This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Good News! I had a return call this morning from Melissa McFerrin, Manager of Community Relations for Hawaii SuperFerry. She had called me back on Friday but it was long after I had left the office. and she had read my Email.

I got a very nice apology from her for the "misunderstanding" with their telephone person and also a promise of a follow-up to that problem. During our conversation Melissa informed me that yes, HSF does have a vehicle that is ADA equipped and which is used to take "mobility challenged" persons from the passenger terminal up into the loading deck of the boat. Once there, they have an elevator to take the passengers up to the various decks. That was very good news for me since that is what I will need to travel on Alakai. She apologized that this vechicle was not mentioned in the materials. I hope they will be able to remedy that since it would help future passengers.

I was very satisfied with the response I got from Melissa and appreciated her taking time to call me back this morning after missing me on Friday. I also told her about HT and this thread & invited her to check it out. Also, mentioned PZ's video & interview and the photos.

I very much look forward to a trip home from Maui in September!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Very good. I'm glad they recognized the need to address your concerns, and that you are satisfied with their response.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        It sounds like Fran will indeed get an apology shortly.
        And thus it came to pass! Hooray for the SuperFerry! Congratulations, Fran, and thanks for the update.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          And thus it came to pass! Hooray for the SuperFerry! Congratulations, Fran, and thanks for the update.

Maybe Ms. Melissa read the thread about the Canal House elevators and decided that a pit bull might add a bit of stress to her life!!!

YAY...Fran! You've undoubtedly helped many future, mobility challenged passengers.

And, kudos to Melissa at the SuperFerry for following thru.

Comment

I can't take any credit for this - they already had it available. If the incompetent staffer answering the phone would have answered my question, none of this would have been necessary!

Had to put the update on here - I promised Melissa that I would! Hopefully, she has come on the board as a visitor & read all the stuff that has been written about the SF. There have been many positive comments and some good suggestions also.

and yes, I did let her know that there were several media folks on this forum

Thanks to all of you for all the positive feedback to my whining!
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              I made the phone call yesterday morning, plenty of time for her to respond - even into the evening.

I'm a business person & understand the protocol of returning calls.
              Do you?

Good News! I had a return call this morning from Melissa McFerrin, Manager of Community Relations for Hawaii SuperFerry. She had called me back on Friday but it was long after I had left the office. and she had read my Email.
              So you put in a call on Friday morning. She tried to call you back on Friday night, but you didn't get the message until this morning.

The time frame seems perfectly reasonable. But when you didn't get an immediate response, you go running to HT to complain?

At least you're aware of it. Seems like all of this was uncalled for, IMO.

Plenty of people have been looking at the Superferry and scrutinizing EVERYTHING that they've done. I think it's kind of silly to think they wouldn't take care of accessibility issues, and it seems like I'm right.

As the saying goes: Patience is a virtue.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Maybe Ms. Melissa read the thread about the Canal House elevators and decided that a pit bull might add a bit of stress to her life!!!
              I'm sure she's got waaaaay more to worry about than people hiding behind computer screens on the Internet. The thinly-veiled threats of "I know REPORTERS on HT!" are amusing, though.

Comment

PJ - I have attempted to be nice to you in the past and look at things from your point of view. Sometimes you & I agree, sometimes you have some very wise things to add. But, your habit of picking little bits of postings and then commenting on them out of context is childish.

I don't "hide behind a computer screen on the internet" - far too many people on here know who I am (which is no one special), know where to find me & what I look like. Unlike some others on HT who DO hide behind a screen nickname/avatar. In fact, rumor has it that "Palolo Joe" is a second identity for a well known person on here who just wants to be an a**h*** without being called on it!

My Email was sent to Ms. McFerrin who very graciously responded to my concerns. We had a very lengthy and very pleasant conversation. An apology was offered and accepted. As far as I am concerned, that concludes any conflict I might have had with Hawaii SuperFerry.

Any reporter I may have "suggested" I might contact is not on HT. The whole world does NOT REVOLVE AROUND HAWAII THREADS!!!!! There are some of us who actually have contacts in the "real world".

All that being said, I would ask you very kindly & politely to GET THE F*** OUT OF MY FACE. Of course, you won't do that & will probably fire back instantly with more of your negativity & nastiness but I don't care. Say what you want, it's just "sticks & stones".

Have a nice evening
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

All that being said, I would ask you very kindly & politely to GET THE F*** OUT OF MY FACE. Of course, you won't do that & will probably fire back instantly with more of your negativity & nastiness but I don't care. Say what you want, it's just "sticks & stones".
                  Blah, blah, blah. I really don't care what you think about me.

And I'm glad you can admit that the world doesn't revolve around HT.

I don't use another login. Only signed up once. Suggesting otherwise is BS.

The point I was trying to make is this: You jumped the gun by getting on HT to whine about the lack of an immediate response from the Superferry rep.

If you had just kept your mouth shut and waited for a response, everything would have been fine.

You wrote that you understand the protocol of returning calls. It appears that you actually don't.

But... I'm glad you're satisfied with the outcome of your whining.

Comment

Had to put the update on here - I promised Melissa that I would! Hopefully, she has come on the board as a visitor & read all the stuff that has been written about the SF.
                    She surely hasn't had enough time. Remember, this is Chapter Four of the SuperFerry threads and there's a total of 749 messages! It would take her a month to read 'em all.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Heh. Good joke Tutu! Though I think a couple of folks may have missed the "pitbull" part as being a reference to your post in the Canal House elevator thread.

