Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Ok... to lighten things up...

I'm amazed someone hasn't chimed in and said... see I told you to be prepared!

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      Those of you at home can stop at the Honolulu traffic camera site for views of the traffic and the overpass in question. Pictures refresh every few minutes. You can click on the map to check other cameras out, but note that several in the Pearl City Area along Kam Hwy. are not working. Here is the link.

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/cameras/fastcheck.htm#cams

On this link you can click on the map (the little red C's):

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/cameras/pearlcity/
      I have been checking those since before the 5 p.m. news, when Kimo called to ask me what the hell was going on, but they haven't been much help this time because of those nonworking cams. I'm off work today, so I didn't even know about the problem until I checked starbulletin.com and thehawaiichannel.com.

I've been trying to help Kimo figure out when and how to get on the road. He's stuck in the Halawa Heights area. I just talked to him on the phone and he is wondering if there is a restaurant in the Halawa Heights Road/Ulune Road area. Any suggestions? He is just sitting there in traffic now.

Thanks for any suggestions!
      MadAzza

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Ok... to lighten things up...

I'm amazed someone hasn't chimed in and said... see I told you to be prepared!

Manoa, this is not to be taken lightly. PZ is still out there. What you just posted is uncalled for.

People are out there having a difficult time getting home for hours.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Manoa...Staci has a ticket free of change fees, thank goodness. And she easily got a seat for tomorrow. She was surprised that each time she called American Airlines she got a reservations agent in Honolulu who was aware of the situation. They told her she was the first to call. That was probably because we broke down and knew without a doubt she'd miss her flight. Others probably waiting 'til the last minute. There was no way to even get a taxi at that point. We wondered how many of the people caught in Nimitz and Dillingham traffic were tourists trying to make a flight.

Auntie...I have AAA so the towing was "free"! We ended up with a AAA dispatcher on the mainland and trying to explain our location 'Hawaiian style' was a challenge but she was a sweetheart so we turned it into a comedy routine! I will try to collect for car repairs but have no idea how successful I'll be. I kept an eye on the temperature gauge and it never hit the panic point but then, all of a sudden, steam came pouring out from under the hood and the steering and brakes locked. It was a huge effort to navigate the car to the side of the road. When I looked in my rear view mirror I saw all the water in the road.

An interesting evening to say the least! The good news? Another 12 or so hours with my kid!!! We're having a slumber party! Stac is already out like a light. So much for the party part!

Comment

1stwahine:

I know...that's why I was trying to lighten it up!

I feel sorry for those stuck on the roads... away from loved ones in Hotels...etc.

i just wanted to lighten it up...

there was a previous mention about people having fun during these times...and that's all I was trying to do...

Why do I find myself explaining this... to you ?

Comment

Maddie, Off hand the only places I can think of that is near Halawa would be Stadium Mall but the traffic there is awful. If he goes right it's Aiea - moa worse. His best bet is when he reaches Bob's Big Boy after Kaiser Hospital.
              Take (Moanalua Freeway) toward EWA and exit at Fort Shafter, Ahua Street and follow sign to Ahua Street, then make a right and go straight into Bob's Big Boy.

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; September 5, 2006, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Don't you have a motorcycle Madazza?

Tell him for park somewhere and go pick him up on the cycle. Just be as legal as possible, and watch out for those opening doors. Then later tonight go p/u the car.

Dunno... there was talk about the use of scooters to deliver water earlier...why not use it as a means for a pick up?

Comment

Ah... the prospect of getting home to see who was the next person to give Manoa whacks was one of the things that kept me going.

I actually got home a little after 11 p.m. After spending a few minutes draining my bladder (!), I decided to stretch out and decompress. I had a splitting headache on top of being starved silly. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to eat or die.

Watched the 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. newscasts, laughing heartily at the traffic dudes saying, "Well, at least things are moving..." Shook my head at the news that the crane was not permitted and not on the appropriate "low" trailer.

Listening to commute stories called into local radio stations, it seems some folks were luckier than others. We went with Nimitz and took five hours. But it seems staying on the viaduct would've been a better call, and taking Moanalua freeway and getting creative near Halawa/H-3 would've shaved even more time off the trip. But it was no picnic for anyone, I'm pretty sure.

The cars pulled over near the Ewa end of Nimitz still stand out in my mind. It was practically an impromptu picnic.

