Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did You Know?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    did you know: That the concentration of odorant in Propane gas is so low that Tesoro uses only a gallon of the stuff in a daily production of Propane?
    Doesn't that propane "odor" remind you of toe jams? Or some sort of undefinable organic scent.

It certainly smells dangerous enough to think to yourself, "hey buddy, anymore of this stuff leaks out and you're as good as a Thanksgiving Turkey".

Many warehouses use propane-fueled forklifts due to their clean burning characteristics, which is safe for indoor use. You get the best of both worlds with propane: the low/safe emmissions and operational cost of electric, along with (relatively) superior power provided by an internal combustion engine. Plus, you don't have to wait for battery cells to recharge. Just refill the propane tank (takes just minutes), and and you're good to go.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Sue, LOL about the kibble commercial. Thanks for sharing.

The heartworm and other things that are treated are in what to me looks like a chewable pill. I've seen one daughter just put it in our Aussie's mouth and make him swallow it since he doesn't like its taste. he has never gagged or anything and it goes right down, but then she has the touch and knows just how to do it. I'd be afraid to try it and never have.

Did you know that Paul Newman's kibble for adult dogs is a better quality than anything in most vets' offices? Amazes me, and it is sold in our military commissaries, least some of them and I've got our dog on it, now. Well, half and half so far.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Doesn't that propane "odor" remind you of toe jams? Or some sort of undefinable organic scent.

It certainly smells dangerous enough to think to yourself, "hey buddy, anymore of this stuff leaks out and you're as good as a Thanksgiving Turkey".

Many warehouses use propane-fueled forklifts due to their clean burning characteristics, which is safe for indoor use. You get the best of both worlds with propane: the low/safe emmissions and operational cost of electric, along with (relatively) superior power provided by an internal combustion engine. Plus, you don't have to wait for battery cells to recharge. Just refill the propane tank (takes just minutes), and and you're good to go.
        Propane uses Ethyl Mercaptan and Natural Gas uses Tetrahydrothiophane as odorants to the tune of 25PPM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Propane uses Ethyl Mercaptan and Natural Gas uses Tetrahydrothiophane as odorants to the tune of 25PPM.
          So they make 40,000 gallons of propane every day?

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
            So they make 40,000 gallons of propane every day?
            That's per product as they also produce HD-5 Propane, but that 40K sounds a bit on the low side so I'm thinking they run a couple of batches of both standard and HD-5 stuff.

40,000 gallons would be the equivalent of eight standard propane tankers so I'm sure Tesoro's propane output is higher. Also Cheveron manufactures propane as well.
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 19, 2008, 03:58 AM.

Comment

They should come out with a propane odorant that smells like hickory or mesquite (kiawe), that doesn't burn off, but actually imparts its flavor into the food meat barbecued with it.

Did you know? The reef runway at Honolulu International Airport (HNL) was originally built with the lateral forsight that NASA could use it as an emergency landing site for the space shuttle. The reef runway was built in 1977 for $80 mil., and was also the first runway in the world to be built entirely off-shore.

Brings to mind Kansai International Airport, which is another modern marvel.

So far, the space shuttle has never had to land in Hawaii, , but wouldn't that would be quite a (historical) sight if it ever does!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

$80 million????!!!! what would it cost today?
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                  Exactly what I was thinking!!! There are homes with that kinda price tag now.

Comment

They should come out with a propane odorant that smells like hickory or mesquite (kiawe), that doesn't burn off, but actually imparts its flavor into the food meat barbecued with it.

Did you know? The reef runway at Honolulu International Airport (HNL) was originally built with the lateral forsight that NASA could use it as an emergency landing site for the space shuttle. The reef runway was built in 1977 for $80 mil., and was also the first runway in the world to be built entirely off-shore.

Brings to mind Kansai International Airport, which is another modern marvel.

So far, the space shuttle has never had to land in Hawaii, , but wouldn't that would be quite a (historical) sight if it ever does!
                    Ever wonder why the Nimitz viaduct is one massive concrete overpass that is straight and runs parallel to the airport? Take off those overhead signs and it makes for one hella of a runway.

