This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

So the Hawaii Superferry is BYOW, eh? And while there are ramps, you're on your own wheeling your way along? Good to know.

I'm pretty sure these services are courtesies, and not required, and at this point pre-launch it sounds like they've opted not to provide them. I suppose if their primary competition is air travel and airport services, it's certainly a competitive concern. But, well, airports come with a mountain of additional headaches (for those without special needs, at least!), and frankly I'm not sure the Superferry is going for the same market as Aloha, Hawaiian, and go!

Until such time as one or two of the airlines are driven or sued out of business, the Superferry ain't gonna be able to compete on cost. I did an imaginary booking to Kauai, and would be out a huge chunk of change versus the same trip on Hawaiian and a rental car. People who will travel by sea and bring vehicles with 'em are not gonna be bargain hunters. I thought it was funny that the secretary reportedly said, "We're not a cruise ship!" When I'd put 'em closer to that end of the spectrum than an airline.

It's a new but tough market for 'em, that's for sure. They're going to have to balance the additional "courtesies" against their costs. They may decide, or may have already decided, that people who need more than access ramps and other ADA requirements are customers they can live without.

Fran, if they provided a wheelchair and a porter to get you on the Superferry, would you have still taken the tour? I mean, to see all the nooks and crannies on board? Presuming if, like the airport, you only got to borrow their chair and staffmember for that first fifty yards. A tour is considerably more trying than actually taking a trip on this thing, wherein you'd just find a comfy chair near the bar and relax for several hours!
    Last edited by pzarquon; July 28, 2007, 01:37 PM.

Comment

actually, yes - I would have gone ahead with the tour. On board, there are chairs to sit in to rest. No chairs while waiting in a security check line or other check in lines. Thats the major problem.

I'm not going to waste any time on this issue. I don't think its an ADA issue, merely accomodation to passengers. I'm sure they have their okoles well covered on ADA issues.

I said what I felt needed to be said in my email. If the issue is resolved and the courtesy extended, I will certainly plan on taking SF often. If not, then I will keep on flying. Either way, I'll get where I need to go!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm guessing that there are insurance and liability issues at play here. I hope there's a simple answer and a simple solution.
        As for the unreturned phone call, that should be no surprise. The marketing folks are undoubtedly swamped with calls and requests on a day that they're hosting hundreds if not thousands of people. They probably won't even hear the message until tomorrow.
        Please keep us posted on all of this...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I watched Ryan's live webcast on the Superferry today. There was a person in one of those electronic personal movers on board... you know the thing slightly larger than a wheelchair... electric scooter or whatever they are called. My question is how that person got on the passenger deck from the parking deck. I would assume there is an elevator somewhere in the ship to accommodate people who cannot climb stairs. Did not notice that when I visited the Superferry though.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I'm guessing that there are insurance and liability issues at play here. I hope there's a simple answer and a simple solution.
            As for the unreturned phone call, that should be no surprise. The marketing folks are undoubtedly swamped with calls and requests on a day that they're hosting hundreds if not thousands of people. They probably won't even hear the message until tomorrow.
            Please keep us posted on all of this...
            I made the phone call yesterday morning, plenty of time for her to respond - even into the evening. I know she works late because I had previously gotten an email regarding the prior tours, sent by her at 11pm. If I had left a message on an office voice mail, then yes - don't expect a call-back until Monday. But, this was her cell phone which presumably was on her person.

If this is an insurance issue or liability issue, they need to make a disclaimer of some sort visible in their materials. To ask on their reservation form if one needs "special assistance" and then not respond if they are unable to provide the assistance requested is very poor customer service.

I'm a business person & understand the protocol of returning calls. I've also worked for a PR firm in the past - I understand about customer relations. The point is moot at this time. If someone responds to my email, then I will discuss it with that person. Until then, nothing more can be accomplished by discussing the matter on HT.