Oh! To finish my semi-live travelogue... after my post from near Makalapa (I hit submit just moments before the open wireless network faded out of range), things started to free up around the Stadium/Salt Lake Blvd. And by Kaonohi St., where I used to live, the effects of the DOT's traffic light overrides on Kamehameha Highway were clear. (So, kudos to them for trying to do something...) It was non-stop from there all the way through Pearl City and onto the H-2, where of course everyone was flying along at breakneck speeds.

Man, tutusue, your story takes the cake. That AAA driver was indeed a prince, and you're right, there wasn't much anyone could do, so it was all about going with the flow and keeping your head on straight. I'm sure there were road range incidents, but for the most part the folks I saw were in remarkably good spirits. The "we're all in this together" sense.

People pulled over were chatting with each other. Folks were rocking out to music from other people's cars. There were quite a few horns honked, but also a surprising number of gracious acts of the merging variety. One caller to KSSK used the evening's live dedications show to flirt with cute guys in the next car. I saw bus drivers letting people off to stretch out, then collect 'em and continue on. I think I also saw a motorcyclist pick up a stranger from a bus stop (the fact that the would-be bus rider was wearing a miniskirt probably helped her cause).

Not at all something I want to repeat, and the larger implications of our overtaxed infrastructure are certainly troubling. But definitely an unforgettable experience, and one I perversely enjoyed (and partially documented), like any sicko journalist would.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    I will try to collect for car repairs but have no idea how successful I'll be. I kept an eye on the temperature gauge and it never hit the panic point but then, all of a sudden, steam came pouring out from under the hood and the steering and brakes locked. It was a huge effort to navigate the car to the side of the road. When I looked in my rear view mirror I saw all the water in the road.
                    Once again, I'm glad everything turned out great for Staci and you. As for you collecting on the car repairs...please let us know. I can just imagine the countless of others who encountered similiar or worse problems tonight because of this incident. The monetary damages is unimaginable to consider at this point and time. No one knows how many were affected. Or what kind of damages occurred out of this mishap.

Welcome back PZ!!!!! Now I can go moemoe for a lil bit.hehehehe

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 6, 2006, 12:06 AM.

Comment

By the way, I'm surprised scrivener didn't mention that he knew better than anyone when my Treo smartphone battery finally gave up the ghost. As, no doubt moments after reading my post mentioning its imminent demise, he figured it was the perfect time to call me! Quite literally the last words transmitted were him saying, "Well, I better let you go, you don't want your phone to die as you never know when yo..."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        I actually got home a little after 11 p.m. After spending a few minutes draining my bladder (!), I decided to stretch out and decompress. I had a splitting headache on top of being starved silly. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to eat or die.
                        ------
                        Not at all something I want to repeat, and the larger implications of our overtaxed infrastructure are certainly troubling. But definitely an unforgettable experience, and one I perversely enjoyed (and partially documented), like any sicko journalist would.
                        So glad you made it home! I can sign off now and wonder what tomorrow will bring. Best to everyone in your household - I'm sure they're happy to have you safely home.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                          Best to everyone in your household - I'm sure they're happy to have you safely home.
                          Sort of. They were all fast asleep! (The wife insisted she'd wait up... but the wife also had to wrangle three kids all evening.) I should be asleep too, come to think of it. Thanks for the good thoughts, though. In all tonight's absurdity, you all made sure there were more smiles than swear words!

Comment

I'm glad I gave you motivation to get home PZ

And I've learned a thing or two...the main thing is that this island really is insanely overpopulated.

If people become dependant on the rail...and then people still use the highways as population expands and grows... can you imagine the chaos everytime the Rail breaks down for some odd reason?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Maddie, Off hand the only places I can think of that is near Halawa would be Stadium Mall but the traffic there is awful. If he goes right it's Aiea - moa worse. His best bet is when he reaches Bob's Big Boy after Kaiser Hospital.
                              Take (Moanalua Freeway) toward EWA and exit at Fort Shafter, Ahua Street and follow sign to Ahua Street, then make a right and go straight into Bob's Big Boy.
                              Thanks, Auntie! I'll let him know.

Manoa, no, I am not going to jump on my motorcycle and go pick him up! ... for several reasons, among them 1. my bike will have no current registration until later this week, 2. I have a solo seat and he would not do well on my back fender, and 3. I don't want to piss off several thousand motorists. :-D
                              Last edited by MadAzza; September 6, 2006, 12:38 AM.

Comment

good enough explanation...

It's late now... I'm not out that way... is it really still crazy that way?

Wonder how many people will be taking tomorrow off?

Comment

Working...
                                X