No announcement yet.

What's a good, cheap young adult car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a good, cheap young adult car?

I once wrote a blog entry on all the forms of transportation I'd owned. Started with a 50cc motorbike with a Harley nameplate (but made in Italy).

My first Hawai'i car was a 1961 Ford Falcon, 3-speed on the column, bench seats, and hood locks! I think that was a 189-cubic inch engine; who'd want it?
    Last edited by Linkmeister; January 28, 2006, 06:28 PM. Reason: change model year
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      You sure the seats aren't sagging with that age? Or maybe with all the power amenities the seat just needs adjusting?
      I'll see what I can do with the seating, but with my schedule, I won't be taking the bus home just to drive back to downtown for an even job. Ala Moana Center is cracking down on Heald people who park their cars there (some have evaded them by parking at other places, but I don't know where).

I wonder how much will a personalized plate will be? ...
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        I wonder how much will a personalized plate will be? ...
        More than you can afford right now Who's paying for the insurance? You or your parents? And what about the gas?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          More than you can afford right now Who's paying for the insurance? You or your parents? And what about the gas?

Miulang
          Right now, its all under my parents name, but when I get my license then they'll transfer ownership to me. And looks like they're paying for everything, which is cool. Atleast I don't have to drive a van to school or the mall.

Comment

How will they pay for your insurance if the car is under your name? And what about registration? When my 21-year old wanted to buy a new car and give up his old 86 Honda, I told him he'd have to assume ownership of that car first (it's under mine and my wife's name so he wouldn't have to pay insurance).

He said he wanted the car under his name because he was going to make the payments. Okay then why ask us to co-sign? Then he asks us to transfer the insurance coverage from the Honda to the new car he's gonna buy.

Yeah right, it doesn't work that way son. Your car, your insurance, your insurance bill, by the way being a young male 21-years old puts you in the highest risk bracket and thus the highest insurance costs.

Suddenly the reality hits and he's growing up real fast. Life is expensive and it costs money to get the things you want.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              How will they pay for your insurance if the car is under your name? And what about registration? When my 21-year old wanted to buy a new car and give up his old 86 Honda, I told him he'd have to assume ownership of that car first (it's under mine and my wife's name so he wouldn't have to pay insurance).

He said he wanted the car under his name because he was going to make the payments. Okay then why ask us to co-sign? Then he asks us to transfer the insurance coverage from the Honda to the new car he's gonna buy.

Yeah right, it doesn't work that way son. Your car, your insurance, your insurance bill, by the way being a young male 21-years old puts you in the highest risk bracket and thus the highest insurance costs.

Suddenly the reality hits and he's growing up real fast. Life is expensive and it costs money to get the things you want.
              All I can say is like father like son....I heard the same story over 25 years ago..something about a 79 Scirocco..what did he get?

Comment

And as long as your parents are paying all the expenses for the car, Adrian, it means you have to play by THEIR rules! Since you're going to be earning some money now, I'd suggest that you offer to pay for some of the expenses related to owning that car. Both your parents work hard to provide for you and your siblings (plus your big bro in college) and since you're still living at home, I think it would be a nice gesture for you to at least offer. If they say, "no need", then that's OK, but at least offer to help pay for something related to your living at home.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well, since I'm too lazy to make another thread, where is the best place to get a driver's licence? Should I go easy, or hard?

I'm all for being a better driver and all, but also I don't want to stress myself on the road test.

Comment

Wahiawa Precinct. Easiest road test but the inspectors can be a bit tough. The wait isn't too long either. Forget Honolulu.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yeah, I agree that the Wahiawa one is probably the easiest. I actually got lucky with this place because the guy who was testing me was a bit miffed with the last person he tested. When my turn came around, he was going off how bad the other guy was and gave me a simple test drive around the block.

Pearl City can be tough. I remember that nasty left turn, out of the facility, where you have to cross 4 lanes to get on the main road. I recall seeing many folks fail that part.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                        Yeah, I agree that the Wahiawa one is probably the easiest. I actually got lucky with this place because the guy who was testing me was a bit miffed with the last person he tested. When my turn came around, he was going off how bad the other guy was and gave me a simple test drive around the block.

Pearl City can be tough. I remember that nasty left turn, out of the facility, where you have to cross 4 lanes to get on the main road. I recall seeing many folks fail that part.
                        Yeah, if you're looking for one which tests your knowledge/skill, PC is it. Lots of things to screw up on at that one.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                          Yeah, if you're looking for one which tests your knowledge/skill, PC is it. Lots of things to screw up on at that one.
                          So are all of the tests at the various locations the same, or do they change with the instructor/skill level?

Comment

Adrian, get one lady selling her Honda!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

like you...
                              doing in a place like this?

Comment

No ACK!!!

Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X