Vick and his dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vick and his dogs

One thing on which I'm sure we agree here - the dogs themselves are innocent. It is the humans who raised 'em who should suffer the consequences. Unfortunately, as a society, we don't have any reasonable way to take care of these dogs (whose treatment to date qualifies as abuse), so they get euthanized in order to protect humans from potential harm. Utterly unfair, and we don't seem to have a flawless alternative. The human breeders pay a penalty - and the dogs die as a consequence.

Maybe the human penalty needs to be harsher? But then, Tim's folow-up question comes into play, regarding protection of cultural activities. Can we easily draw a line and say activities on one side are protected, ones on the other are prohibited? How easily can the line be adjusted? And doesn't said line then create the black-or-white distinction that I railed against earlier?

Tim calls that "cognitive dissonance," which I believe he defines as holding conflicting thoughts, opinions or philosophies simultaneously (though, technically, "c.d." is the discomfort or tension brought about by holding such conflicting thoughts, not the ability to have the thoughts themselves; most humans have that ability, liberal or not.) I believe he is mistaking it for contradictory or oxymoronic behavior. You know - like being a "compassionate conservative." (That's a joke, people.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      One thing on which I'm sure we agree here - the dogs themselves are innocent. It is the humans who raised 'em who should suffer the consequences.
      A simple solution: eliminate the human race.

(That's a joke, people.)
      Not my statement above.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        A simple solution: eliminate the human race.
        Have you seen this book yet?

Comment

Have you seen this book yet?
          Nope. I hope it supports the need for human termination, though.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Let me see if I got this straight. PETA don't want dogs to fight, and when they find these dogs, the best idea is to kill them.

Just another example of liberal cognitive dissonance. Stupid libs.
            Aren't they the same people that wanted Knute the polar bear to be put to death after being abandoned by its mother?

Comment

Post #16 indicates clearly to me that I may be the second most brilliant memeber of HT.

Protection of cultural activities gets front page above the fold almost every day in Hawaii. What would happen if discussing bones and dead people became as socially unacceptable as dog fighting? After all, I haven't heard of a human sacrifice at Kohola Heiau in 300 years.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Aren't they the same people that wanted Knute the polar bear to be put to death after being abandoned by its mother?
                Common misconception. PETA never got involved with Knut (the polar bear cub at the Berlin Zoo, abandoned by its mother.) Rather, a group called the Foundation for Bears claimed that they would rather see the cub euthanized than suffer the humiliation of being raised as a domestic pet (or words to that effect. Their words, not mine.)

Comment

For the purposes of this post let us presume that animal fighting in all of its forms is viewed differently by various cultures with some finding the fighting of particular animals acceptable. This post is not about whether fighting animals is good. The point I want to make is about Vick himself. I would imagine that there are many people who breed, raise and manage fighting animals who would never dream of drowning, electrocuting, strangling and torturing them. The behavior of Vick (and his crew) was that of a sociopath and what he did to the dogs deliberately and with apparent pleasure is what really disturbs me about this matter. The man is sick and he should be treated the same way he treated the dogs.

Comment

Oh yeah !!

Dog Racing Protesters LOLOL

Some cultural practices are okay and some are not. Depends on your culture. And if you have the power to squash other cultural practices, by all means, please do.

Bwahahaqhah...ooohhhohohohoh....bwahahahaha.....he ee heeee heeee ...oohhhooooo....bwahahahahaha....oh my stomach.....
                    Last edited by timkona; August 22, 2007, 01:55 PM.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      Some cultural practices are okay and some are not. Depends on your culture.
                      So - not taking sides on the dog racing, but help me out here, Tim. Dog racing is a long-standing and recognized "cultural practice" in which cultures again?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                        The man is sick and he should be treated the same way he treated the dogs.
                        Then as a society, we are sick to condone such punishment. Sorry, I never embrace the literal meaning of "an eye for an eye," like some other cultures.

P.S. I'm a hypocrite. I'd never conform to society's norms.

Comment

So - not taking sides on the dog racing, but help me out here, Tim. Dog racing is a long-standing and recognized "cultural practice" in which cultures again?
                          Miami? They have greyhound racing. Then again, I watched too many Miami Vice back in the days.

Then there's horse racing.

Comment

Miami? They have greyhound racing.
                            "Miami" is a culture? Man, I need to travel more...

Comment

Then as a society, we are sick to condone such punishment. Sorry, I never embrace the literal meaning of "an eye for an eye," like some other cultures.
                              I was expressing my opinion as it's quite clear our society would not sanction doing to Vick what he did to the dogs. Our society will just lock him up for a short time, eventually he'll get out and we can all hope he doesn't express his mental sickness on anyone or any animal again.

Comment

Duh, our society WOULD condone this treatment of humans to humans.

Ever heard of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini?

But don't worry. It's more fun to squash other cultures.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                                X