Gas Station Car-Washes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Station Car-Washes

Do you guys have any of those self wash car wash places ? You can usually get your car done for about $4, if you work fast.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      Do you guys have any of those self wash car wash places ? You can usually get your car done for about $4, if you work fast.
      Ah! You know, those exist on-base in Hawaii, but none independently, as far as I know. And I have no idea why. I mean, talk about the perfect business model. Even more income per square foot than a parking lot, you know?

With all the apartment buildings in Honolulu, I can't believe there isn't a demand for one of those 'rent a garage' type places... basically covered bays where you can wash and wax your car, vacuum and detail, change your oil, just plain tinker with the hood up... all the things your condo management probably prohibits you from doing on the building premises.
      Originally posted by oceanpacific
      Is the one at Mililani Town Center now a Chevron?
      You know what? It might be a Tesoro. As you mention, I think it's changed owners/management at least once.
      Originally posted by oceanpacific
      You have to pay the cashier as the cash machine is taped over. Still $3.00-5.00 with a $1.00 discount for a gas purchase.
      Hmm. You know, I just presumed it worked. Or that you could at least fill it with quarters. Still, with a gas purchase, you can get a basic wash for a couple of bucks. Not bad at all. And it might be a small little thing, but it still excites the kids. Simple pleasures...

Comment

Honda Windward has built a brand new full-service car wash on Kahuhipa Street in Kaneohe. I think they call it an "auto spa" but I won't hold that against them. Looks like it'll be open for business in about a month.
        No gas station, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

An autospa. Huh. I had no idea it was such a growing business.

Of course, we all know to stay far, far away from the Tony Autoplex. But they, too, opened a big car wash of their own in Waipio, across from the Costco Gas pumps. I figure they just found another way to separate people from their money, and no doubt the automated machinery saves labor costs from having detailers on staff.

If they're going to have to wash their inventory regularly, why not open it up and charge the public for it? All they need now is their own gas station.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            If they're going to have to wash their inventory regularly, why not open it up and charge the public for it?
            If you're talking about Honda Windward's new place, it is going to be open to the public, as far as I know.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              However, the station I frequented (a Chevron on Waiakamilo I was employed at sixteen years ago) closed shop recently, and now it's been three weeks since my last wash.

Umm...scrivener you wash the car not yourself eh? Whhoooeeee three weeks since your last wash must have left you pretty rank

I know it was Christmas break but please for the sake of the kids I hope you washed before the start of class this morning!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Decades ago when I was a teenager in Hilo, I worked at a service station that offered free car washes for gas purchases of $5.00 (!!!) or more. That's when gas was under $0.50/gallon.

Anyway, we had a very particular regular customer who not only made us wash his car in stormy weather, but to sponge it dry ..... after which he drove off into the driving rain! Not only that, but AFTER we wiped his car dry, he'd grab the sponge and go over the entire car himself! What an insult!

Needless to say, that was one guy we never looked forward to seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Decades ago when I was a teenager in Hilo, I worked at a service station that offered free car washes for gas purchases of $5.00 (!!!) or more. That's when gas was under $0.50/gallon.

Anyway, we had a very particular regular customer who not only made us wash his car in stormy weather, but to sponge it dry ..... after which he drove off into the driving rain! Not only that, but AFTER we wiped his car dry, he'd grab the sponge and go over the entire car himself! What an insult!

Needless to say, that was one guy we never looked forward to seeing.
                  Hey hey hey!!! But I never kept the sponge!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

McKinley Car Wash works for me because of not only the gas and wash, but the vaccuming and being one of the few "Full-Serve" service stations, which are few and far between. Although the car washes similar to the ones at Pearl Kai and Hawaii Kai Chevron do an OK job, they don't fully clean off any "problem" bird doo-doo. That's why McKinley works for me, since the guys wiping down your car will get anything the automated wash missed. I only started going last year after I saw folks with expensive European cars frequenting the lines. If someone with a BMW or similar car can trust their cars there, it must be OK for my not-as-expensive car.

BTW, avoid going around lunch time or you'll take at least half an hour to finish the who deal. Non-peak times, like right after they open or right before they close have worked best for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X