Should UH retire Colt's jersey #15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should UH retire Colt's jersey #15?

No. Let's see what he does after his UH career. I'm all for retiring Frazier tho.

Comment

Correction, it's Tommy KAULUKUKUI. Noted football writer Grantland Rice dubbed him "Grass Shack" after he returned a kick-off 103 yards for a TD against UCLA in 1935.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        Nothing lamer than idolizing amateurs to that degree. Make it to the pros before I care about what you do or what you have done.
        So for now, he's beneath you?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          So for now, he's beneath you?
          No. I'm not putting myself into the stratification that you're inferring. I'm just saying, I won't idolize someone unless they accomplish something at the uppermost level of football. That's it.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Who says about idolizing him? I just think we should praise him.

I'm not asking we should induct him in the Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame. That where his NFL jersey should be (if he accomplished well in the NFL).
            Last edited by Random; December 14, 2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Who says about idolizing him? I just think we should praise him.
              Same thing.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I just read somewhere that USC has retired the numbers of its seven Heisman Trophy winners, and that Illinois has retired only the jersey numbers of Dick Butkus and Red Grange.

Think about the illustrious histories of these schools' football teams. Illinois has fifteen alumni in the College Football Hall of Fame, and only two retired jersey numbers.
                There's a practical reason why football teams are reluctant to retire numbers, in comparison to baseball and basketball. In football, there's a heckuva lot more players involved! Start retiring numbers too liberally, and you could very easily start running out of numbers to issue to your current players. As it is, there's a whole bunch of UH players on this year's team that are sharing numbers. If you retire too many numbers, you could start having a situation where three players have to share the same number??? That would be too confusing!

I don't know about the NCAA, but in the NFL, the league discourages teams from retiring numbers. This is because they have strict rules regarding the range of numbers that each position is entitled to. If you begin retiring numbers, you might later have problems finding enough numbers for a certain position.

There's other ways to honor great players besides retiring their numbers, BTW. UH has its Sports Circle of Honor. Other teams hang banners/signs in the stadium with the player's names & numbers printed, although the numbers themselves are not retired.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Agreeing with Kam here. Let the next kid use the number to motivate him.

And what happens if a college retires too many numbers? Pretty soon we gotta use the 100's, and the jerseys aren't big enough for that.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    in the NFL, the league discourages teams from retiring numbers.
                    The greatest team in NFL history, the Oakland Raiders, is one of two teams, not including recent expansion teams, never to retire a jersey number. So it's weird sometimes seeing Marques Tuiasosopo wearing #8 (Ray Guy) or Rich Gannon wearing #12 (Ken Stabler), but whatever. The fact that you wore the silver and black all by itself is the honor.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      The greatest team in NFL history, the Oakland Raiders, is one of two teams, not including recent expansion teams, never to retire a jersey number.
                      Not exactly, Scriv.

There is one notable uniform number that the Raiders will never use again. That is #00, worn by hall of fame center Jim Otto. No Raider will ever don that number again, because the NFL disallowed using #0 or #00 on a uniform since the early 1970s. Otto (and maybe a couple of other players) who were already using zeros before this rule was established were grandfathered in and were allowed to keep their numbers until they retired.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Didn't U.H. once retired Al Noga's #54? #54 has been back.

Comment

The only number UH retired is #32, worn by Thomas Kaulukukui.

Comment

The only number UH retired is #32, worn by Thomas Kaulukukui.
                            That might be the only number officially retired by UH. But I noticed that since Timmy Chang's last season in 2004, no one has worn his #14.

Comment

Colt did very well and I'm proud of him but I'm not for retiring numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                That might be the only number officially retired by UH. But I noticed that since Timmy Chang's last season in 2004, no one has worn his #14.
                                Mehhh. Should we retire his #14?

Comment

Working...
                                X