Colt for Heisman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colt for Heisman

It never ceases to amaze me what folks in the media will put their name to for all to see without having throughly thinking things through.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/27/s...ry02.html#jump
    Originally posted by Ralph D. Russo
    "Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan threw three touchdown passes in a wild 42-35 victory over Purdue in the wee hours of Sunday morning for most Americans.

"Brennan is now three TD passes shy of David Klingler's NCAA record of 54 in 1990.

"But while Brennan's had a tremendous season for the Warriors (10-2), his assault on Klingler's mark is an another example of the way the NCAA has cheapened its records.

"Klingler's 54 TD throws came in 11 games. Brennan has already played 12 regular-season games and has a 13th next week at home against Oregon State. And Hawaii will play in a bowl game and those stats will count toward Brennan's final totals.

"Before the 2002 season, bowl stats didn't count."
    Kind of convincing huh? wait.

What It's All About

The average length of a college game in 2005 was roughly 3 hours, 20 minutes. The NCAA decided that was asking too much of its fans' attention spans. This is what the rulemakers came up with:

Rule 3-2-5:
    The game clock starts on a kickoff as soon as the ball is booted off the tee, not when the receiving team touches it.

Rule 3-2-5-e
    On a change of possession, the clock will start on the ready for play signal, not when the ball is snapped.

The new rules seem to be working. One random example: San Diego State's season opener vs. UTEP was its shortest game of the decade, lasting 2:52.
    Well the whole picture is that although there are more games to be played in 2006 vs 1990 is that the games today are much shorter than those played in 1990. And this guy is supposed to be a professional?

Does he also consider that Colt and June don't pad stats because he is normally sitting out the fourth quarter of a game? Did Klingler play in the 4th quarter of his blowouts?

Comment

Klinger once tossed 11 TDs (NCAA single game record) in a blow-out game. Talk about RUTS (running up the score)!

Comment

well well. looks like it was a good idea for me not to have emailed this guy directly. i emailed dave reardon instead.

Originally posted by dave reardon
        If you're referring to Russo, I'm not going to antagonize him too much though, since he has final say on the AP All-America team. I figure Samson for first or second team and Colt for second or third team.
        bah. east coast bias. make that BCC conf bias.

Comment

Colt Brennan was the subject of a decent amount of discussion on Boston's (and New England's for that matter) most listened to sports-talk radio station, which is WEEI-AM 850. Brennan and the Warriors were talked about during a segment of yesterday morning's "Dennis and Callahan" show. The general consensus among Dennis and Callahan and their callers was that Brennan was certainly worthy of consideration for the Heisman. I'm not sure if either of them have any real voting power in determining who gets the Heisman, but Callahan implied that if he was voting, he would probably give Brennan a second place vote behind Troy Smith. The East Coast has taken note of Brennan's exceptional season!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

This kind of cracks me up... A kid who's gonna be making millions is all hoo hoo over a local broadcaster!

Anyone know if she's single? (not for my sake...but for Colts)
            That's so cute.

But his girlfriend probably won't be too happy if she got ditched for Stephanie Lum.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

There appears to be a chance here to influence one vote for the Heisman Trophy. Colt is on the list and is currently in 2nd place behind Troy Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                There appears to be a chance here to influence one vote for the Heisman Trophy. Colt is on the list and is currently in 2nd place behind Troy Smith.
                Thanks for the link tutu!

EVERYONE VOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  That's so cute.

But his girlfriend probably won't be too happy if she got ditched for Stephanie Lum.
                  STALKER!

Just teasin.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    STALKER!

Just teasin.
                    As much as I hate to name drop...I know her. And him!

Just posted on the Advertiser: Colt didn't make Rivals.com's All-America Team. Oh well, at least he still got the ones that really matter.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Brennan not invited to Heisman ceremony
                      Despite leading the nation in numerous passing categories, Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan was not among those invited to attend the Heisman Trophy Awards ceremony set for Saturday. "I said it before that if I got invited to New York I would be very excited and grateful for opportunity," Brennan said today. "But I'm not disappointed. It would've been great to go to New York and represent Hawai'i and make a statement there, but we're grateful for the recognition we've been getting and that's just the way it goes."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        Bummers...

Comment

Snubbed. The invite was a longshot at best. The win an impossible dream.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Anyone think the OSU game made a difference? Or were local fans just far too optimistic?

Comment

I think the OSU game made a big difference. How you play in the spotlight is a big factor these days.

Comment

I'm going with the fact that the WAC just doesn't stack up to the PAC 10, Big 10 or SEC. And, sadly, it never will.
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X