Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Part of Today

I beat the trashman! Woot!

PS- How do you pronounce Lahaina? Because I think Samantha Brown may be pronouncing it wrong, and if so...that's another awesome part of today!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      PS- How do you pronounce Lahaina? Because I think Samantha Brown may be pronouncing it wrong, and if so...that's another awesome part of today!
      Yeah, I think I saw that too. I've always heard La-hi-na. I believe she kept saying La-haine-na. Am I remembering the same show? Or maybe I've always heard it wrong????

Best part of today - 3 weeks til I'm "home"

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
        Yeah, I think I saw that too. I've always heard La-hi-na. I believe she kept saying La-haine-na. Am I remembering the same show? Or maybe I've always heard it wrong????

Best part of today - 3 weeks til I'm "home"
        She always pronounces things wrong. I think the only TV persona of that genre is Andrew Zimmern who actually pronounced everything right on his
        "Bizarre Foods" show about Hawaii.

Welcome home soon AL!

The best part so far of this early day was the walk I just got back from with Manele & Koele and my dear friend who after 2 years is leaving Hawaii. She
        will be dearly missed and added to the list of friends who've left. I took pictures of her with them and will send them in a little frame when she gets settled back in TX. Since it's early who knows what the rest of the day will bring!

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
          Nope, same show. I kept yelling at her, "It's La-hi-na, dingdong!" You'd think the Travel Channel could at least spring for someone to phonetically spell things out on her cue cards. Gah.

Best part of my day was watching two good movies at the Drive-In in Ennis. My first Drive-In experience!

Comment

I am at a physics conference in Ann Arbor, MI exhibiting Atomville. 10 hr days. Getting GREAT responses! And......I got to have lunch with the science technical advisor on The Big Bang Theory!!! Very Cool - we talked more about neutrinos and acoustics than the show, but he bought one of my books. Exciting week! And then back to Hawaii.......... Wheww......... no wonder I'm exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
              Nope, same show. I kept yelling at her, "It's La-hi-na, dingdong!" You'd think the Travel Channel could at least spring for someone to phonetically spell things out on her cue cards. Gah.

Best part of my day was watching two good movies at the Drive-In in Ennis. My first Drive-In experience!
              I have to laugh at myself on this one - I looked at your spelling and automaticaly said to myself La-HE-na. I guess I'm so used to the Hawaiian pronunciation of vowels now that I subconsciously read them that way.

a = ah
              e = a
              i = e
              o = o
              u = ooo
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                I have to laugh at myself on this one - I looked at your spelling and automaticaly said to myself La-HE-na. I guess I'm so used to the Hawaiian pronunciation of vowels now that I subconsciously read them that way.

a = ah
                e = a
                i = e
                o = o
                u = ooo
                Ha, ha, joke's on me, then. I did the same thing and was pronouncing it Whoops! Either way, she still pronounced it wrong.

Best part of today- finding out Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers are coming to the House of Blues in Dallas on Thursday and tickets are only $15! Now I just have to talk the huz into going.

Comment

it bugs me too when she mispronounces words from other languages. I know some folks who have met her and they all say she is so nice & has so much fun with her job that you really can't get that upset with her. but she still should take the time to learn how to pronounce the place names at least!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    but she still should take the time to learn how to pronounce the place names at least!
                    She's waiting for Joe "Konny-oh-eee" Moore to do so first, perhaps.

Comment

I had a huuuge collection of books and needed to make room for some new furniture, so this morning a friend came by with his pickup truck and we loaded all the books in the truck and took them up to donate them to our local library. Paperbacks and hard cover books, probably about 400 total. The head librarian was ecstatic, and the warm smile on her face was the best part of today.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I mailed my 2008 taxes today and I get a refund from the feds and the state!

I always get an extension!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          She's waiting for Joe "Konny-oh-eee" Moore to do so first, perhaps.
                          That bugs me about Joe since I grew in Kaneohe. Almost as much as how he refers to the year 2000 as "twenty-oh-oh."

Comment

Making dog food supply for another 10-12 days' worth. Then washing the MOUNTAIN of dishes, pots, pans, cuisinart bowls/tops, and crock pot lining!
                            I'm pooped but glad it's done!

Comment

In my next life time I wanna come back as your dog, leash!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                I had a huuuge collection of books and needed to make room for some new furniture, so this morning a friend came by with his pickup truck and we loaded all the books in the truck and took them up to donate them to our local library. Paperbacks and hard cover books, probably about 400 total. The head librarian was ecstatic, and the warm smile on her face was the best part of today.
                                You're awesome. I love the library and reading so much. So many people forget about giving to it that I have a special place in my heart for donors.

I've been having a really sucky week, so I guess the best part of my day was making Oatmeal Scotchies. Oh, and having one of my puppies come running to love on me. It's funny how in tune with you your dogs can get, isn't it? Sam always knows when I need him and is always right there for me. Everyone said we'd regret getting a Jack Russell Terrier, but aside from sometimes escaping, he's such a good dog. And actually pretty calm.

Comment

Working...
                                X