Originally posted by mel View Post
            I watched Ryan's live webcast on the Superferry today. There was a person in one of those electronic personal movers on board... you know the thing slightly larger than a wheelchair... electric scooter or whatever they are called. My question is how that person got on the passenger deck from the parking deck. I would assume there is an elevator somewhere in the ship to accommodate people who cannot climb stairs. Did not notice that when I visited the Superferry though.
            Yes, there are apparently what was described to me as "lifts" to move wheelchair passengers. and ramps rather than stairs to move between sections of the boat.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              I was so looking forward to touring the Alaka`i today ... they too can enjoy a trip aboard the Alaka`i.
              Pssst...remember, it's "Alakai," not "Alaka`i" - different meaning.

Sorry to hear about the failure to accomodate your needs here, Fran. Let's hope they look at it as an "oops, she's right - we failed to deal with this in the best way we could; let's correct that" situation. Then they offer you a free pass as an apology, too.

Comment

That was great. What a crowd, too. Even with the controlled guest list, the whole place was abuzz. And with good reason. It is indeed an impressive, attractive vessel. A well-appointed hotel lobby on the sea.

Every amenity made me think of sitting in an airplane seat, crammed in and fiercely controlled, being drained of my energy and patience. The wide aisles, tables, snack bar and even kids' play area made me cringe at the thought of taking kids on another interisland flight. Even sitting still, the Superferry was a pleasure to be on. Can you imagine getting to your destination and not wanting to get off your transport as quickly as possible?

Anyway. It's clear at every level that the Superferry ain't out to compete on price. They're there for everything else! There'll be food -- real food, from pasta dishes to spam musubi and saimin. There are airplane-style seats, small coffee tables, and large booths. (The large booths -- six on each side of the center cabin -- were the only place I saw prominently placed power outlets.) For $20 extra you get to ride in the Hahalua Lounge. Sure, you get a free drink and pupu, you have comfier chairs, and reading material (i.e. The Honolulu Advertiser). But you're really paying for the view out those front windows. It really is something.

An interesting side-effect of all that gorgeous glass, though? THe Hahalua Lounge is actually kinda hot!

The car bay will hold over a hundred cars and several larger vehicles. They had a UPS truck parked inside to illustrate! Despite all the creature comforts, it looks like the business market is a big part of their strategy.

You can watch every minute of our tour, shuttle in to shuttle out, right here. A special treat (which will later be included in my podcast): an interview with Terry O'Halloran, director of business development for Hawaii Superferry.

As to the accessibility issue, I gotta tell you, porters and wheelchairs at the pier aside, there seemed to be a lot of attention paid to disability-related details. Heck, there were easily half a dozen, perhaps more, folks rolling around in their motorized scooters. There was a restroom big enough to roll one of those scooters right into. The aisles were wide, there were ramps everywhere, and "rollers" and "strollers" (biped and baby!) coexisted surprisingly well.

Indeed, it seemed like many of the chair-bound visitors had the rapt attention of a crewmember, and every conversation (including one at the door of that bathroom, which you can hear in my tour video) seemed to be, "How can we accommodate you? What would work better?" O'Halloran even explicitly mentioned those with limited mobility in my interview -- how they were especially happy to give a travel option to people who never get on airplanes.

Anyway. The "live" video is available now, I'm uploading photos tonight, I'll have an edited set of clips up soon, and after that, my interview with O'Halloran on the next HawaiiUP. Enjoy!

Comment

• I'm sure there are many accomodations aboard the boat for those with limited mobility. However, one must be able to get aboard the boat to enjoy these amenities.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Pssst...remember, it's "Alakai," not "Alaka`i" - different meaning.

Sorry to hear about the failure to accomodate your needs here, Fran. Let's hope they look at it as an "oops, she's right - we failed to deal with this in the best way we could; let's correct that" situation. Then they offer you a free pass as an apology, too.
                  Leo, thanks for the correction. I was wrong in my use of the okina. I guess that will cancel out any "oops" on their part right?
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    I'm sure there are many accomodations aboard the boat for those with limited mobility. However, one must be able to get aboard the boat to enjoy these amenities.[...]
                    Fran, it's almost starting to sound like you might've been the victim of a disgruntled, stressed out employee rather than the Super Ferry's inability to accomodate you.

