Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out world! Adrian is driving once again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Passed My Drivers License Test!!!!111!!1!!!one

Originally posted by MadAzza
    Congratulations! Did you ever decide what kind of car you're getting?
    Well, my parents decided to give me the Ford Taurus, since I'll be driving all over the place, but knowing them, the process of transfering ownership will take ages (same with the city). So, I'm stuck with that car for a while. However, since my parents want to play it safe (and probably don't trust that I drive safely) I'm forbidden to drive until they do the ownership transfer.

As for the hunt, here's some major sticking points:
    - new or used?
    - people carrier, or gas saver?
    - SUV, or van? (basically the same as above)
    - how will I pay for all of this? (for the next two weeks, I'm in CNA class)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: I Passed My Drivers License Test!!!!111!!1!!!one

Originally posted by doc1456
      Well, my parents decided to give me the Ford Taurus, since I'll be driving all over the place, but knowing them, the process of transfering ownership will take ages (same with the city). So, I'm stuck with that car for a while. However, since my parents want to play it safe (and probably don't trust that I drive safely) I'm forbidden to drive until they do the ownership transfer.

As for the hunt, here's some major sticking points:
      - new or used?
      - people carrier, or gas saver?
      - SUV, or van? (basically the same as above)
      - how will I pay for all of this? (for the next two weeks, I'm in CNA class)
      Amazing you got your license with 15 mistakes. And since your parents gave you your car I suggest that you don't skimp on that congratulatory dinner.

As for the sticking points:

If you want late model then buy used (depreciation factored in on sale already)

If you'll be tooling around Honolulu all day then get a gas saver.

SUV's are nice but aren't the greatest for hauling stuff like a van can

How will you pay for this? I'd wait until you're out of your CNA class before attempting to pay for something.

BTW on your finances, you really should keep three months of reserve cash in your bank account because when you're ready to accept "accounts receivables" based on a Net-30, expect a 90-day delay on payments. That's pretty much how it is.

When you receive payment, set up a good ledger and deduct your income tax and excise tax and put it in another bank account. Some small business owners simply wait until it's time to pay the taxes and pull it out of operational expenses and find themselves not being able to cover their accounts payables for that time period.

What's left over can be used for car payments as operational expenses.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The final icing on the cake

I can't believe it, but it looks like my parents aren't dragging their feet. They did the ownership transfer and got me insurance all in a couple of days, while I have my last rides on TheBus (you appreciate driving a car when you ride TheBus knowing you could be listening to your own music loudly while on the freeway). I'm insured with Allstate, but my agent is located in Millilani, even though there's an agent right next to my CNA class (he's nice in person, but I guess his secretary was rude to my Mom, hence the reason why she went with another agent).

Now, I'll have to worry about gas and the fact that the car is literally falling apart (the front passenger window won't operate with its own switch. I have to operate it from the drivers side).

And about the vehicle hunt, some people are mentioning that a van will be a better option because of the gas mileages. If my CNA class wasn't this busy, then I'd ask my classmates to let me drive their SUVs and vans to do a bit of window shopping (amazingly, 12 of the 23 people who drive has pretty nice cars: all late model vehicles ranging in size).

But as long as this car won't fall apart on me, then I'm aiming towards a late spring vehicle purchase.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
        X