Should UH retire Colt's jersey #15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should UH retire Colt's jersey #15?

KGMB9 posted up a non-scientific poll question (scroll down and look under the Salvation Army red kettle). So far the yea votes are leading the nay votes.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: Should UH retire Colt's jersey #15?

No way. Geez. It's too early to think of stuff like that.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just read somewhere that USC has retired the numbers of its seven Heisman Trophy winners, and that Illinois has retired only the jersey numbers of Dick Butkus and Red Grange.

Think about the illustrious histories of these schools' football teams. Illinois has fifteen alumni in the College Football Hall of Fame, and only two retired jersey numbers.

Colt has had a record-breaking career, but has he had the kind of career that warrants never allowing anyone to wear his number again? Ever? I say no. Let him win a Heisman, or wait until history and the nation decide that he's worthy of the College Football Hall of Fame. I'm as thrilled with this season's team's success, but please. Let's not get carried away!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Retiring college jerseys is silly. KGMB sports guy brought up how some big college school (maybe Georgia) didn't retire numbers but instead put the numbers of previous Heisman, All-American, NFL etc etc on the lockers of the current players using the same numbers.

It reminded them of the shoes they were expected to fill.

Hawaii is over acting and over celebrating as it is prone to do with a touchdown in the 1st quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Colt has had a record-breaking career, but has he had the kind of career that warrants never allowing anyone to wear his number again? Ever? I say no. Let him win a Heisman, or wait until history and the nation decide that he's worthy of the College Football Hall of Fame. I'm as thrilled with this season's team's success, but please. Let's not get carried away!
          Man, you're hard to please.

Comment

The story on me, among students here, is that I'm a lenient B but a really tough A.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I say if:

1) He wins the Sugar Bowl. Dramatic fashion is better for the legend...

AND

2) He donates like a million dollars after he gets the big payday in the NFL draft

then UH should retire his number. It shouldn't be free though, because the cost of his education wasn't free, nor were the perks .
              Last edited by Kittrick; December 13, 2007, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Naw. It's mad corny to retire a college jersey. They're just kids.

And if he donates money, which leads to UH retiring the #, it looks even dumber. It'd be like he paid them to have it retired. The school should just go ahead with improving the facilities that he blasted in the media with his donation
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Not yet. It's too early to measure his legacy to that standard. He's got to make the UH Wall of Honor first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    Naw. It's mad corny to retire a college jersey. They're just kids.
                    Collegiate sports no different than professional sports, especially in terms of commercializing and vying for airtime. Heck, I don't care much for professional sports as I do with collegiate sport, though Hawai'i don't really have a professional team to cheer for.

If they can retire numbered jersey/uni in professional sports level, why not in the collegiate level?

Comment

the lamest thing is that when you buy a jersey, like the colt brennan one, you can't have the name on the back unless you customize it because of NCAA rules. I wonder if that extends to jerseys they "retire"...

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Collegiate sports no different than professional sports, especially in terms of commercializing and vying for airtime. Heck, I don't care much for professional sports as I do with collegiate sport, though Hawai'i don't really have a professional team to cheer for.

If they can retire numbered jersey/uni in professional sports level, why not in the collegiate level?
                        Pardon my French, but I would refuse to nut ride college athletes.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          Pardon my French, but I would refuse to nut ride college athletes.
                          To ask a question... Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            To ask a question... Why?
                            Nothing lamer than idolizing amateurs to that degree. Make it to the pros before I care about what you do or what you have done.

flickr

Comment

#32, worn by Tommy Kalakukui, has been retired. He played in the 1930's and was the first UH football player to gain All-American status.

For baseball, coach Les Murakami and pitcher Derek Tatsuno had their numbers retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X