Regardless...bummers that you were not able to take the tour.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      As to the accessibility issue, I gotta tell you, porters and wheelchairs at the pier aside, there seemed to be a lot of attention paid to disability-related details. (...) Indeed, it seemed like many of the chair-bound visitors had the rapt attention of a crewmember, and every conversation (including one at the door of that bathroom, which you can hear in my tour video) seemed to be, "How can we accommodate you? What would work better?" O'Halloran even explicitly mentioned those with limited mobility in my interview -- how they were especially happy to give a travel option to people who never get on airplanes.
                      As expected, then, it seems that Fran merely had the bad luck to speak on the phone with a single grumpy employee who was undoubtedly highly stressed due to the major event and giant crowds. That's a shame, but nobody's perfect and cheery 100% of the time, especially employees new to the job, and at a start-up level at that. It sounds like Fran will indeed get an apology shortly. (And no need for whack-whacks to SF from Aunty Lynn, either. )
                      Mahalo for the excellent report and photos, Ryan. Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet. What's the run-time on it? (I want to allow enough time to watch the complete show.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• I truly appreciate all the very sincere interest in my problem with SF. However, until someone from there actually responds to me with some details, I will continue to be a bit disgruntled with their service. From PZ's pictures, it looks to be a very long walk onto the boat. I wonder - how long did they stand in the security line to get out to the entrance of the boat? These are the things I have problems with. Once actually ON the boat, there shouldn't be any problems and as several commented, there were lots of staff trying to be helpful to those on tour. Where I and many others like myself need assistance is getting ONTO the boat. Same as the airport - If I had to line up & stand for half hour or more for the security check, then walk all the way out to the gates, I would never be able to fly. Thats why the curbside porters are so appreciated. and its certainly not a free service - each porter gets at least $10 tip!

You're completely right LN -no need for any whacks. Just wait to see what SF has to say when/if they reply to me. If they don't show me the courtesy of a reply, that will be another story.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Fran, it's almost starting to sound like you might've been the victim of a disgruntled, stressed out employee rather than the Super Ferry's inability to accomodate you.

Regardless...bummers that you were not able to take the tour.
                        My problem with the "disgruntled stressed out employee" is she was extremely rude & refused to answer any questions or direct me to someone who could. Maybe SF DOES have the assistance I was looking for - but the operator did such a good job as "gatekeeper", that she didn't allow me to speak to anyone beyond her, or above her in the SF hierarchy to find out.

I have no problem with not getting a tour - that is not the point of any of my postings. I would be pretty pathetic to be whining about that since many were unable to take a tour. This isn't about me as an individual. Its about what kind of services they are going to be offering the community, which includes people of all ages, sizes and levels of mobility.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                          My problem with the "disgruntled stressed out employee" is she was extremely rude & refused to answer any questions or direct me to someone who could. Maybe SF DOES have the assistance I was looking for - but the operator did such a good job as "gatekeeper", that she didn't allow me to speak to anyone beyond her, or above her in the SF hierarchy to find out.[...]
                          That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Thank you for doing it better than I did!!!

Comment

As promised, a five-minute video recapping the special preview tour of the Hawaii Superferry. (If you want to download and save it in a higher-resolution, higher-quality format, go here.) Enjoy!

Comment

I've been thinking about using the Super Ferry for a island trip I have planned in October, but the prices involved don't seem to outweigh the time it takes to travel. Airline tickets are cheaper one-way and take 1/8th the time
                              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

In August and September OC16 plans to show a 30-minute special on the Superferry:

Monday 8/20/07, 8/27/07: 8:30pm
                                Wednesday 8/22/07, 8/29/07: 5:30pm
                                Thursday 8/23/07, 8/30/07: 9:30pm
                                Saturday 8/25/07, 9/1/07: 3:30pm
                                Sunday 8/26/07, 9/2/07: 9:30am

Comment

Working...
                                X