This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Walt Disney offered his incredible rail innovations free of charge to the City of LA in the 50s, and they said no. We could have used it wisely and
    created an island wide system that would have showcased us around the world as much as anything ever did. But yet here we are today debating the pointless.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Does that mean we can expect no tolerance of anti-rail hints without facts to back it up?
      Sorry, no. At least in my case: I'm an old fart with memory issues, limited understanding and limited access to current events. You may be way ahead of me and I may expect you to explain yourself. Please don't assume (there's that word again) that we are all up to speed. This is not a college-level discussion group, but a community interaction. The more details the better.
      IF there's no back-up details, expect at least some of us to question your sources. Some of us may be up to speed on some issues, but best not to make assumptions.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        Sorry, no. At least in my case: I'm an old fart with memory issues, limited understanding and limited access to current events. You may be way ahead of me and I may expect you to explain yourself. Please don't assume (there's that word again) that we are all up to speed. This is not a college-level discussion group, but a community interaction. The more details the better.
        IF there's no back-up details, expect at least some of us to question your sources. Some of us may be up to speed on some issues, but best not to make assumptions.
        Why a double standard? You will tolerate anti-rail assumptions but if it's anything slightly pro-rail, you need to grill it? I can agree with more details but if that's the expectation, any anti-rail points/suggestions/ASSUMPTIONS should have equivalent sources to back up. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a comical interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          Why a double standard? You will tolerate anti-rail assumptions but if it's anything slightly pro-rail, you need to grill it? I can agree with more details but if that's the expectation, any anti-rail points/suggestions/ASSUMPTIONS should have equivalent sources to back up. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a comical interaction.
          Hmmmm. I expect rail to prove itself, not the other way around. Same as with brain surgury - why do it if it hasn't been proven effective? THAT'S why a double standard. That is, if we are still on the same page.

I don't like arguing for argument's sake, so if that's what you are doing - - bye bye.

Frankly, (no reference to Frankie's Market), if there is a positive or negative reference to rail. I want to hear it. AND, if there is supporting documentation, I want access.

I like making up my own mind! I like that illusion of control. I have had connections with politics long enough to know that decisions are made in back rooms, not on polls or votes. Yet I still try to assert my opinions as much as possible.

It is easier to question unknowns than it is to prove assumptions. In fact, it is the job of the developers to answer those questions. Do you disagree?

I want to now it all: pro or anti rail. Otherwise, how can I make informed decisions?
          ~ ~

Comment

Losing bidders might delay rail project
            Contract award protests will result in uncertain delays for the city’s rail transit system, officials acknowledge.

Until the protests are resolved, the city cannot take action on the solicitation or award of the contract to design and build the rail cars. And state law does not provide a deadline by which a protest must be resolved.

Comment

No rush...

The Ansaldo group will probably drop out or otherwise not be around when/if things get further along. Just one of the multitude of pitfalls possibly to be over the years for this problem child.
              http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/20...a-900-million/

Comment

Interesting...
                "With things relatively quiet at the Capitol, we shift our attention to the other side of Punchbowl Street as we “flASHback” on the week’s news that amused and confused:

» Unhappy with private polls showing Oahu residents evenly split on the $5.3 billion rail project, the city paid $24,000 for its own poll asserting that 57 percent of the public support rail. Who says money can’t buy you love?"...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/f...a_new_one.html
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

In other less biased polls the percentage is about the same, but it's usually worded so that it's 'do you favor/not favor some kind of 'rail', to eleviate snarled traffic woes. EVERYBODY favors some kind of workable solution, and most that vote in favor just want it to happen, without considering all the negative points involved. So of course there's always going to be a huge bunch that is in the favor column, but put it to them in fairer and consise ways so they know warts and all, and watch the favor % drop dramatically.
                  Even at 50/50, for the City/rail pros to charge ahead when obviously there is faltering to outright angry public non-support is irresponsible at best.

Comment

The polls just show the frustration in the public's view that we're sick of not having a viable rapid transit solution. The polls are usually just yes or no, so of course the favor rail side is always high, but word it so it displays warts and all so it's represented fairer and watch the favoring % drop dramatically.
                    Even at 50/50, it is irresponsible at best for the City to ram this thru when there is so much public non-support and concern about it's 'success' and potential problems.

Comment

Hammer away, Ron. Your forceful opinions are ever-so-subtlely changing our minds.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Well, the dbl. post was unintended.

Comment

This thought in the middle of the night..... (woke me up, even!)

Q: What is rail designed to do?

A: Alleviate the traffic jam daily between (at least) Pearl City and Downtown.

Currently the plan is to have a number of stops between Kapolei and UH (or some such, I don't recall).

Fact: The H-1/H-210 corridor is jammed in the direction of traffic flow, but virtually empty in the other direction. (I used to commute from Kahalu`u to Kapolei.)

Idea: Have four train stations: One at the Western railhead, one downtown, one near Ala Moana, and one at UH.

People from Aiea to Kapolei can commute to the Kapolei station on empty roads, park free at the Kapolei station and rail it into town then bus (if necessary) to their final destination.

It seems to be a more efficient use of resources; you can have faster trains (bullet trains?), and empty freeways can be utilized.

OK, poke holes in the argument - it's just an idea.

K?
                          ~ ~

Comment

That's easy - did you notice the number of parking stalls planned for each station? Drivers will be a tiny portion of rail-riders because parking will be extremely limited [with no guarantee of finding a space once there] (unless the parking 'plan' is drastically revised). Parking will not be free, either.
                            Last edited by salmoned; June 8, 2011, 01:11 AM.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

And theft-free parking is even harder to find

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                This thought in the middle of the night..... (woke me up, even!)

Q: What is rail designed to do?

A: Alleviate the traffic jam daily between (at least) Pearl City and Downtown.

Currently the plan is to have a number of stops between Kapolei and UH (or some such, I don't recall).

Fact: The H-1/H-210 corridor is jammed in the direction of traffic flow, but virtually empty in the other direction. (I used to commute from Kahalu`u to Kapolei.)

Idea: Have four train stations: One at the Western railhead, one downtown, one near Ala Moana, and one at UH.

People from Aiea to Kapolei can commute to the Kapolei station on empty roads, park free at the Kapolei station and rail it into town then bus (if necessary) to their final destination.

It seems to be a more efficient use of resources; you can have faster trains (bullet trains?), and empty freeways can be utilized.

OK, poke holes in the argument - it's just an idea.

K?
                                Your proposal operates on the premise that every train rider will be driving to a station. What about those taking feeder bus routes, biking, or even walking? With four stations, each station services a much larger footprint and you potentially turn off those on the fringe of the footprint.

If there is a demand for an express train, that can happen with limited stop trains. But I would think if they can create a really convenient feeder bus system, that will be a better solution.

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                And theft-free parking is even harder to find
                                Is there such a thing as theft-free parking anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X