Then there's the Kunia Tunnel...you know, the one nobody's supposed to know of it's existance

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      It wouldn't get built today. Too many protesters, Mufi would demand one specific kind of tarmac over any other choice, Mel would call it another unfair tax burden, AlohaKine would claim that the legislature was using false info for estimates, Timkona would decry the whole thing as typical liberal cognitive dissonance, Craigwatanabe would offer to build it for 1/10th the cost using only Home Depot cast-offs, Helen would devise a poll about it, Scrivener would turn it into a tie-breaking trivia question, and LikaNui would compare his ex-wife, Plaintiff, to the friction between the tires and the runway surface (causing another thread to be spun off debating whether or not it would fly - or blend - or earn whack-whacks from 1stwahine).

Then Sansei would tell us about the runway near his sister's place in SF.

Comment

LL's post #55 is the post of the day! Bwahahaha!!! High 5, LL!

Comment

Leo, you know us all-too-well.
                          Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          It wouldn't get built today. Too many protesters, Mufi would demand one specific kind of tarmac over any other choice, Mel would call it another unfair tax burden, AlohaKine would claim that the legislature was using false info for estimates, Timkona would decry the whole thing as typical liberal cognitive dissonance, Craigwatanabe would offer to build it for 1/10th the cost using only Home Depot cast-offs, Helen would devise a poll about it, Scrivener would turn it into a tie-breaking trivia question, and LikaNui would compare his ex-wife, Plaintiff, to the friction between the tires and the runway surface (causing another thread to be spun off debating whether or not it would fly - or blend - or earn whack-whacks from 1stwahine).
                          Did you know? When Magic Island, the vision of Henry Kaiser, was finally completed in 1972, a Star Bulletin poll was conducted to gather votes for an appropriate name for it, which included:
                          • Duke Kahanamoku Park
                          • Ala Moana Island
                          • Leapuna (coral promontory)
                          • Kuikahi (peaceful, quiet)
                          • Mokuokala (island of the sun)
                          • Moku Lealea (pleasure island)

Apparently "magic" must be indicative of it being built over a reef, which surely was a feat of that time, like the reef runway.

Politics must have stopped it from being considered being named "Kaiser Park", which would have been the most logical name for it.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Leo, you know us all-too-well.
                            As long as you all know it was written with great affection for each and every wonderful character inhabiting this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              As long as you all know it was written with great affection for each and every wonderful character inhabiting this board.
                              But of course.

Hey, you forgot about Miulang, who would compare the cost estimates of this $80 million runway with similar infrastructure projects at Sea-Tac.

And you, Leo, who would somehow turn an entire paragraph (or two) of your thoughts on the project into just one or two concise sentences.

And me, who would probably post a picture of some food I ate at an eatery in the airport area (just to stay on-topic).

------------------------------------------------

Did you know? Jack Lord of Hawaii 5-O fame was seriously considered to play the roll as Captain Kirk on Star Trek. But his conditions were that he co-produce and own a percentage of the show, which the creator was unwillling to accept, and cast William Shatner instead.

I think Jack Lord would have made a great Captain Kirk, and that would have been a cool way to tie the show with roots to Hawaii. Perhaps instead of a character named Sulu, they might have had a "Danno" instead. "Beam me up, Danno". lol

What's an interesting similarity between Jack Lord and William Shatner is that apparently they both were not liked very much off-camera by the cast and crew of the shows due to their egotistical attitudes. Must go with the package when you're this stern, good-looking man playing the lead roll of a hit tv series.

There's a lot of lead rolls I can think of that Jack Lord would have been a fitting actor.

You probably already know Jack spent his retirement and final years of his life living at the Kahala Beach condominiums here on Oahu. He was often seen walking around the area, but he suffered a bad case of Alzheimers, and was said to be mostly incoherent.

RIP Jack Lord.
                              Last edited by Pomai; April 20, 2008, 10:02 AM. Reason: But captain, the crack heads are comin', the crack heads are comin'!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hey, you forgot about Miulang, who would compare the cost estimates of this $80 million runway with similar infrastructure projects at Sea-Tac.

And you, Leo, who would somehow turn an entire paragraph (or two) of your thoughts on the project into just one or two concise sentences.

And me, who would probably post a picture of some food I ate at an eatery in the airport area (just to stay on-topic).
                                Oh, believe me, I had several others that I decided against using, including a much less nice one on myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X