

longtime HTers have heard me say, more in annoyance than real animosity, that i sometimes really really hate people. but today is one of the many days in my life where i am amazed at how beautiful people can be, and my heart just overflows.
                I can understand this. It's the borgish/groupspeak trap 'people' tend to fall into as a group. When the random butterfly steps out and away from the everyday ant hill business of day to day living, it gives pause....and a little glimmer of hope for the future of all who crawl on this mudball floating in space.

Comment

More than one 'best part' for today...so far!!!

1. My colleague with the newborn with problems (#631 above)...newborn is now off a ventilator and his mama got to hold him for an hour today. Looks like baby Xavier is out of the woods.

2. I received 2 friend requests on Facebook in the last hour...both from high school classmates I've not seen since graduation 47 years ago. Blew me away!

My wish is for good things to come in threes and that would include Pono Aweau making the cut on So You Think You Can Dance tonight!

ETA: Great post, cyn.

Comment

1. Getting to use the new Sam's Club gas station.
                    2. The nice server at the drive-through at KFC. (haven't had KFC in a LOOONG time.)
                    3. The Leeward YMCA staff and how helpful they are.
                    4. Mama is finally home from rehab (she had lung cancer surgery in April, took a while to get better enough to go home.) My brother is there to help her. They brought Mama's cat home from the kennel; he said he opened the cat box, Buggs stepped out onto the carpet, squeaked twice and ran under her favorite bed. (She came out 24 hours later.)

4 things. It was a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                      1. Getting to use the new Sam's Club gas station.
                      2. The nice server at the drive-through at KFC. (haven't had KFC in a LOOONG time.)
                      3. The Leeward YMCA staff and how helpful they are.
                      4. Mama is finally home from rehab (she had lung cancer surgery in April, took a while to get better enough to go home.) My brother is there to help her. They brought Mama's cat home from the kennel; he said he opened the cat box, Buggs stepped out onto the carpet, squeaked twice and ran under her favorite bed. (She came out 24 hours later.)

4 things. It was a good day.

i'm very glad to know your mom is home. while i would have been happy to make a physician referral when you asked for it, i'm ecstatic you don't need it!

thanks to barry, auntie lynn, anapuni, peshkwe and tutusue for your kind words after my post last night. for the record, i've not hated people in the last 24 hours, tho a few individuals were mighty vexing!
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

for the record, i've not hated people in the last 24 hours, tho a few individuals were mighty vexing!
                        Good for you, cyn!

I'm glad I didn't need the referral, too. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                          Considering the hordes of attorneys retained by the RIAA, I'm sure they're aware they don't need to make any reservations as far as their rights to sue file sharers. Their decision to stop pursuing individuals was of their own accord -- though perhaps PR-influenced -- and not legally binding.

Putting the screws on Thomas-Rassett:
                          1. Set a precedent. Definitely.
                          2. Created chilling effect in the community of illegal downloaders. Sure.
                          3. Bumped up billable hours for RIAA attorneys. Yep.
                          4. Made a reservation. Not so much.
                          i might shock some people with this statement, but my favorite frozen pizza is totino's. it's the only one i'll buy bcs (1) it's cheap (2) i rarely buy frozen pizza and (3) it's comfort food to me (reminds me of the fun part of my poor early college years). i guess saying totino's is my favorite is like me saying mcdonald's has my favorite cheeseburger, which is a quasi-accurate statement in a similar way.

oh, another reason why i like totino's is bcs the crust gets crispy. i much prefer thin crust over pan or whatever else there is.

tis not exactly "best part of today," but it's a tickle-me moment--eric and i posted simultaneously on HT for the first time in many months. it's kinda like being happily surprised that the guy you have a crush on shows up at the party you're at. *swoon*

yeah, i am a dork.

Comment

awww - thats so sweet!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The best part of my day was in the middle of the night. My friend who lives down my street rang me to say she was desperate for a ciggy. We both quit 2 and a half years ago and I explained that I didn't have any.
                              What she wanted was for me to go with her in a taxi to the nearest petrol station to buy some.
                              I think she was very wise to have company at that dark hour of the morning. She bought a packet of Superkings and I got a pack of trebor mints.
                              A few hours later, she was back up at mine for a cuppa. The ciggies were scewed up in the packet and she hadn't smoked one.

In my bathroom cabinet I had some nicotine patches from a few years back and gave them to her as an emergeancy.

Sure ! it was the best part of my day and made me feel proud that a friend could turn to me at any hour

Comment

Watching the fireworks show between the US and Canada:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/19836545/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                X