Gas Station Car-Washes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Station Car-Washes

I'm typing this while waiting in my car for my turn to go through Tom's Chevron's car wash on N. King Street. Richard's on Waiakamilo gave the discount based on the number of gallons you purchased (6 bucks if you pumped 8 gallons). Tom's charges 6 bucks if you pump 10 bucks' worth of gas or 5 bucks if you pump 20. I'm hoping to go through this thing on consecutive days to make up for my having missed a few weeks, so I only pumped 10 bucks.

So thanks for the recommendation, Lynn. This location is almost perfect for me.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      I'm typing this while waiting in my car for my turn to go through Tom's Chevron's car wash on N. King Street. Richard's on Waiakamilo gave the discount based on the number of gallons you purchased (6 bucks if you pumped 8 gallons). Tom's charges 6 bucks if you pump 10 bucks' worth of gas or 5 bucks if you pump 20. I'm hoping to go through this thing on consecutive days to make up for my having missed a few weeks, so I only pumped 10 bucks.

So thanks for the recommendation, Lynn. This location is almost perfect for me.
      Anytime, Scrivener! Please make a game for Disabled and Elderly folks like me. heheheh

Lynn (cause you neva did call me auntie!)
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No one recommends any on this side?

I'd wash my car myself, but get choke vehicles blocking my usual washing area.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Which reminds me, I saw that the Chevron on Waiakamilo Street has re-opened its car wash, with new equipment. Has anyone tried it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
            Is there any cheap ones on the leeward side?

I knew there's a reason why I hate the color white.
            Royal Kunia Union 76. Three different price range. $9.99 being the most expensive treatment.

Comment

Hawaii Kai Chevron has one; and my ticket I prepaid for when I filled the tank expired yesterday. Never had a chance to use it. I wonder if they entertain extending those prepurchases every once in a while. I had never inquired before. I'm probably SOL.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

FYI....the one at Waiakamilo across from REDLINE and IFUKU Radiator is NOW OPEN..AGAIN! Under new mgmt. They got a banner on the hedges promoting a "new car wash"

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                  Which reminds me, I saw that the Chevron on Waiakamilo Street has re-opened its car wash, with new equipment. Has anyone tried it yet?
                  I've tried it. Everything in it is new, and the thing shoots three different colors of soap on your car (pink, green, and yellow, I think). It's expensive, though: eleven bucks with a minimum gasoline purchase (twelve without).

Don't know if pictures interest you (because I can't imagine they would), but here are a few.

But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There are a couple of mechanical car washes in Mililani. One's at the Chevron across from Wal-Mart, and the other is at the Aloha Gas station across from McDonald's near the fire station.

The Chevron wash is a full setup. Only went once. On top of the charge for the wash, there's people standing around to dry your car, compelling you to tip. I'm too much of a cheapsake, and as I've noted before, the less I have to interact with people for some things, the happier I am. (Given past discussions here, Scrivener, you should be happy to know I've finally become a fan of the self-checkout stations at Wal-Mart, too.)

The Aloha Gas setup is much smaller. One of those arms that moves back and forth while your car remains stationary. There are three "grades" of wash, ranging from $3-$5 (discount for gas purchase), the only difference being how many passes you get with soapy water or with the drying vents. You can pay inside, or right at the machine with cash. Unless there's a line, you can be in and out with little fuss. Simple, cheap, quick. I like it.

I gotta say, I'm glad that most of these car washes again let you remain in the car while the big scary machinery does its business. I remember when litigation (or fears of litigation) prompted most to require you to get out and watch your car get pulled through. As a kid, I was quite disappointed by that development. Going through the monster wash at the McKinley Car Wash on Nimitz was sometimes the highpoint of my pint-sized week.

Comment

Is the one at Mililani Town Center now a Chevron? When it first opened, it was UnoCal, then Tesoro. I've gone there a number of times, especially when the van was particularly dirty. I've tipped the guys on those occasions.

I just went to the Aloha station across McDonald's ths past Saturday. You have to pay the cashier as the cash machine is taped over. Still $3.00-5.00 with a $1.00 discount for a gas purchase. One good thing is that the wash ticket is good for a week if the line is too long, so you can come back later for the wash.

The Shell station in Aiea next to HMC Karaoke (across the watercress farm fronting Pearl Ridge Shopping Center) also has a car washing facility similar to the Aloha station in Mililani.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        the thing shoots three different colors of soap on your car (pink, green, and yellow, I think).
                        Multi-colored soaps?!? What more could you ask for in a car wash (at risk of opening a discussion on your choice of the gender, appearance and attire - or lack thereof - of the attendants, that is?) Put this in the "lucky you live Hawai`i" basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Multi-colored soaps?!? What more could you ask for in a car wash (at risk of opening a discussion on your choice of the gender, appearance and attire - or lack thereof - of the attendants, that is?) Put this in the "lucky you live Hawai`i" basket.
                          OK, I'll risk it.

The Chevron over by Kāhala Mall frequently hosts fundraiser carwashes in which bikini-clad young women will wash your car. Who are these girls, anyway? Are they from high school clubs? Sports teams? And how come the other Chevrons don't do this too?

Comment

One bygone "GSCW" was Gas-N-Glo, who used to operate on the corner of Makaloa and Kalakaua, where the current Palama Market is, next to Don Quijote. IIRC, they closed shop some time in the 90's.

They were popular with tour bus and limo operators, as their automatic washer could handle larger vehicles, including those passenger vans that have enlarged fiberglass cabins. You remained in your vehicle going through at this place and there were 2 "dry boys" at the end that quickly shammied your car down.

They also had a good amount of powerful self-service car vacuums that were 50 cents per session. I'll never forget the time this hot asian chick pulled up next to me in her CRX and began vacuuming in a (really) miniskirt. What a teaser. lol Needless to say, I stayed a bit longer to finish cleaning my car.

My girlfriend goes to McKinley Car Wash. Costs just $8 for full-service wash and vacuum, including Armor All on the tires. She usually tips the guys $3-5 bucks. They really do a good job.

Personally I prefer to wash my car manually. It's a relaxing and satisfying way to spend a sunny Sunday morning. Plus, I do a better job detailing the rims - one of my car-cleaning fetishes. lol

It's so funny to see people going through McKinley CW on a rainy day.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                              OK, I'll risk it.

The Chevron over by Kāhala Mall frequently hosts fundraiser carwashes in which bikini-clad young women will wash your car. Who are these girls, anyway? Are they from high school clubs? Sports teams? And how come the other Chevrons don't do this too?
                              Glen:
                              Most of the time these are softball teams or cheering squads, or volleyball teams; and most of the time there's an element of parenthood present (ya leacherous ole FUT!). From what I understand the stations allow the orgs to do this for free; that is I'm thinking they don't even charge for the water; and that the group cleans up after itself.
                              Kinda makes one think of those topless car washes on the mainland, doesn't it?
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                Kinda makes one think of those topless car washes on the mainland, doesn't it?
                                Whoo!!! Not around this area, and certainly not at this time of year! In the PNW, it's colder outside than a witch's...umm, never mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X