X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    NCL also announced they are pulling their ship the Norwegian Wind out of the Hawai'i market, which means less traffic for Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Hilo, Kona and Lahaina too. With both ships leaving, more than 1,000 crew members will be displaced too, many of them who are local residents.

Miulang
    I think they will be offered opportunities to transfer if they really want to. As for Pride of Hawaii, the reality is that we won't be seeing that ship coming back at all. "Temporary" sounds less harsh. If it was truly indeed temporary, why would they be planning to rename Pride of Hawaii and also repaint it? These things don't happen on a whim.

Comment

In thinking about this further (and after hearing about the suicide truck bomber in Baghdad this morning), I think it goes even beyond the State and PUC: it might be a Federal security requirement (unattended trucks could pose a bomb threat). If it is a federal regulation, there would be no way to get around it, particularly since HSF is so heavily financed through federal loan guarantees.

Miulang
      Maybe but seeing how things are in Iraq, if someone really wanted to blow up HSF, having a driver with the truck ain't gonna change that. Suicide bombers anticipate losing their lives in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Maybe but seeing how things are in Iraq, if someone really wanted to blow up HSF, having a driver with the truck ain't gonna change that. Suicide bombers anticipate losing their lives in the process.
        I didn't say it was a good policy, but it might be a federal policy nontheless. The first World Trade Center bombings were done with Ryder trucks loaded with explosives that were left parked in front of the buildings and detonated remotely. Maybe the prevailing thought is "our" domestic terrorists wouldn't be suicide bombers but would try to destroy things and people but live to see another day. That's why the cops freak out over "suspicious packages" left lying around unattended.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; April 12, 2007, 02:08 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Her name is officially "Alaka'i".

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• say What? , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

-- Her name is officially "Alaka'i". -- Miulang

The "Hawaiian" blessing for this one must've been a good one! Or is it blessed yet? " Who the hell cares, its got a Hawaiian name and that's all we need in Hawaii and Kauai " ... then those of Hawai'i or of Kaua'i (the Alaka'i swamp) say 'What? What is with corporatUSt$ taking their Hawaii and adding okina? They bless their boat with their arrogance (and their apostrophe mark) and bless their self-righteousness with "private equity" consortium$' bogUS wealth built on the future they mortgaged fiscally and ecologically for generations yet conceived, muchless born, educated and taxed to make good on corporatUSt repayment$/promise-sorry note$.'
            Last edited by waioli kai; April 14, 2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I didn't say it was a good policy, but it might be a federal policy nontheless. The first World Trade Center bombings were done with Ryder trucks loaded with explosives that were left parked in front of the buildings and detonated remotely. Maybe the prevailing thought is "our" domestic terrorists wouldn't be suicide bombers but would try to destroy things and people but live to see another day. That's why the cops freak out over "suspicious packages" left lying around unattended.

Miulang

Miulang, I think you are getting the 1993 WTC bombings mixed up with the 1995 Oklahoma City Courthouse bombing. As far as I recall, McVeigh parked Ryder trucks with ammonia nitrate in front of the Murrah Federal Building.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

• Re: say What? , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                -- Her name is officially "Alaka'i". -- Miulang

The "Hawaiian" blessing for this one must've been a good one! Or is it blessed yet? " Who the hell cares, its got a Hawaiian name and that's all we need in Hawaii and Kauai " ... then those of Hawai'i or of Kaua'i (the Alaka'i swamp) say 'What? What is with corporatUSt$ taking their Hawaii and adding okina? They bless their boat with their arrogance (and their apostrophe mark) and bless their self-righteousness with "private equity" consortium$' bogUS wealth built on the future they mortgaged fiscally and ecologically for generations yet conceived, muchless born, educated and taxed to make good on corporatUSt repayment$/promise-sorry note$.'

I...am amazed here. Waioli Kai has finally uttered an emotional statement!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                  Miulang, I think you are getting the 1993 WTC bombings mixed up with the 1995 Oklahoma City Courthouse bombing. As far as I recall, McVeigh parked Ryder trucks with ammonia nitrate in front of the Murrah Federal Building.
                  No, the first WTC bombing in 1993 was also done via a rented Ryder truck parked in an underground garage at the WTC:
                  [Agents and bomb technicians of the U. S. Treasury Department's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) responded to the scene of the blast. An ATF bomb technician subsequently found the axle in the bomb crater with the VIN of the Ryder truck that was used to contain the explosives. Further investigation by ATF found that the vehicle had been rented by a Palestinian named Mohammad Salameh. Yousef's friends reported the van was stolen in an attempt to slow investigators down.
                  Miulang

Comment

We need to ban Ryder trucks

Comment

An interesting Breaking News item in the Advertiser at this link today, which says:

Superferry offers reduced fares for kids, seniors

"The Hawaii Superferry today announced reduced fares for children, senior citizens and retired military personnel for service to Maui and Kaua'i scheduled to begin in July.
                      "One-way fares for those groups is $41 Tuesday through Thursday, and $51 Friday through Monday. The one-way base fare for adults is $52 for Tuesday through Thursday, and $62 for Friday through Monday. The one-way fare for children younger than 2 is $17 any day of travel. Discounts for tickets booked on the Internet will be available."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        An interesting Breaking News item in the Advertiser at this link today, which says:

Superferry offers reduced fares for kids, seniors

"The Hawaii Superferry today announced reduced fares for children, senior citizens and retired military personnel for service to Maui and Kaua'i scheduled to begin in July.
                        "One-way fares for those groups is $41 Tuesday through Thursday, and $51 Friday through Monday. The one-way base fare for adults is $52 for Tuesday through Thursday, and $62 for Friday through Monday. The one-way fare for children younger than 2 is $17 any day of travel. Discounts for tickets booked on the Internet will be available."

Wonder if there's any senior citizen discount on the advanced web fare which shows $47/$57 nonpeak/peak?

Comment

What about a monthly pass. That would be kinda neat.

Comment

• Re: say What? , Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 4

Her name is officially "Alaka'i".
                            Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                            Errrr...

That Honolulu Advertiser article didn't say that the name was Alakaʻi. It said that the name was Alakai.

One of two vessels to be used for ferrying people and cars between O'ahu and the Neighbor Islands was christened today in Mobile, Ala., where it was constructed. The 350-foot-long ship was named "Alakai," which means "ocean path," officials said. "It's seen as a name deep in Hawaiian tradition and culture, really as the one to move us forward," said John Garibaldi, Hawaii Superferry president and chief executive officer, by phone from Mobile this morning.
                            Not Alakaʻi. Ala-kai. Like the bastard stepchild of Ala Wai and Hawaiʻi Kai. So waioli kai, it wasn't the corporatUSt$ who stuck the ʻokina in there... it was Miulang.

(I wonder if, analogously to the "Kai" in Hawaiʻi Kai actually meaning Kaiser and not "ocean", the "Ala" in this ship name doesn't mean "path" but actually is a homage to its place of construction... Alabama? )

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              What about a monthly pass. That would be kinda neat.
                              Neat but doubtful. Don't think airlines offer a monthly pass. Though rumor that Hawaiian had something like that in the 90s.

Comment

Neat but doubtful. Don't think airlines offer a monthly pass. Though rumor that Hawaiian had something like that in the 90s.
                                No, it was MidPacific Air in the 80s (maybe early 90s). I had a friend who lived in Hilo but worked in downtown Honolulu. Flew home every day. Had a beater car that he parked in airport industrial area.
                                Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Working...
                                X