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                    So you put in a call on Friday morning. She tried to call you back on Friday night, but you didn't get the message until this morning. The time frame seems perfectly reasonable.
                    I agree completely with that. I do feel that Fran jumped the gun in expecting an instant response, as I posted at the time, and I also noted the SF staff was undoubtedly swamped the day before a major event. A little patience would have been appropriate before throwing the attack at the SF.
                    Fortunately all turned out well and it seems that Fran and SF Melissa have both apologized.

Plenty of people have been looking at the Superferry and scrutinizing EVERYTHING that they've done. I think it's kind of silly to think they wouldn't take care of accessibility issues
                    Indeed. As silly as someone else here claiming (very wrongly) that SF hadn't thought of internet connections... and even worse, having the audacity to imply that internet access was added literally overnight because of her post!
                    Fran had the decency to promptly apologize, whereas that other person, well...

Comment

I can't take any credit for this - they already had it available. If the incompetent staffer answering the phone would have answered my question, none of this would have been necessary!

Had to put the update on here - I promised Melissa that I would! Hopefully, she has come on the board as a visitor & read all the stuff that has been written about the SF. There have been many positive comments and some good suggestions also.

and yes, I did let her know that there were several media folks on this forum

I would have just shown up. With all the media attention it would have been better to be there in person than talk about it on this forum. Oh well, glad it got worked out. I would like to try out the SF also, but can't imagine myself becoming a "regular"...

Comment

From an item just posted at this link on the Advertiser's website:

"The U.S. Coast Guard will set up security zones during the transit of the Hawaii Superferry. The Alakai will have a circular security zone extending 100 yards out from and centered on the vessel inside the Honolulu, Kahului and Nawiliwili harbors, according to a news release issued today.
                        "The security zone will move with the vessel as long as it is within 3 nautical miles of the mouth of the harbor. Unless authorized by the U.S. Coast Guard captain, no person is allowed within 100 yards of the Alakai when it is under way or at anchor."

No surprises there. Just one step closer to starting service!

Comment

The 100 yard zone is being set up to keep the environmental whackos from getting in the way of the Superferry was it enters and exits the harbors and sails between the islands. Doing so will be a federal crime and punished as such.

On another note, Hawaii Superferry will be having a free, public open house for people on Maui and Kauai next week, August 18 and 19. Details at the Hawaii Superferry website.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The security zone applies to all ships anchored and transiting through certain approaches to harbors and anchorages. The distance varies from 100 yards to 500 yards, depending on the location in the islands. It's a post-911 regulation instituted by the Coast Guard to protect cruise vessels and naval ships from terrorist attack.

It was insituted initially in 2001 and was made permanent since 2003. It isn't specifically for the Superferry.

If you're operating a vessel in the vicinity, just be sure to have your VHF radio tuned to Ch. 16 just in case they need to hail you. If not, and you get too close, you might get a different kind of hail -- the kind made of lead.

Comment

Hawaii Superferry to start service August 28. I got the following email from the Superferry mail list:

We're Launching August 28th!

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Today we are announcing that our first day of service with inter-island voyages to Maui and Kaua‘i will be August 28, 2007. At 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 12, we will begin accepting reservations for travel between Aug. 28 – Jan. 15, 2008.

“We are excited to announce Alakai’s inaugural voyage on August 28,” said Hawaii Superferry President and Chief Executive Officer John Garibaldi. “Our crew and the Alakai completed route familiarization trips and certification process with flying colors. We take great pride in the unique inter-island travel experience that Hawaii Superferry will offer passengers and look forward to our maiden voyage.”

Discover a part of Hawai‘i that can only be viewed by sea. Spectacular panoramic views and amazing coastline cliffs will be your backdrop as you relax in comfortable reclining chairs and leather sofas. You'll also enjoy our onboard services that include a variety of dining, entertainment and shopping options. All this with the freedom to travel with a vehicle loaded with your gear.

Book now and be one of the first to experience flowing freely between the islands. Best fares can be found online at www.HawaiiSuperferry.com. You may also make reservations by calling 1-877-HI-FERRY (877-443-3779) from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. HST, seven days a week.

Thank you for your continued interest in Hawaii Superferry. We look forward to having you on-board soon!
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It's not over until it's over...whatever the final decisions in these two cases being heard this week are, it's too bad this all has to come down to the wire like this.

While anticipation builds about the beginning of Superferry service later this month, judges on Maui and in Honolulu are set to hear two legal challenges this week.

The first will be on Wednesday when 2nd Circuit Judge Joel August hears arguments on whether the state Department of Transportation has done enough to study the Superferry’s traffic impacts, said Irene Bowie, executive director of Maui Tomorrow, one of two plaintiffs, the other being the Kahului Harbor Coalition.

On Thursday, the Hawaii Supreme Court will Superferry hear an appeal of a July 2005 ruling by 2nd Circuit Court Judge Joseph Cardoza, who dismissed a lawsuit by the Sierra Club, Maui Tomorrow and the Kahului Harbor Coalition seeking an environmental impact statement for $40 million in harbor improvements. But the state has argued that harbor projects don’t trigger the need for an EIS. Those improvements include barges, a ramp, fencing and utilities provided for the ferry in Kahului, Honolulu, Nawiliwili and Kawaihae harbors.
                                Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X